Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

MasterMactastic
12.24.2011 , 01:37 PM | #111
This guide did somewhat help run the game. I give this guide 5 stars

Xupastars
12.24.2011 , 01:46 PM | #112
Good guide, i will give it a shot after this christmas days...
Caetano Dark-Side Human Commando Legions of Lettow

emartell
12.24.2011 , 01:54 PM | #113
I did this and feel is was a huge improvement. I run a lower/mid range at very high settings

Apax
12.24.2011 , 02:31 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Loginus View Post
I hope we will get some patches and driver updates soon, my rig (nothing super powerful - Q6600, 4GB ram and GTX 460) runs Battlefield 3 perfectly (almost everything on high) and I get about 35+ fps in SWTOR. If I switch on the shadows it is barely playable, mouse lag feels terrible.

I could try to switch off the vsync, but screen tearing would drive me mad :]

What I'm trying to say is not to worry too much if you have to keep your settings low or you experience fps drops, I bet it will be fixed. This game cannot be more demanding than BF3!
Er, you should not be experiencing barely playable performance with shadows on. You and I have (in summary, at least) the same hardware and the performance is fine on my end. We may have different opinions on what is playable (I don't require 60 FPS to play a game; over 30 is fine for me).

Now, that said, the performance is complete crap when you compare it to how well other games run. SWToR shouldn't be anywhere near as demanding as it is. The art and gameplay features simply don't justify it.

renegadeimp
12.24.2011 , 04:05 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Apax View Post
Er, you should not be experiencing barely playable performance with shadows on. You and I have (in summary, at least) the same hardware and the performance is fine on my end. We may have different opinions on what is playable (I don't require 60 FPS to play a game; over 30 is fine for me).

Now, that said, the performance is complete crap when you compare it to how well other games run. SWToR shouldn't be anywhere near as demanding as it is. The art and gameplay features simply don't justify it.
Since there is a confirmed bug in the shadow engine, yes, he could be experiencing it. The last part of your post is pure speculation on your part. Lets try not to derail the thread.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

danielswann
12.24.2011 , 11:01 PM | #116
I was running at anywhere from 5-20 fps and averaging about 11-15 before i did what this person recommended.

Now im peaking at 30 and averaging around 20.

Ati Radeon hd 4200 (desktop). 512mb.

All settings are as low as they can go. It's not ideal but, at least it's consistent enough to be semi effective in pvp.

Thought i would let everyone know.

Sulamar
12.25.2011 , 03:34 AM | #117
Thanks for the guide.

-Espionage-
12.25.2011 , 04:08 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
Windows 7 uses less resources and performs a LOT better than xp on pretty much any system.
nope. I just installed Win7 on my 2003 desktop, took around 9+ hours to install all updates including SP1... whereas XP took 3-4 hrs. The lacking HDD speed on that computer is also a great deal more noticeable on 7 then XP.

I had a 2005 laptop that performed better on XP then 7 as well.

MadEasy
12.25.2011 , 08:34 AM | #119
Thank you for the guide, it made a world of difference !! I'm running a low end computer.

In a month or so I'll be getting a new computer and will still be using some of the stuff you posted.

THZ
Can I Play With Madness !!!

renegadeimp
12.25.2011 , 12:05 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by -Espionage- View Post
nope. I just installed Win7 on my 2003 desktop, took around 9+ hours to install all updates including SP1... whereas XP took 3-4 hrs. The lacking HDD speed on that computer is also a great deal more noticeable on 7 then XP.

I had a 2005 laptop that performed better on XP then 7 as well.
Then there is a problem with that system. Pretty much every benchmark of win7 says otherwise, as well as personal experience with at least 300 different systems.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.