Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

Xurk
12.16.2011 , 02:35 PM | #21
do not disable or uninstall .net

too many things depend on it, for instance ATI users have to have it for their full driver package to install.

do not disable random services, especially without knowing what might need them. search is well explained here, the rest are not. leave them on.

disabling screen font smoothing, etc, is pointless on current gen PCs, these features are not an impact on any processor newer than a pentium 4.

many of the ideas in this guide are simply holdovers from 10 years of trying to make gaming faster.
~~
In Theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice.
In Practice, there is.

Izodius
12.16.2011 , 04:05 PM | #22
Going to tend to agree. Disabling Aero is a solid tip, but really if that makes or breaks you, it's time to upgrade hardware. Generally a fresh install of Windows is going to be fine and need little to no tweaking on a modern PC.

lightofhope
12.16.2011 , 04:09 PM | #23
search google for blackviper gaming mode and apply the reg and reboot. That'll take care of most of the services for windows.
CE VIP

Soleus
12.16.2011 , 04:16 PM | #24
This looks to be a great guide. I'm wondering, and I know I'll get some flak for this, is there anything like this for....Vista....I know the dreaded vista. I don't have the money at the moment to go out and upgrade to another OS so I'm wondering how many of these options will work for me.

Thanks in advance.

Loginus
12.16.2011 , 06:21 PM | #25
I hope we will get some patches and driver updates soon, my rig (nothing super powerful - Q6600, 4GB ram and GTX 460) runs Battlefield 3 perfectly (almost everything on high) and I get about 35+ fps in SWTOR. If I switch on the shadows it is barely playable, mouse lag feels terrible.

I could try to switch off the vsync, but screen tearing would drive me mad :]

What I'm trying to say is not to worry too much if you have to keep your settings low or you experience fps drops, I bet it will be fixed. This game cannot be more demanding than BF3!

JMKodai
12.17.2011 , 02:31 AM | #26
Well, this stuff helped me out rather well! Thank you very much.
There is no knowledge that is not power... and I'm among the most powerful.

renegadeimp
12.17.2011 , 09:41 AM | #27
I know some people have issue with this guide, hoever, the point of this guide is aimed at those for who buying or upgrading their system just simply isn't a possibilty.

I also went into detail, so if there are any errors it is easy for the user to restore settings. You may not agree with this guide, however a LOT of people have gotten much more performance out of their machines by using it.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

wingchaps
12.17.2011 , 12:16 PM | #28
Renegadeimp, this guide was fantastic for me. I'm hitting obscene frame rates at good times, where I used to not be able to break 4 FPS. Thank you very much.

I still suffer times where my frame rate tanks, but I had this problem in WOW as well. I have no idea what it is. In WOW, if I restart my comp, it's fine again. It's better if I turn the video options down.

In SWTOR, I can just play through it, frame rates down around 8, then after awhile it goes back up to 20 to 30, or even up to 35 to 50, where it'll stay awhile before it tanks again.

Again, though, I think your guide gave me the ability to play SWTOR, and I'm grateful.

Kabrol
12.17.2011 , 01:51 PM | #29
Hi. Can someone help? Should I do this guide? Im running a hp pavilion dv7 laptop I did a comparison against the minimum requirements for swtor and passed them by far.. yet even on the lowest settings I cant seem to get more than 5 fps.. the games virtually unplayable.. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

Zezel
12.17.2011 , 01:55 PM | #30
Nice OP thanks