Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Recent actions against some customer accounts

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Recent actions against some customer accounts

Nodnarbius
01.02.2012 , 04:21 PM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkZenith View Post
If you want an inflated and broken economy, sure. Just look at WoW, even low level items were being sold for 10x what they were actually worth, and it got progressively worse as time went on.

Please explain how you determined what an item is "actually worth"? Is it what you can sell it to a vendor for? Perhaps you do not understand market economy and aren't competent at making a profit. Worth is determined by what a person is willing to do/give for it. If I am willing to fish for hours on end to sell winter eel so that others can have their buff food, then whatever I want to charge for it is what it is worth. and if someone is smart enopugh to buy up everything I sell and make a little profit off of it, then what they sell it for becomes its worth. WoW's economy was not and is not broken, nor is inflated. I have no problem with BW banning gold sellers, becuase typically they are going to get the currency the esiest way possible - stealing your account. But if I want to risk getting killed by a mob or find an unguarded item then I should not be punished for camping it and waiting for it to spawn for as long as I want to devote to doing so.

sosolidshoe
01.02.2012 , 04:22 PM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by Jordan_Hoffman View Post
Are you implying that the people doing the exploit were unaware they were exploiting the game? I go from rich to poor by buying twenty copies of the game and systematically farming a high level area with low level characters..... What was I doing wrong?!?!?!?!
What bloody exploit?!

The OP by Reid stated that players accounts were warned or suspended because they went to Ilum and repeatedly looted containers in large numbers. By no definition of the term is that an exploit, in any other game I've ever played, or in any dictionary. There's no mention of using multiple accounts. There's no mention of any bugs being used even in a nonspecific sense.

Just because a credit seller engages in an activity does not necessarily mean that everyone who engages in that activity is a credit seller, and it's bloody disingenuous for Reid to use Apophasis(fallacy of argument by innuendo) to put people who were sanctioned for engaging in a normal gameplay activity without any warning from the developer that what they were doing was against the rules, are equivalent to credit sellers.

Credit sellers also send large amounts of credits from one character to another - am I going to get a warning or suspension for sending a chunk of money to an alt or a guildie? Credit sellers farm mobs for cash and items, am I going to get a warning or suspension for farming some mobs to grab the last few thousand XP I need to level ready for the next planet? How many times am I allowed to do Hammer Station in the hopes of getting the rare drop which looks like an Imperial Uniform so I can RP, before a Bioware CS agent decides that I'm a credit seller?

If Bioware are going to declare an entirely normal activity like looting containers more than once or camping a spawn for loot as taboo and subject to censure, the absolute least that is required is that they warn players first - how many days have these warnings and suspensions been going on for now? Yet this thread is the first official comment on the matter.

Finaly
01.02.2012 , 04:23 PM | #203
Quote: Originally Posted by PjPablo View Post
Agree. Playing the AH and participating in the economy is a popular metagame for quite a lot of folks in MMOs. This heavy-handedness is going to alienate some hardcore MMO players.
economy in a game where you are not able to loose something can not work...

look at EVE the economy there is really an economy... cause people can loose every frikkin ship the fly - thats where economy plays a role but within SWTOR you could care less if a speeder costs nothing or 8k - credits are worth nothing because everyone playing this game will have everything and he cannot loose it...

MadSquabbles
01.02.2012 , 04:24 PM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by PjPablo View Post
I don't think he is saying that here. However there appears to be some arbitrary limits on how much farming you can do or how much credits you can have.
man, just like ISPs we're being throttled on how much you can make...

Jordan_Hoffman
01.02.2012 , 04:24 PM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by sosolidshoe View Post
What bloody exploit?!

The OP by Reid stated that players accounts were warned or suspended because they went to Ilum and repeatedly looted containers in large numbers. By no definition of the term is that an exploit, in any other game I've ever played, or in any dictionary. There's no mention of using multiple accounts. There's no mention of any bugs being used even in a nonspecific sense.

Just because a credit seller engages in an activity does not necessarily mean that everyone who engages in that activity is a credit seller, and it's bloody disingenuous for Reid to use Apophasis(fallacy of argument by innuendo) to put people who were sanctioned for engaging in a normal gameplay activity without any warning from the developer that what they were doing was against the rules, are equivalent to credit sellers.

Credit sellers also send large amounts of credits from one character to another - am I going to get a warning or suspension for sending a chunk of money to an alt or a guildie? Credit sellers farm mobs for cash and items, am I going to get a warning or suspension for farming some mobs to grab the last few thousand XP I need to level ready for the next planet? How many times am I allowed to do Hammer Station in the hopes of getting the rare drop which looks like an Imperial Uniform so I can RP, before a Bioware CS agent decides that I'm a credit seller?

If Bioware are going to declare an entirely normal activity like looting containers more than once or camping a spawn for loot as taboo and subject to censure, the absolute least that is required is that they warn players first - how many days have these warnings and suspensions been going on for now? Yet this thread is the first official comment on the matter.
Definitely part of the guilty party. Lol
Live life quick...

Cameirus
01.02.2012 , 04:25 PM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemrodh View Post
So if your skill in slicing brings you to Ilum but your lvl isn't 40+ you get suspended ? Seems very unfair.

if this is not the case please correct me.
exactly.

so its not unbalanced to have a level 10 crafting alt, but it is to have a chracter utilising the slicing skill you levelled?

This is so much BS>

Also, seen emails of someone getting warned for buying stuff off the GTN and relisting.....now admittedly anyone prepared to use the GTN with its appaling interface must be up to something dodgy, but wth?

dingoperson
01.02.2012 , 04:25 PM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by fluke_nuke_em View Post
Would be using an exploit such as, hiding behind a wall that a boss is unintentionally unable to go around become a punishable offense? What about simply farming? What levels of afk farming are okay? This is the first MMO that I've seen something of this nature arise
You can't have seen many MMOs. World of Warcraft has considered attacking mobs from locations they can't reach an exploit for _years_.

eskachig
01.02.2012 , 04:26 PM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by TitanJJ View Post
is it really so hard to make creds legitimately?

why do you have to camp chests all day? and why do you need so many credits to begin with?
I just don't understand why looting nodes is somehow not legitimate. Personally I don't do it because I don't find it fun - but it's absolutely legitimate imo. That's what they are there for, to be looted.

And if someone is really focused on getting uber-rich, that's not a big deal to me, I don't really see how it unbalances the economy either. Does it really matter whether someone has a million credits at level 15 vs 50? Why? All they can do with their money is the same stuff anyone else can do, regardless of their level.

In any MMO there will be people who get really rich, because they spend the time doing unfun stuff to farm credits. It's sort of like real life that way. Let them - I'd rather be questing anyway. And maybe they'll buy the stuff I make, nobody else seems to want to.

dingoperson
01.02.2012 , 04:27 PM | #209
Quote: Originally Posted by Excedrin View Post
Ah yes, "I know it when I see it."
The pinnacle of legal principles.
Not exactly the pinnacle, more like the bedrock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culpability

fluke_nuke_em
01.02.2012 , 04:27 PM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by Zocat View Post
Can you link to those cases?
Can't find the post anymore, got buried in Reddit. But one had a screencap, seemed legit. I would like to think it involved an exploit or mod of some kind, although the email simply read that there was too much buying and selling GTN activity on the account and that it was against ToS.
I totally didn't shoot first.