Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

Broletariatz
12.25.2011 , 10:35 PM | #121
I hope some new drivers and a patch that increase optimization for lower end systems is released. I need to use my crappy Asus G50vt till this summer, then I can get on to building a new desktop. Thanks for the help!

Frozztie
12.26.2011 , 02:53 AM | #122
posting a reply to "save" this thread since i dont really know any other way to save it.
anyone know if theres something like this for vista? ly laptop is ancient =P (3 years!)
//Lurking... Lurking... Always lurking...
Dont mind the spelling errors, im a dyslectic!\\

LeSamourai
12.26.2011 , 03:07 AM | #123
FYI, the latest nVidia beta drivers (from the 20th) gave me a HUGE jump in FPS; plus, they fixed a lot of the weird texture issues I was having.
meh, I just want to play SWTOR

Chaffery
12.26.2011 , 03:21 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Frozztie View Post
posting a reply to "save" this thread since i dont really know any other way to save it.
anyone know if theres something like this for vista? ly laptop is ancient =P (3 years!)
I bought my laptop with Vista, been using Win 7 since public beta, upgraded. 3 years ago Vista was terrible, that is all what I could tell you. Try upgrade to Win 7 ASAP, or if you could a new laptop with Win 7 pre installed.

And my contribution to thread, best de fragmenting software known to me: http://www.raxco.com/
It is called PerfectDisk and it does what name is. In offline (AKA after boot) mode can even de fragment directories (folders), system files and swap file. Handy stuff if you don't have SDD. Has 30 day trial.

Jason_Sunday
12.26.2011 , 04:37 AM | #125
This looks awesome! I can't wait to try it out!

morfius
12.27.2011 , 09:46 AM | #126
Some advices...
Don't disable services until you have good knowledge what exactly they do... otherwise you could have OS issues instead of boost.
Stop nerding witch OS is better, it depends on current hardware.
New OS works better on new hardware (even low budget one), older OS could over perform it dramatically on older but high end one.

I have done many performance tests, fastest Windows OS till now is 2003 server, but it is not easy to install on new chipsets and little mistake here could degrade performance very much.
So until you have a chipset that doesn't support XP, try both OS (all have trials on Microsoft sites if I remember right).
It is time consuming of course, to install 2 OS with all drivers and patches to do a series of benchmarks.

At least if you have ATI video, try to change settings there, not in game.
Little tweaking in ATI Catalist Control Center gave me about 10 FPS more...
(Nvidia center could also have such options but I have not been used Nvidia cards in years).

So my advise for average users - don't stop anything else than Aero, Sidebars, Search ... try your video driver software settings and avoid Vista, it is worst in performance from all Windows I have tested.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Loekii
12.27.2011 , 09:51 AM | #127
Great post. Although I am still on Vista 64b, thank you for posting this.

Could you post a 'Before' and 'After' Ingame Screenshot in the OP, maybe to demonstrate the potential improvement?
Not Happy with the State of TOR?

Cancel your subscription until you see BW improve the game to your liking. Vote with your Wallet.

Crawelc
12.27.2011 , 12:49 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by LeSamourai View Post
FYI, the latest nVidia beta drivers (from the 20th) gave me a HUGE jump in FPS; plus, they fixed a lot of the weird texture issues I was having.
I have checked Nvidia website every day since pre releas and they show no new drivers, where do I find the beta ones?

renegadeimp
12.27.2011 , 04:53 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
I have checked Nvidia website every day since pre releas and they show no new drivers, where do I find the beta ones?
You have to go to sites like guru3d as they get released there first, due to modders and serious enthusiasts visiting there.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.