Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

AlkalineKitten
01.02.2012 , 10:58 AM | #31
Posting because I've supported from day one and have faith.
A lesson is learned, but the damage is irreversible.

En-Sabanur
01.02.2012 , 11:02 AM | #32
The best example of this problem (which happens all over combat/abilities) is when mounting. It is easily replicable. We've all seen the video on the front page where the guy mounts and "starts running before he's mounted". Try doing the same thing in this game. YOU GET DISMOUNTED if the mounting animation has not finished playing. It's ludicrous.

When I first noticed this problem (back in beta) I didn't so much think of it as a bug. But ill be honest I'm noticing it more and more in PvE and PvP.

The Assassin's "Assassinate" ability is a prime example also. Its an "instant" cast ability and will trigger a GCD. However, the blade spins above the characters head for a good long while before doing its damage (I haven't timed it but it appears to be at least as long as the GCD). It has cost me many a killing blow in PvP and PvE situations and it just feels clumsy as hell.

I recently rolled a JK on my republic guild and the issue seems even more prevalent for that class. I have been playing MMOs for years (DCUO, WoW, Guild Wars) and WoW definitely has this aspect of gameplay down. I am constantly clipping abilities in this game and fighting "awkwardly". I basically will not play my JK at all (though I would like to) because everything outside of cutscenes feels horrible.

Rated this thread!
-Ensabanur -
-Sacrifice Guild-

Sacrifice Guild Website|Join Us

Light_Valkyrie
01.02.2012 , 11:02 AM | #33
Bumping this thread (again)

Thinking that they are just stringing this along.
"Yay, Blood!" - The Bloodgaru Queen Laiyenu

Toggy
01.02.2012 , 11:03 AM | #34
I have... adjusted to the crappy responsiveness in the mean time.. Really hope they fix this asap.
When will now be then.

Morfiend
01.02.2012 , 11:04 AM | #35
Back to the top. This is the single most important issue right now imo.

Vodswyld
01.02.2012 , 11:06 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by En-Sabanur View Post
The best example of this problem (which happens all over combat/abilities) is when mounting. It is easily replicable. We've all seen the video on the front page where the guy mounts and "starts running before he's mounted". Try doing the same thing in this game. YOU GET DISMOUNTED if the mounting animation has not finished playing. It's ludicrous.

When I first noticed this problem (back in beta) I didn't so much think of it as a bug. But ill be honest I'm noticing it more and more in PvE and PvP.

The Assassin's "Assassinate" ability is a prime example also. Its an "instant" cast ability and will trigger a GCD. However, the blade spins above the characters head for a good long while before doing its damage (I haven't timed it but it appears to be at least as long as the GCD). It has cost me many a killing blow in PvP and PvE situations and it just feels clumsy as hell.

I recently rolled a JK on my republic guild and the issue seems even more prevalent for that class. I have been playing MMOs for years (DCUO, WoW, Guild Wars) and WoW definitely has this aspect of gameplay down. I am constantly clipping abilities in this game and fighting "awkwardly". I basically will not play my JK at all (though I would like to) because everything outside of cutscenes feels horrible.

Rated this thread!
Again, thank you for the additional information. Do you have an agent? Have you experienced the grenade lag like is shown on the top post?

Also, what server are you on?

I'll try to recreate the mount delay on my system and see if I get the same thing.

Are there any specific abilities that are issues with a JK?
Best part about being Sith? Unabashedly killing everything that looks at you funny. Or just looks at you. Or just looks.

boobaffet
01.02.2012 , 11:10 AM | #37

En-Sabanur
01.02.2012 , 11:13 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Vodswyld View Post
Again, thank you for the additional information. Do you have an agent? Have you experienced the grenade lag like is shown on the top post?

Also, what server are you on?

I'll try to recreate the mount delay on my system and see if I get the same thing.
No I have not experienced the grenade lag though I do not doubt its existence. I have only played my Assassin to 50. Once I started getting more and more abilities I started to notice this issue more prevalently. My Jedi Knight is only level 12 or so and it was a horrible experience.

I am on The Harbinger - Empire.

I don't know if you've played WoW, but anyone who has should know what I'm going on about with the mount thing. Everyone begins running/flying/moving as soon as the cast bar has finished "casting mount" (even though they are not yet mounted). They'll start moving at "mount speed" just as the youtube vid on the front page describes. You will be mounted a short time after. It is very fluid.

If you attempt the same in this game you will either cancel the cast or get dismounted (because your "cast was cancelled by your movement"). Being dismounted occurs far more often.
-Ensabanur -
-Sacrifice Guild-

Sacrifice Guild Website|Join Us

Monkertrol
01.02.2012 , 11:13 AM | #39
I wouldn't expect too much movement on this issue. They're talking about rolling out more content now, but they still aren't giving us any real insight on fixing the issue. "Soon" doesn't mean doesn't mean a whole lot.

boobaffet
01.02.2012 , 11:15 AM | #40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFgy...G_uWyCstMK7nMz

That video is a great example of how this have nothing to do with animation, spell just dont fire.

What seems to have something to do with animation is the ability travel time that is extended depending on the previous ability casted.

Not being able to cast a spell at GCD have nothing to do with animation.
The time it takes before the ability land, perhaps.