Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting upgrade proposals

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting upgrade proposals

Hett
01.02.2012 , 10:00 AM | #1
I'm writing this thread to highlight some big issues about crafting skills and some ideas on how to solve them.

Comes to mind how Bioware told us they rushed a new crafting system into the game at the very end of the Game Testing. The game breaking issues that afflict crafting teach the lesson of how dumb is to rush a system into a game without testing it. I'm sure they already on a tight schedule and could not possibly postpone the game, but I believe they should have postponed the crafting skills, instead of borking them like this, and having now to solve the big problem with the game already launched and all the issues about changing crew skills people have already maxed out. But a late solution is still much better than leaving the crafting system in the current state.

Please stay in topic, point at any error I made in the schemes and add your tons of costructive cents, hopefully they will get some good ideas from our feedback.

This is Crafting so far:

Armormech:
Tech Armor
Synthweaving:
Force Armor
Armstech:
Tech Weapons | Barrels
Artifice:
Hilts | Color Crystal mods | Enhancements | Generators | Shields | Foci | Relics
Cybertech:
Granades | Mods | Armoring | Earpieces | Droid Parts | Ship Mods | Speeders | Vibro
Biochem:
Stims | Medpacks | Implants

Proposed solution to balance skills:
- give Armor/Synth the schematics for Armoring mods
- give off-hands to the relevant crafting skills
- give Cybertech all the non-rating modifications
- give Artifice weapon schematics and relic schematics progression (not just at 400 and for all force weapons)

This would be the result:
Armormech:
Tech Armor | Tech Armoring mod
Synthweaving:
Force Armor | Force Armoring mod
Armstech:
Tech Weapons | Barrels | Tech Shields/Generators | Tech Relics | Granades
Artifice:
Force Weapons | Hilts | Foci | Force Shields/Generators | Force Relics | Color Crystals
Cybertech:
Mods | Enhancements | Earpieces | Droid Parts | Ship Mods | Speeders
Biochem:
Stims | Medpacks | Implants

* Note: Force Weapons/Armor refer to weapons/armor usable by Sith and Jedi classes
* Note: Tech Weapons/Armor refer to weapons/armor usable by Troopers, Bounty Hunters, Smugglers and Imperial Agents

This proposed solution would:
- give 'armorsmithing' skills all the armoring assets
- give 'weaponsmithing' skills weapon and offhand assets, plus Color Crystals for artifice because it makes lore sense
- give to Cybertech all the 'non-rating' mods plus the 'others' category
- Biochem makes perfect sense as it is now

Core improvements and fixes:

1. Rework the schematics lists for the 'armorsmithing' skills to have two versions (main stat or endurance focused) of a full set every 5 levels, starting from level 9, plus lvl 50 gear, instead of item levels spread all over the place and enforcing the concept of 'set'. The crafting interface should reflect and organize this;
2. "Armorsmithing" skills have schematics with mixed names , i.e.:
Heavy Power Belt +15 Aim +10 Endurance
Heavy Power Gauntlets +19 Aim +33 Endurance
Schematics names should be matched (a set focused on endurance and the other on the main stat, without mixing).
3. Rework the schematics lists to have only green schematics from the trainer, reducing the chaos of the recipe list and granting prototype and better qualities only to dedicated crafters;
4. The RE mechanic is a grind fest, where you have to deplete the cash of entire planets to have each purple schematic for each piece of armor:
The solution could be to create a new kind of mod, say 'Expansion' mod/slot,
Cybertech would be the skill crafting these new mods,
Premium quality items come without any Expansion slot, Prototype with just one, Artifact with two, Legendary with three; This will reduce the number of schematics needed to have every variation and involve Cybertech more in the crafting stack;
5. Commendation vendors should sell the schematics of the items they sell, in alternate colors;
6. Moddable should also come in different qualities to be able to slot in up to three Expansion mods and be able to 'crit' to host one augment, giving the crafted item the edge they need to be desirable over items simply bought from an NPC;
7. +crafting critical and +RE chance critical stims should be awarded by commendation vendors and crafted by Biochem crafters. This will involve Biochem in the crafting stack instead of leaving it outside;
8. PvP gear moddable and expertise mods craftable http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=117078 - by Renlotho
I think this can easily fall into my ideas. Schematics for aesthetically alternative PvP gear on the same vendor and 'Expansion' mods with +expertise into the game.
9. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=122849 by deserttfoxx
Reusable stims/medpacks should have a finite number of uses, not infinite following this scheme:
Premium: 1 use
Prototype: 3 uses
Artifact: 5 uses
Legendary: 10 uses
A crit could give a small bonus to the stat bonus for stims and raise the lower end of the healing range for medpacks or stay as it is now (doubled production)
10. by Outsiide in this thread and a lot of people everywhere on the forums: the point of crafting is to create a player ran market, and crafted BOP items make no sense at all. So we need crafted items to be all BOE.
11. Less randomness please! by Stormseeker (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132950)
- Mission skills need some tweaks to give player more control on what to get. We are too often required to do useless missions (like gifts when looking for fabrics, for example) just to flush missions' list
- Full RNG gives no predictability on RE and doesn't reward hard work when sometimes you can get the schematic proc at the first try or could be without a proc at the 250th. This can lead to situations where a dedicated crafter is less rewarded than a casual crafter.
12. Orange sets should include gloves and boots for coherent visuals.

UI improvements and fixes:
1. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=123280 by Bitterdew
- Ability to link profession in chat to show your recipes to guildmates and so on
- A +1 button beside the cancel button to add the same recipe to the production without going through all the windows
- Crafting window should remember its previous state (schematic selected and filtering used) when closing and reopening it
- Auto stack items when moving them from bank to backpack and vice-versa
- When you see a schematic in a chat or inventory, it should clearly state 'already known' if... already known (Comment by Sticksabbi)
2. by Rhaphael in this thread
- In the crafting window, multiple entries of various quality for the same base item horribly clutter the interface. Each entry should instead have a "+" in front that makes it expand into the better versions of that recipe you have discovered or alternatively the upgraded schematics could sport an icon before the name speaking for the quality achieved so far and place checkboxes in the right side to be able to select the version to produce, defaulting to the best one.
- Moddable items in the crafting interface should sport the orange name, while atm they show in blue.
3. from GnatB's ideas in this thread
- give crafters the ability to unlearn schematics (i.e. a "veracity" medium armor chestpiece)
- more/better filtering options for the schematics list
4. Previewing items from schematics - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132169 by Jiayuan
The fact is we have to buy schematics without knowing how the final item looks like. Being able to preview it like any item (even yet to be crafted) would be an useful improvement (expecially for orange items).
5. by QuickSaveTV in this thread: "Add a series of 6 buttons in Mission/Gathering skills mission interface instead of a dropdown menu. Each number will represent the grade of the materials found on these missions greatly speeding up the sending process and also making it much more comfortable.
6. by StealthStalker (http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...php?t=156221): Mission Complete? Allow me to automatically accept them if there's inventory space or get minimized to the pending area if not.

Galactic Trade Network improvements:

1. Galactic Market Vendors: Why not in every Spaceport? (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=92194) by Iheamylap
Pretty much self explanatory. It's Galactic, then why just on the fleet and not at least in every spaceport and main town (not outposts, maybe) around the galaxy. And its a Network, and a network with a single node is not that. Should crafting ever become useful you would like people to access to crafters' production from all over the galaxy. This would also make the space station in the imperial/republic fleet a bit less crowded, also improving user experience.

2. Auctions GTN misses auction and action w/ buyout functions, everything is fixed price. We should have all of the three options for selling there.

3a. Guild Auctions We need an option to sell things in the GTN to guildmates only.
3b. VIP Auctions by RpTheHotrod in this thread
A cool and simple feature would be to be able to add an item for sale to GTN with a set of up to three starting&bo price. Public, Guild and VIP.
Public would be the price for everyone. Guild as in 3a. VIP would need a new custom list (like Friend list) for each player to add special customers to it and give them their VIP price (they can be from friend guilds or just stock or usual buyers).

Simple fixes

1. by Outsiide on this thread: And another thing the drop rate on cybertech skems from slicing is way to high, you can pick up all the grade 2 ship part skems for under 500 creds on my server.

Things that need a bit more brainstorming

1. Should Color Crystals be Cybertech schematics, provided they are "general" mods, not rating mods, and they go into lightsabers as well as into blasters?

Hett
01.03.2012 , 01:08 AM | #2
reserved for future use

GloamingLeuceti
01.03.2012 , 02:14 AM | #3
FYI,
I'm only 200 arti, but I've yet to see even one relic recipe... I CAN get relics (randomly) from Treasure Hunting missions, but i CAN'T craft them.
I also get zero lightsaber recipies until the last tier, until then ALL ligtsabers are from quests/drops/vendors ONLY.
Cybertech get elecro-staves apperantly, not to mention that droid parts alone nearly fully equips a companion, and everyone has a space ship to equip. Giving Cybertech yet another craftable seems a little exessive especially when taking it from artificers.

If you expect Artificers to be happy with loosing enhancements, shields and generators, you might want to advocate that they actually DO get relics, sabers and electro-staves/blades for all tiers otherwise all your doing is leaving then with hilts, color crystals and an offhand item (useable by force DPS/support only).

Hett
01.03.2012 , 02:50 AM | #4
Maybe I should rewrite the scheme about the crafting as it is now to better reflect what you say, stay tuned

Sugerbabe
01.03.2012 , 02:53 AM | #5
or just leave them as is.

it works and ppl are ok with it.

Hett
01.03.2012 , 03:00 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by GloamingLeuceti View Post
FYI,
I'm only 200 arti, but I've yet to see even one relic recipe... I CAN get relics (randomly) from Treasure Hunting missions, but i CAN'T craft them.
I also get zero lightsaber recipies until the last tier, until then ALL ligtsabers are from quests/drops/vendors ONLY.
Cybertech get elecro-staves apperantly, not to mention that droid parts alone nearly fully equips a companion, and everyone has a space ship to equip. Giving Cybertech yet another craftable seems a little exessive especially when taking it from artificers.

If you expect Artificers to be happy with loosing enhancements, shields and generators, you might want to advocate that they actually DO get relics, sabers and electro-staves/blades for all tiers otherwise all your doing is leaving then with hilts, color crystals and an offhand item (useable by force DPS/support only).
I made some tweaks to the lists to take this into account.

Artificers lose Enhancements and Shields, getting back actual weapons (both lightsabers and vibrothings for force users) and Relics (now not craftable)

DustomaticGXC
01.03.2012 , 03:08 AM | #7
I really don't think they need to change anything until we see how the market changes when the majority of players have at least one 50 and there is more cash in circulation.

Changing anything based on what you see during the leveling phase of a brand new game/server is asinine.
Don't act like you didn't see this coming.

Hett
01.03.2012 , 03:12 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DustomaticGXC View Post
I really don't think they need to change anything until we see how the market changes when the majority of players have at least one 50 and there is more cash in circulation.
When there is more cash in circulation do you think anyone will buy something from, say, an Armormech crafter? The problem is not cash, the problem is you cannot sell anything as there is better gear you can get without using a single credit. And the other fact is "armorsmiths" don't make the armor mods, and that is asinine.

Quote:
Changing anything based on what you see during the leveling phase of a brand new game/server is asinine.
Asinine is to rush a huge crafting and itemization change to a game without testing it. And that is what happened about a month before release.

ryuukhang
01.03.2012 , 04:27 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Hett View Post
I made some tweaks to the lists to take this into account.

Artificers lose Enhancements and Shields, getting back actual weapons (both lightsabers and vibrothings for force users) and Relics (now not craftable)
You CAN craft Relics. Just have to wait till 400.

Hett
01.03.2012 , 04:55 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ryuukhang View Post
You CAN craft Relics. Just have to wait till 400.
Fixed the op, thx