Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Reedful
01.02.2012 , 03:13 PM | #121
what gets me is all these idiots that are like, "LOOK AT MY CREDENTIALS, I DON'T NOTICE A DELAY AT ALL!"

yeah, you do notice a delay. maybe not when you're questing all by yourself fighting a scripted monster that does the same thing 100% of the time. do something that is intensive and demanding on the game's engine and report back to me

there's normal stuff i was prepared to deal with playing a new mmo

there's abnormal stuff that i will not deal with

and there's a customer service rep that said, "WEL MAYBE U WER DOIN 2 MANY LIGHT SABER MOVES, TRY NOT 2 DO SO MANY LIGHTSABER MOVES"

all of you pretending this problem doesn't exist are the stupidest people in the entire world

IcyFisty
01.02.2012 , 03:21 PM | #122
This is really cool, I came to the forums and found this topic about an issue I have been experiencing, but hadn't decided was really a problem:

I am a new player to this form of MMO. I haven't played a single minute of WoW, Rift or any other MMO other than EVE: Online. I have a lvl 36 Marauder and have done plenty of PvP as well as gotten through Act I of the Sith Warrior class storyline. I've adjusted pretty well, have decent gear, do 'ok' but not by any means fantastic in PvP, and have generally been having fun playing this game.

But this topic makes me remember many a frustrating fight. First, it took me a while to adjust from the 'stand and mash butan' style of most NPC fights to the much more hectic PvP fighting. I had to adjust my key bindings several times to get a good enough setup to use my abilities. I died... alot... before I started to average over 100k damage and 3 medals a game. Even after all this learning and adjusting everything felt clunky. And once you experience the fast paced action of characters running arounc CC'ing you or trying to make you miss even a single ability cast going back to killing NPC's feels even more weird.

As a Sith Warrior the most blatantly obvious problem (that I as a newer MMO player noticed) is Force Scream. I mean, Scream takes all of a tenth of a second to cast but before I can cast another ability I have to wait for the timer to expire. It wasn't until now that I realised I should knock down a GC setting I didn't understand or know about, but I can tell that even if I take the global cooldown all the way to the minimum it will still feel weird to try a combination like force scream and ravage on top of one another. Meanwhile, while your character is 'self-stunned' for however brief a moment, someone stuns you and the guy arming the bomb or running with the ball runs away and scores before you can get off an immobilize of your own. It really is frustrating.

Thanks to the OP for putting into words something I experienced but didn't understand. Maybe the problem will get a little better now that I know to bring the GC down. But what really irks me is that the PvP in this game, even if you hate the whole idea of warzones, could be so much more fluid, so much more dynamic and interesting both visually and practically if this problem is resolved.

Tinkersw
01.02.2012 , 03:24 PM | #123
I have followed and read the numorous posts on this subject.
As for me the simple yellow post by George has not
done really anything to help me think anything will or may be done here in the near future.

Xcore I commend you on this and all the others that have put thier time into
helping this game breaking problem of Ability Delay.

I had unistalled WOW like a year ago due to the fact I was just bored after playing for 5 plus years. I have tried many other MMOs none are able to compete with the combat as WOW. So today I will spend my day reinstalling.

What really pushed me over the edge was ...I had named a character Abilitydelay...I was testing on here and now she is gone ...yep just disappeared. I would like to mention I live alone and NO one other than myself plays this computer.

I unsubed and wish all of you the best with your game....SWTOR or whatever game you play. Have a great day.

Again great job Xcore!

xianpu
01.02.2012 , 03:33 PM | #124
Hi there, been following this thread for a while now with trepidation... I hadn't really noticed it too much in the lower levels, but as I've started to PVP more and more this is becoming a game breaking problem for me. I haven't played another MMO for other a year so I'm not fresh out of WoW and comparing it to that...

I'm a healer and it's driving me insane. It's not a problem on my end, my FPS is fine and my latency is in double figures. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said on this thread already, but I wanted to add my voice to those who have noticed this issue.

Owarida
01.02.2012 , 03:34 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Tinkersw View Post
I have followed and read the numorous posts on this subject.
As for me the simple yellow post by George has not
done really anything to help me think anything will or may be done here in the near future.

Xcore I commend you on this and all the others that have put thier time into
helping this game breaking problem of Ability Delay.

I had unistalled WOW like a year ago due to the fact I was just bored after playing for 5 plus years. I have tried many other MMOs none are able to compete with the combat as WOW. So today I will spend my day reinstalling.

What really pushed me over the edge was ...I had named a character Abilitydelay...I was testing on here and now she is gone ...yep just disappeared. I would like to mention I live alone and NO one other than myself plays this computer.

I unsubed and wish all of you the best with your game....SWTOR or whatever game you play. Have a great day.

Again great job Xcore!
You have clearly offended BW. You are not allowed to talk badly about their game or make any mention of any kind about how crap the combat system is while in-game.

This violates the ToS Chapter H., Section ERP, article DE, clause RP1.0.

Sambba
01.02.2012 , 03:34 PM | #126
Seriously why every MMO expect WoW has to have this bug, why can't the programmers make it good?

TheFluclox
01.02.2012 , 03:35 PM | #127
If people have not noticed a delay, you clearly haven't attempted to use an "off the GCD" interrupt whilst hitting someone with a lightsaber. If it's off the GCD and i'm not channeling something, I expect to interrupt the spell. This does not happen. I'll often have to hammer my interrupt button (G, btw) at a sad attempt to interrupt just because I was doing Slash right before. I've missed quite a few interrupts.

I'm afraid the delay is incredibly noticeable. Maybe i'm just an elitist. After all, I had 400 days played on my main in WoW, high-end pvp and pve, then another 150 odd days between some alts. This WILL break the game for raiders. And despite what people will say, raiders and end-game players are what pay for these games, not casuals who think that the leveling talks are fun.

Thing is, this is one of the only annoying things. Combat in fact is incredibly fun other than this, and I find myself using practically all of my abilities during a fight, in not so much as a rotation but a priority effect.

Bigbazz
01.02.2012 , 03:37 PM | #128
Good post and I definitely notice it, though there is definitely server lag on top of this, otherwise it wouldnt explain when you + a mob are at very low health, you kill the mob but then you die and the mob returns to full health, often times it can happen where you would lose up to 1/4 of your health in an instant, due to lag, even with the server lag showing around 40ms.

Combine that with this ability delay (which is very noticeable) and you have a really shoddy combat system, copied from a 7 year old game but done worse. I thought Rift (another wow clone) did a good job of it, but WoW remains the best in this respect.

When you say this game could have been released in 2003, if you take away the graphics engine, a 2003 game is what you actually have.
Noob in training

DarkCarnage
01.02.2012 , 03:38 PM | #129
hmm i not noticed a delay in my casting/use of skills. i got a few programed to my mouse, name the move you get to canclle the foes move. i also ahve my preque set up .25 so i have to pay more attention while playing, but give me a tiny buffer incase of lag.

using a rat7 mouse, and for thi game turned my prsision aim botton ot a canclle move botton to save myself time.
Server: Shadow Hand ; Char: DarkCarnage SW
Guild: Hellions, i'm pretty easy to find, jsut follow the path of dead bodies, kocked up Sith ladies and crying Impiral soilders, bwhaahhaha.

psyquest
01.02.2012 , 03:40 PM | #130
I just did a test.

created a smuggler, level 6
I have one empty key with no spell on it bound to "shift-6"

I walk with the character front-back-strafe left and right while spamming this "shift-6" bind.

After 10 seconds or sometimes less the character will crouch for cover... and no command was actually pressed beside movement since shift-6 is empty.