Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Lightmgl
01.03.2012 , 03:10 PM | #521
Quote: Originally Posted by fallenvirtues View Post
I personally dont see a problem with the animation carrying out in instant attack before damage is applied or whatever, as long as the animation for it starts the exact same time you hit the button...
I actually prefer it this way as it allows me to have an Explosive Dart, Tracer Missile, Heatseaker Missile, and Rail Shot all hurt the target at the same time. Well actually its kind of unfair but hey if you guys are defending the system you're defending my 10k pvp burst combo.

fallenvirtues
01.03.2012 , 03:10 PM | #522
Quote: Originally Posted by gurugeorge View Post
I agree with this. The more I play, the more I find this to be the case - it's not a problem with the system or the design, it's with uneven implementation somehow. Sometimes the combat is sweet and "in the pocket", other times there's definitely a sluggishness there.

It seems to me that there's a distinction here between people who simply want to play WoW gameplay dressed up in Star Wars graphics, and people who are willing to give a slightly different combat style a chance.

See, for me, the WoW style of animation clipping - I actually hated that. And part of the reason why I hated that was part of the reason I couldn't get into WoW, despite realising that it's a tremendously well-made product. It made the characters sort of "cheap". It was sort of ok given the overall cartoonish feel - it made the characters light-hearted and un-serious. But you can't have that same attitude to Star Wars characters - the overall fell of the game has to be more "serious", more "epic". At the end of the day, WoW's system is not the be-all-and-end all of combat styles, it's just something that some people have gotten used to. (And before anybody gives it the "But us competitive players made WoW successful!" malarkey, may I remind them of the famous statistic that the vast majority of WoW's players never get beyond lvl 35 )

I much prefer the approach in SWTOR where the animations are more integrated with the feel of combat, where I'm actually enjoying the animations and the "show" on the screen, and what the character is visibly doing feels more integrated with my button pressing.

That is ... when it works like that. And it most definitely doesn't work so sweetly all the time, and that most definitely is a problem.
I agree with this...If everything was sync'd up perfectly for EVERYBODY then we would be all set...

I like their approach to combat, but its no secret that people are having either problem A, problem B or combo of both...
100% Killer 100% Explorer 100% Socializer 0% Achiever

Terko_Koslah
01.03.2012 , 03:11 PM | #523
The people who believe in this matter should really look in to it. I am sure this ability delay/character responsiveness can be pieced in to tiny bits and that those bits can be displayed clearly. I hope the people who feel passionate about this matter will achieve this.

Zakumene
01.03.2012 , 03:12 PM | #524
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightmgl View Post
I actually prefer it this way as it allows me to have an Explosive Dart, Tracer Missile, Heatseaker Missile, and Rail Shot all hurt the target at the same time. Well actually its kind of unfair but hey if you guys are defending the system you're defending my 10k pvp burst combo.
Missile travel time isn't really what they're talking about.

I don't really notice any of these issues on my BH either, all of the abilities have predictable animations and travel times. You learn this by playing the game and leveling up...

Lightmgl
01.03.2012 , 03:13 PM | #525
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakumene View Post
Missile travel time isn't really what they're talking about.

I don't really notice any of these issues on my BH either, all of the abilities have predictable animations and travel times. You learn this by playing the game and leveling up...
Naw not by itself but there is about a half second wind up on Rail Shot that is what lets me land all 4 at once or land a Rail Shot after someone has already moved out of LOS cause it checks LOS at button press not animation cast.

And yeah, it is my Merc that does not have these issues. Merc skill execution speed at least for Arsenal seems how it should be. If you've played a Sniper or a Sorc though it is terrible and many of the instant casts have long wind ups or the cast bar casts have long wind downs.

I do kind of notice it a bit with unload though, the pacing of the ticks seems awkward and there is an annoying wind up to it.

fallenvirtues
01.03.2012 , 03:13 PM | #526
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightmgl View Post
Mind you, I'm not defending anything at all...I just want, no matter what system is in place, a perfectly working combat system for all!

I like how they do things, but you have peeps having a problem with hitting the button and then .5 or more later, the animation starts...Then you have people like me that get absolutely no response sometimes, and then a lot experiencing both...

Until that gets addressed, people will not be able to enjoy SWTOR's combat no matter how good its suppose to be, if its not working completely 100% perfect
100% Killer 100% Explorer 100% Socializer 0% Achiever

Filinto
01.03.2012 , 03:14 PM | #527
I would like to constructively underline that I also experience, skill lag, response delay, animation not flowing on damage result, skill stuck.

I rather have less complex animations then then huge delay on damage result. When using mutiple skills im not sure witch skill do what damage because everything is just messy.

I think this is easy to solved. Lets get to work.

Etravex
01.03.2012 , 03:15 PM | #528
I personally don't see a problem with the animation carrying out in instant attack before damage is applied or whatever, as long as the animation for it starts the exact same time you hit the button...
Your right in theory: that it would be fine "as long as the animation for it starts the exact same time you hit the button."

Here is the problem. Animations aren't being governed by the internal clock of the game. In other words, animations are tied to that persons connection to the game. Animations are irregular at best; sometimes they happen perfectly, sometimes they take awhile to get started sometimes they happen to fast. Animations in this game are unreliable and spontaneous.

Now with that concept in mind put 20 people with varying connections in the same room and let them fight where their ability executions are tied to their animations and what do you have? A mess

The only way to really fix the character responsiveness is to tie every ability and execution to a strict internal clock that everyone is subject too. Only then will things become fluid. Sure you may have some screwy looking and clipped animations at times, but you will have a responsive game.

CVSiN
01.03.2012 , 03:15 PM | #529
Quote: Originally Posted by dcjoker View Post
Wow you don't get it all. There's a difference between wanting a responsive functional game and wanting a insta death pvp game bro.

The game is not slower paced. It simply is not working as it should. How can you explain being able to interrupt instant casts and off gcd abilities not registering after 3+ globals?

Yeah sure you're a better player than me because your animination happened to not lock your abilities out and mine did okay.

Go look through the videos in these threads and tell me you have not experience a single one of those issues. And again fraps a Warzone for us because that's where it is most noticeable - at least for me.
Then I am not having the same issues as you at all..

my gameplay is ICE smooth.. if i press a key it fires no delay.. and I play a Mar so that matters alot..

there is no delay except at times of server lag and that is rare.
Darth Vixi L50 Sith Marauder
Sixxie L50 Operative
Fragged L50 Merc

Lightmgl
01.03.2012 , 03:15 PM | #530
Mind you, I'm not defending anything at all...I just want, no matter what system is in place, a perfectly working combat system for all!

I like how they do things, but you have peeps having a problem with hitting the button and then .5 or more later, the animation starts...Then you have people like me that get absolutely no response sometimes, and then a lot experiencing both...

Until that gets addressed, people will not be able to enjoy SWTOR's combat no matter how good its suppose to be, if its not working completely 100% perfect
The zero responsiveness is terrible, I get it alot. There seems to be some annoying bug where the game thinks you're moving sometimes too and won't let you use cast time abilities until you use an instant to "fix" it.

BTW to the above post, Marauder is the other class with Merc that does not really have this issue. Their skill execution times are very fast.