Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strange Launcher Error

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

guardianlion
01.05.2012 , 05:06 PM | #31
*bump*

Packetdancer
01.05.2012 , 05:14 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by guardianlion View Post
Now I'm really stumped.
Hrm. Out of curiosity, what antivirus/firewall do you use? I know a couple guildmates had trouble with KOMODO, and switching to using Microsoft's free 'Microsoft Security Essentials' and the Windows Firewall got them up and running.

(BTW nice troubleshooting thread, it looks like you put a lot of effort into it)
Thanks! That's about the fifth incarnation of that thread, across three forums and several beta weekends. I figure at some point the troubleshooting guide is going to attain self-awareness and start maintaining itself. Which, hey, will save me some work.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

sgwhite
01.05.2012 , 05:15 PM | #33
I have had similar problems after countless repair attempts. I have completely uninstalled the game and tried a re-install. Now the launcher just continually downloads the movie asset and then tells me to repair so almost 3 days after now and i can't even install the game now. So EA/Bioware what is going on with this useless broken launcher and what are you doing to fix this issue if anything. I'm still trying to get the game installed, but even if i do finally manage to get it all working again as soon as you bring out the next patch on tuesday im guessing this will all happen again. I'm close to just giving up.

guardianlion
01.05.2012 , 05:28 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Packetdancer View Post
Hrm. Out of curiosity, what antivirus/firewall do you use? I know a couple guildmates had trouble with KOMODO, and switching to using Microsoft's free 'Microsoft Security Essentials' and the Windows Firewall got them up and running.
I'm running AVG free and and Zonealarm, I've checked Zonealarm, and it's not blocking the launcher etc, do you think switching to Windows firewall would help?

I would've thought It'd be worse, I haven't heard good things about Windows firewall, but as I said, I'll try anything at this point.

Grescal
01.05.2012 , 05:32 PM | #35
ive had a similar problem with this issue i just ended the launcher process as there was no program running and it worked fine its that background process that was causing the launcher to think it was still running dunno if that helps or if its been mentioned but if that process aint there then it should work
<DecemberCrew> Putting off today what we don't wanna do tomorrow either.

guardianlion
01.05.2012 , 05:39 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Grescal View Post
ive had a similar problem with this issue i just ended the launcher process as there was no program running and it worked fine its that background process that was causing the launcher to think it was still running dunno if that helps or if its been mentioned but if that process aint there then it should work
Thanks for the response, but I'm afraid that ending the process doesn't get it to work for me, I'd just re-click the icon and once again it wouldn't run except as a process in the task manager.

Packetdancer
01.05.2012 , 05:40 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Grescal View Post
For some people, killing launcher.exe and trying a second time works fine. However, guardian's tried reboots and all sorts of other things (across which the launcher process wouldn't persist) and the launcher still won't fully start; the 'one instance running' issue happens because the first launcher instance is still stuck in the startup phase when he tries to run the launcher a second time (having not seen the launcher appear).

I'm running AVG free and and Zonealarm, I've checked Zonealarm, and it's not blocking the launcher etc, do you think switching to Windows firewall would help?

I would've thought It'd be worse, I haven't heard good things about Windows firewall, but as I said, I'll try anything at this point.
I'd actually bet more on AVG than ZoneAlarm being at fault if one of them was to be. Still, if you're willing to do so, swapping out your antivirus and firewall for MSE and Windows Firewall can't hurt as experiments go. (And ZA, at least, actually is pretty good about letting you save off your settings so that you can reimport them if you reinstall.)

That said, ZoneAlarm Extreme Security surprised me about ten months back; I was having horrible bluescreens in D3D whenever I ran LOTRO, and after weeks of troubleshooting headaches I finally discovered the issue was in ZAES. Swapped ZAES out for Windows Firewall and the bluescreens went away. Surprised me, since I'd been using ZoneAlarm variants (ZoneAlarm, ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm Extreme Security) for six years or so. They did later fix the issue, but it was still startling to me to realize something I thought of as one of the most solid pieces of software on my machine had been the cause of all my pain and woe.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.