Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore
01.05.2012 , 01:28 AM | #991
Good luck with this guy, I'm going to bed

Tiron_Raptor
01.05.2012 , 01:37 AM | #992
Quote: Originally Posted by Xcore View Post
And this is where you fail, it is not just a slight delay caused by ACTION QUEUE... there is no ACTION QUEUE (its 0.0)... this is SIMPLY CAUSE BY THE NEED FOR THE PREVIOUS ABILITY TO COMPLETE.

Sir, how are you this dense? Why are you? What horse do you have in this race? What is the point of enjoying to be so plainly wrong... why is it you refuse to acknowledge what has been made fact over the course of thousands of replies and discussion?

How can anyone take you serious anymore? You just keep parroting the EXACT same crap for every issue...

You so far, over 4 threads are one of the foremost Bioware Champions that we've had. Congratulations for what its worth.
How can you be so close-minded and ignorant? how can you be so safe in your assumptions that you aren't willing to consider any alternate viewpoint at all?

Are you so insecure that you HAVE to be right? Or do you just want to tear something down to make yourself feel big? Seriously...

The Bioware post as quoted by your OP says EXACTLY the same thing I am, more or less. That there's a lot of different issues here and lumping them together as generic 'responsiveness' problems is making it harder to figure out what's actually wrong in each case.

Also, I looked at the smuggler vid again. I found I'd been misinterpreting one frame, which led me to believe it was the action queue problem. Re-analysis clearly suggests that it is in fact on 0.0.

Unfortunately for you, the re-analysis also reveals that second ability firing approximately one frame after his second click, the first click managed after the GCD ended (the first click was early). The initial acceptance occurs before any of charged bolt's four projectiles are in the air. The resource pull occurs shortly after the second of the four projectiles is fired.

The second ability is activated before the first animation really starts, and is accepted and responded to by the server about halfway through it.

I'm preparing a screenshot I'll edit into the post when I get it done.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

Amplicon
01.05.2012 , 01:37 AM | #993
Quote: Originally Posted by Noxxia View Post
Valid or not, people are being disrespectful *****. No Bioware person should feel the need to justify wasting time responding to something they've already said they're working on. If you think it's simple, go make an MMO yourself. Then come back and talk.
Excuse me? Where am I being disrespectfull?
And secondly, no I can't build am MMO, but If I feel my car has a problem I go to the shop to ask about how they can fix that problem or even if they consider it a problem. Without the complete set of skills to build a car myself. Your statement is moot.

Quote: Originally Posted by Zeetofox View Post
Yeah, like i said if you have any MMO experience or any skill you should be able to adapt to this until it's fixed. Everyone has this problem so you're not at a terrible disadvantage, they said they'd fix it soon adapt till then.
Its not the fact that there is a advantage or disadvantage. I personally don't like the way it plays right now. That directly correlates to me wanting to extend my subscription or not.

Zeetofox
01.05.2012 , 01:39 AM | #994
Quote: Originally Posted by Amplicon View Post
Excuse me? Where am I being disrespectfull?
And secondly, no I can't build am MMO, but If I feel my car has a problem I go to the shop to ask about how they can fix that problem or even if they consider it a problem. Without the complete set of skills to build a car myself. Your statement is moot.

Its not the fact that there is a advantage or disadvantage. I personally don't like the way it plays right now. That directly correlates to me wanting to extend my subscription or not.
Meh, they said they'd fix it soon so im going to give them time and at first it was terrible and annoying, you can get used to it and hold out till they fix it.

Solarnova
01.05.2012 , 01:40 AM | #995
Characters need to feel a little more fluid when walking and jumping. Take the Night Elf female from WoW and compare it to a Human Female in TOR. When jumping in TOR it looks and feels stiff and unnatural, when jumping in WoW the animations and the way the character moves compliment the jump.

Character responsiveness is not that bad, but there's always room for improvement.

Zeetofox
01.05.2012 , 01:43 AM | #996
Quote: Originally Posted by Solarnova View Post
Characters need to feel a little more fluid when walking and jumping. Take the Night Elf female from WoW and compare it to a Human Female in TOR. When jumping in TOR it looks and feels stiff and unnatural, when jumping in WoW the animations and the way the character moves compliment the jump.

Character responsiveness is not that bad, but there's always room for improvement.
Wow you're way off, this thread has nothing to do with jumping...or running those are perfectly fine. It's about the character abilities firing on animation finish rather then cast finish.

AlexRose
01.05.2012 , 01:47 AM | #997
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
That's a client-server synchronization issue, caused at least in part by network latency, especially variability in the latency.

You'll notice that twice he mounts successfully, and once he doesn't even get the mount to appear. Every other time, the castbar pops back up with 'cancelled': this is the server overriding the client's estimation that you should be mounted.

Being able to duplicate it that reliably, however, does suggest some sort of problem that's exacerbating the timing discrepancy beyond just simple network latency.

As I said in the other thread. There could some delay between when the client starts the castbar and when it sends the message, a problem in the netcode for example. It could be taking the server a significant amount of time to start the timer...which frankly could just be caused by high load. Either would increase the discrepancy beyond any latency variation and make this much easier to do.

It could also just simply be that the timers on the client and the server are mismatched: It wouldn't have to be by much. 10 milliseconds or so would be more than enough. This could be a software issue, with one or the other set not quite properly. It could be a compiler issue, with some random thing is causing the timers to not work quite the same way. It could be a hardware issue: if the client's system is measuring a second to be a shorter period of time than the server is (which could be a problem with either box, or possibly even just manufacturing variations...but simple variations shouldn't make THAT much of a difference), it would also make this easier to do.
Heh. You are babbling of things you obviously know nothing about. You are just an attention seeker imo but you are doing your job right. You have completely derailed the thread and we are talking about things that have nothing to do with this issue.

Look at statements like this:
Quote:
It could be a hardware issue: if the client's system is measuring a second to be a shorter period of time than the server is (which could be a problem with either box, or possibly even just manufacturing variations
Hehe do you even know what are you writing? Lol.

Your_dominus
01.05.2012 , 01:53 AM | #998
Quote: Originally Posted by sabresandiego View Post
It is ridiculous how some players claim they do not have the problem. They obviously do, but don't even notice it.
A few hundred hours logged now, and nope. I do not.

I think at least half of these people are whining about the character animation, and GCD.
Other than that...I can only guess what they are going on about. . Anything I have ever pressed happens immideatly.

Zeetofox
01.05.2012 , 01:57 AM | #999
Quote: Originally Posted by Your_dominus View Post

I think at least half of these people are whining about the character animation, and GCD.
Other than that.... Anything I have ever pressed happens immideatly.
The issue is that the animation goes off instantly, but the damage does not happen instantly. People do not notice this because they are either unskilled, new to MMO's, or even don't pay attention to things like that. Weather you notice or not, it is there.

AlexRose
01.05.2012 , 01:59 AM | #1000
Quote: Originally Posted by Your_dominus View Post

Other than that...I can only guess what they are going on about. . Anything I have ever pressed happens immideatly.
I see. You are searching the "missing link".