Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

Jarodd
12.23.2011 , 11:48 AM | #101
On top of that it fixed the Fullscreen windowed mode for me !! That really improves my experience of the game

Thanks for this !

Baizak
12.23.2011 , 02:37 PM | #102
Will this guide also work for Vista?
Proud Member of <The Meat Bags> on the Corellian Run Server
Mains: Mistai and Baltimore

Teali
12.23.2011 , 03:57 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Teali View Post
I have a pretty good computer but for some reason I still experience laggy/choppy gameplay. It's not my connection issues, I'm guessing it's my graphics card.

Here are my PC specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz

RAM: 6.00 GB (5.75 GB usable)

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics [HP 2310]

I also have plenty of hard drive space because its a 1 TB Hard-drive. I really would like to figure out whats wrong... Would it help if I reformatted my PC? I am really thinking that is is my graphics card so if it is, give me some advice on what I should get.
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
That GPU is absolutely terrible. It is classed as extreme low end, and is not recommended for 3d graphics in any way. And that is what the manufacturer says. Upgrade that GPU and your game should be running good.

I suggest a AMD 5750 or Nvidia 260. You could even get by with a 5450. Tho 5770 would give you a few more FPS.
I have been looking at some graphics cards to purchase and I don't know which to get for my computer. I also have no idea what some of the stuff means. I have been told that the ATI Radeon HD 6850 is a really good video card but you suggested the 5750/5770. Will those work for my PC?

On the websites that sell these cards are advertising them as Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850 or Visiontek AMD Radeon HD 6850 or even Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850... What's the difference lol?

renegadeimp
12.23.2011 , 06:21 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Baizak View Post
Will this guide also work for Vista?
Some parts will, but i reccomend upgrading to win 7 at the earliest opportunity. It is WELL worth the investment as everything just runs smoother.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

renegadeimp
12.23.2011 , 06:23 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Teali View Post
I have been looking at some graphics cards to purchase and I don't know which to get for my computer. I also have no idea what some of the stuff means. I have been told that the ATI Radeon HD 6850 is a really good video card but you suggested the 5750/5770. Will those work for my PC?

On the websites that sell these cards are advertising them as Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850 or Visiontek AMD Radeon HD 6850 or even Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850... What's the difference lol?
5750 and 5770 are solid mid range cards that are really good value for money. With those cards and your GPU, you should easily get nice fps on mid-high settings. The 6850 is a superb card as well, although i'd be hesitant with your system as the cpu could bottleneck it slightly. It is designed to run on high end systems or at least i5's and above.

If you can get a 6850 cheaply, then by all means get one, as they blow the 5770 out of the water. However, if you are on a budget, then stick with the 5750 / 5770.
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

KoyHalloren
12.23.2011 , 06:24 PM | #106
The whole "change the number of cores at boot" business is bunk also, FYI.

renegadeimp
12.23.2011 , 06:32 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by KoyHalloren View Post
The whole "change the number of cores at boot" business is bunk also, FYI.
Thats still up for debate as there are various studies about it. Personally i believe the same as you do, however, i still included it anyway as it never hurts to do it.

ssssam
12.23.2011 , 08:37 PM | #108
my fps is ok with settings on low and no shadows etc. but my computer crashes all the time when im playing the game. it happens like every 5-10 minutes, sometimes i can play for up to an hour but its still crippling. i dont know why this happens but i think it has to do with something overheating and i was wondering if applying the stuff in this guide will help with my problem too.

Trupoo
12.24.2011 , 12:20 AM | #109
Oh wow..
Knowing my computer met the minimum requirements to play this game I ofc bought it but to my suprise it was almust unplayable for me. Tryed everything, but I was forced to play with minimum settings at 800x600 @ 21,5 screen and even then the fps was horrible.

Then I found this guide, and did everything in it and all off a sudden im playing at 1600x1200 and the game is floating with no fps problems at all. Just wanted to say thanks alot for this guide!

the_worm
12.24.2011 , 10:03 AM | #110
Going to have to try some of these out on my pc.