Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

Quickglue
06.01.2012 , 01:08 PM | #411
I have a question for you guys:

Which part of the tweaks disable the system wide V-Sync? All the tweaks in relation to themes and Windows Aero? or are there others too that will affect this?
Because I want to use this guide but I certainly do not want to turn off Aero since it means that the system V-Sync will also be switched off.

andy_gifted
06.11.2012 , 10:30 AM | #412
Great thread, has been a great help.

Quick question however. Since making these changes I can no longer set an image as my desktop background, only have a solid colour. I can't work out which of the changes I've made did this, if anyone can let me know that would be great.

Thanks

MartinSPT
06.11.2012 , 01:19 PM | #413
Quote: Originally Posted by andy_gifted View Post
Great thread, has been a great help.

Quick question however. Since making these changes I can no longer set an image as my desktop background, only have a solid colour. I can't work out which of the changes I've made did this, if anyone can let me know that would be great.

Thanks
Open Restore, and choose a point before you started making these changes. 99% of the items in this list achieve nothing, and many actually harm performance overall.

The main tip is to flip the XP Compatibility option on the Shortcut, this gives more GPU RAM to the game. That will speed up low end GPUs and low end VRAM systems, and will allow more RAM for high end systems, resulting in better quality textures being used.

Things like 'turn off Aero' 'turn off search' actually lower the overal performance of your computer and make NO impact on SWTOR. The author of this thread is using myths from the Vista era of computing, that have been refuted time and time again.

Bing/Google the items yourself, notice the actual technology sites that do performance testing and not just 'assume' tell people to leave these settings alone.

PeepsMcJuggs
06.21.2012 , 12:31 AM | #414
As a quick heads up to folks, GameBooster is no longer going to be offered for free after June 30th. If you haven't tried it yet, now's your last chance to get a full, free copy. Helped me a lot with my mid-range laptop: http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

RipperNyght
06.21.2012 , 12:44 AM | #415
I am running the game on all high settings with my new ASUS Gaming LapTop with WIN 7 HE. Runs beautifully with no drop offs or lag and smooth as silk. Now my wife has an Alienware LapTop with WIN 7 HE and it seems to be taking forever just to install and patch the game. Her system is barely lower then mine and I installed in a very short time for some reason.
S.W.T.O.R.
SITH SORCERESS
SITH 4 LIFE

JediMasterSkid
06.23.2012 , 03:55 PM | #416
I have horrible fps sometimes during the game it's a respectable 20-30 fps then it drops to 0.1 then to 1.0 fps for a few minuets and then it goes fine and this is just me on my ship. Her is my spec if someone could look at it for me please. I'm not very pc savvy at all. I'm just a bit scared to do what the starting post says to do with most things.

Spoiler

landino
11.08.2012 , 09:06 AM | #417
i have windows vista.. it has all the same stuff as win 7.. can i still follow this guide?

ZENSHINX
11.08.2012 , 10:39 AM | #418
Fantastic post. Will do some of these to speed up my system. Thank you very much for taking the time.
"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

khelavaster
11.21.2012 , 02:33 PM | #419
Great guide, Renegadeimp. Thank you so much! I just wanted to ask you what defragmenter you use and recommend?

whatsacody
12.03.2012 , 02:42 PM | #420
Thanks man this really sped up my laptop!!