Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Lightmgl
01.03.2012 , 02:57 PM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
PVP in this game is a side event, like space combat. They are not going to balance it.
Who is talking about PvP? I mean DPS in general. As long as I can perform my abilities at GCD and another class cannot they will never ever be nearly as good as me.

I am fortunate that my animations are quick, I can spam my abilities all at GCD speeds no problem.

Etravex
01.03.2012 , 02:58 PM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakumene View Post
Instant cast means when it casts - its instant, so no cast bar, so no need to stand still while casting it. Does it say "as soon as you press this button the buff is applied and the animation following it is just for show" in the tooltip? It still fits the description for "instant cast". The buff lining up with the animation is broken how exactly? Can you still use another ability immediately after the invoked GCD is over?

If you are pressing a button and committing 1.5 seconds of GCD - then explain how it matters if the damage/buff is applied in the beginning or the end of the 1.5 seconds - since you keep the beneficial mobility associated with the "instant" portion of the ability.
The intent of this process is to show the delay between you (the user hitting the button) and when the system applies the instant cast. We all want instant response; we want to see instant casts apply "exactly" when I hit the button for it not a split second later. Wow is another example of the perfection of this response system. When you used an instant ability it was applied "instantly" there was no delay between pushing the button and when the buff is applied.

Gurkburkenen
01.03.2012 , 02:58 PM | #513
PVP in this game is a side event, like space combat. They are not going to balance it.

Are you serious?

PVP should not be considered a side event. Your post is plain stupid.

Terko_Koslah
01.03.2012 , 02:59 PM | #514
Quote: Originally Posted by Halacs View Post
This has been done. This has nothing top do with wow other then to compare smooth interface over this one. Lots of video's posted as well. BW has already started to look into it. This is still a problem, you can belive it or not. Did I mention BW is looking into it? Yeah its real.
When was the last time you read the first post? There is no such list that I am asking for.

Ahlin
01.03.2012 , 02:59 PM | #515
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightmgl View Post
Who is talking about PvP? I mean DPS in general. As long as I can perform my abilities at GCD and another class cannot they will never ever be nearly as good as me.

I am fortunate that my animations are quick, I can spam my abilities all at GCD speeds no problem.
Indeed. I can guarantee that the way animations work in relation to the GCD is easily holding down my DPS. It's speculation but I'd say it's at least 30-40% less than I could do if I could hit each button as soon as it was up.

Etravex
01.03.2012 , 03:02 PM | #516
I don't know where this came from to give credit but it is perfect for an understanding on this issue:

http://i.imgur.com/oGeam.png

Tinkersw
01.03.2012 , 03:05 PM | #517
Yeah, see this is an example of how bioware intended combat to work, nice and slow paced.

Bioware designed combat so you press a button once, then wait for animation to end ( or almost end) and then press your next action. Nice and slow paced.

If you press a button during animation too soon, or press a button more then once, bioware punishes you with lag and unresponsive controls, cause you are not playing the game as intended by bioware.

Bioware just needs to make an official statement that combat is turn based, and they need to remove the GCD and off GCd abilities and tell players to just watch the animations, and play off of animations.

If you want a fast paced action game, SWTOR is not for you, this should be clearl and obvious by now to anyone who has followed this thread.
Are you serious??? That is how they made Disney's Toontown online (you would love it)nice and slow and NO pvp!
Your post blows my mind .... just nonsense! Any MMO made today needs to be competative in PVP and PVE, and this can not be done watching animation.
GET REAL!

fallenvirtues
01.03.2012 , 03:06 PM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by Etravex View Post
The intent of this process is to show the delay between you (the user hitting the button) and when the system applies the instant cast. We all want instant response; we want to see instant casts apply "exactly" when I hit the button for it not a split second later. Wow is another example of the perfection of this response system. When you used an instant ability it was applied "instantly" there was no delay between pushing the button and when the buff is applied.
I personally dont see a problem with the animation carrying out in instant attack before damage is applied or whatever, as long as the animation for it starts the exact same time you hit the button...
100% Killer 100% Explorer 100% Socializer 0% Achiever

Tinkersw
01.03.2012 , 03:09 PM | #519
PVP is a side event ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bMLrA_0O5I

Zakumene
01.03.2012 , 03:09 PM | #520
An awful lot of "I disagree with your point of view and therefore you're dumb" going on now haha