Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strange Launcher Error

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Smaois
01.02.2012 , 11:24 PM | #21 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by guardianlion View Post
Thanks for the response,

I've tried this solution numerous times after seeing it in another thread, but it didn't fix the problem.

Could you tell me what you think the problem is as well as potential fixes?
Greetings guardianlion,

Have you tried running the Launcher in compatibility mode for Windows XP?

Smaois | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

guardianlion
01.02.2012 , 11:36 PM | #22
Quote:
Greetings guardianlion,

Have you tried running the Launcher in compatibility mode for Windows XP?
I just gave it a go, and it hasn't worked either.

I need to sleep, thank you for your help this evening. I'll be back online tomorrow, hopefully a solution will have presented itself by then.

Thanks again

sabdizzle
01.02.2012 , 11:43 PM | #23
Why are you running 32bit windows 7 on a quad core chipset?

First and foremost i'd switch to win7 64bit if you have the install discs for it. I can't see how your quad core isn't 64bit enabled. But you'd have to check your bios to be 100% proof positive.

sabdizzle
01.02.2012 , 11:49 PM | #24
If you're launcher is actually in the file listing...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Then you might be running the 64bit version of the launcher and its not going to run on a 32-bit OS.

When i had the 32bit version it wasn't loading files with the (x86) tag. I could be wrong.

You could try saving the swtor_install executable off the website to your desktop. Try setting its compatibility to Windows XP. Then run that again and see what happens.

guardianlion
01.05.2012 , 03:27 PM | #25
Ok I'm back from a brief absence, and sad to say the problem's still there.

Quote: Originally Posted by sabdizzle View Post
If you're launcher is actually in the file listing...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Then you might be running the 64bit version of the launcher and its not going to run on a 32-bit OS.

When i had the 32bit version it wasn't loading files with the (x86) tag. I could be wrong.

You could try saving the swtor_install executable off the website to your desktop. Try setting its compatibility to Windows XP. Then run that again and see what happens.
Thanks for the response, I'm definitely running the 32bit version, also tried saving the installer to desktop and running it, but that didn't work.

guardianlion
01.05.2012 , 03:37 PM | #26
*bump*

Packetdancer
01.05.2012 , 03:47 PM | #27
A quick skim of the thread shows that you've tried a lot of the common ones (compatibility mode, fix launcher, reinstalling the setup program), so to toss a couple of the more esoteric ones out there:
  • Do you happen to have any Korg USB MIDI devices plugged in? If so, try unplugging them; there's a strange conflict with the program Korg uses for their USB support.
  • Do you have an Avid video editing box plugged in? If so, try unplugging that; there's an issue similar to the Korg one.
  • Are you running Skype in the background? Some people have said that Skype, for whatever reason, keeps the launcher from properly launching fully.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

guardianlion
01.05.2012 , 03:57 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Packetdancer View Post
A quick skim of the thread shows that you've tried a lot of the common ones (compatibility mode, fix launcher, reinstalling the setup program), so to toss a couple of the more esoteric ones out there:
  • Do you happen to have any Korg USB MIDI devices plugged in? If so, try unplugging them; there's a strange conflict with the program Korg uses for their USB support.
  • Do you have an Avid video editing box plugged in? If so, try unplugging that; there's an issue similar to the Korg one.
  • Are you running Skype in the background? Some people have said that Skype, for whatever reason, keeps the launcher from properly launching fully.
Thanks for the reply, I actually had to Google what the first two things were, so I haven't got either of those pugged in, and I haven't got Skype at all, so that can't be it either.

Are there any more esoteric reasons I can't get the game to run? Or even more common ones? I'll pretty much try anything to fix it at this point

Packetdancer
01.05.2012 , 04:00 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by guardianlion View Post
Are there any more esoteric reasons I can't get the game to run? Or even more common ones? I'll pretty much try anything to fix it at this point
I'd say the next step, then, would be to try doing a clean boot and see if the launcher loads. If so, then you know that something which was running was causing the issue; you can then start turning things back on until you see where it fails (and know one more thing that causes conflicts).

Other than that, I've tried to collect as many potential issues and solutions as I can in the troubleshooting guide linked in my signature; I don't know that any of them will help you, but it can't hurt to look there.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

guardianlion
01.05.2012 , 04:56 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Packetdancer View Post
I'd say the next step, then, would be to try doing a clean boot and see if the launcher loads. If so, then you know that something which was running was causing the issue; you can then start turning things back on until you see where it fails (and know one more thing that causes conflicts).

Other than that, I've tried to collect as many potential issues and solutions as I can in the troubleshooting guide linked in my signature; I don't know that any of them will help you, but it can't hurt to look there.
Ok, just got done trying the clean boot, and it doesn't look like anything was interfering with it, I also tried booting to safe mode + networking, and even then I still couldn't get it to run, so it can't be drivers either, right?

Now I'm really stumped.

(BTW nice troubleshooting thread, it looks like you put a lot of effort into it)