Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy Names. How are you handling them RP-wise

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Legacy Names. How are you handling them RP-wise

Zavia
01.03.2012 , 09:33 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by emerssso View Post
When I heard about the Legacy system, I started racking my brains for a solution that would work RP-wise. Here's what I have:

The Kildares are a loose affiliation of orphans from planets across Hutt space. The 'family' as it is called, was founded on Nar Shaddaa about a generation ago, by a gang of orphans living in the slums of the moon. Not long after being founded, several members were captured and enslaved. However, they maintained the family, bringing other orphans they met elsewhere into the fold. Though many of the Kildares have now grown up and moved on, they still remember their humble beginnings. Some have escaped Hutt space, and now work for themselves, for the Republic, or for the Empire. Most maintain the surname 'Kildare', for one reason or another.

Basically, the story of the Kildares lets me have characters with my Legacy name of different races and factions. The family isn't one of blood, but of choice. When it doesn't fit with a particular character as I create him/her, I'll just turn the name off.

That's a really interesting approach. Three of my characters were stuck in a life or death situation when young where they had to learn to cooperate and trust each other. Out of that came a blood-oath they now share that's reflected in their surname. I think if I had to do it over again I'd just turn it off like some of you all are doing.

DuchessOfKvetch
01.04.2012 , 12:21 AM | #22
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that this "feature" is meant more to prevent anonymous alt trolling... as in, you won't be able to just create a new character to heckle or stalk others. Bioware is just promoting it as a bonus rather than an anti-dbag feature.
EBON HAWK: "They must have put something in our water"
Visit the Ebon Hawk RP server forum www.ebon-hawk.com and our FaceBook page
Find me as: Anjela, Taloe, Sandoval (all Empire side, baby)
Bartle Score: Socializer: 87%, Explorer: 73%, Killer: 40%, Achiever: 0%

Kalfear
01.04.2012 , 05:58 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Zavia View Post
for your characters? I'm having a problem with how to integrate a legacy name for my characters. They will vary so much that having them related doesn't make sense so it took me a while to come up with something I could live with. I settled on using a name that connects them through a shared experience, so now they're more oathbound together rather than related.

So how are you all dealing with your Legacy name, or are you even taking one?
For character that are apart of my family, ill show the name

For those that are not, Ill just hide Legacy name title and act like it doesnt exist

NOT EVERY CHARACTER needs alegacy name showing after all.
In regards to lessening F2P and Preferred restrictions
In GAMING, as in LIFE,
You get what you pay for
No game restriction is so dire that $15.00/month will not eliminate it

bliapis
01.04.2012 , 06:05 AM | #24
My legacy name is "Theathenian", The Athenian, since i live in Athens.

Pitty system doesnt allow spaces between two words (neither were symbols)
i5 2500k OC @ 4Ghz | Thermaltek Hyper TX3 air cooler | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | Asus GTX580 CU | Asus Maximus IV GenZ/Gen3 | Thermatek 750W PSU -==- Server: Fredon Nad (EU)// Characters: [B]Vanguard L50: Clipjunkie// [B]Sentinel L50: Seithan// Juggernaur L50: Shaithis // Sorcerer L42: Rasthavas

DreadSire
01.04.2012 , 06:25 AM | #25
The way I am looking at it, is more of a clan name, then a family name. Like in days gone by, the "Clan Jones" generic name but go with it. You could become part of the clan or the "family" even if you where not blood related.

So yeah I think of them as a Clan name or a House name. Where anyone can earn a place in the "family"

Zavia
01.04.2012 , 09:26 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DuchessOfKvetch View Post
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that this "feature" is meant more to prevent anonymous alt trolling... as in, you won't be able to just create a new character to heckle or stalk others. Bioware is just promoting it as a bonus rather than an anti-dbag feature.

Allowing the feature to be turned off is kind of defeating that purpose though don't you think?

Also, I like the House and Clan name approach because it allows you to include different races under your Legacy name. I think the Legacy name is a good idea but perhaps it could use some improvements.

I haven't played with the naming conventions much but would the system allow for a Legacy name that reflects a House or Clan, such as "Adlar House Breva" with "House Breva" being the surname, or "Adlar Clan Hawk", with "Clan Hawk" being the surname?

Guildrum
01.04.2012 , 09:31 AM | #27
The way I see it, Bioware made it so that if you don't want people going around saying they're you, you could turn on the legacy name for your toons so that people can tell whether or not it's you.

And if they are ever confronted, and they know you have a legacy name, they can just demand they turn it on for a few seconds. You would do that to prove it's you right?

Boaz
01.08.2012 , 10:57 PM | #28
What I hate about them is that you cannot get an uppercase letter where you should have one. Making a ticket to ask for one does not work because they are “only changing names that are in violation” I don’t want a change I want the name to be capitalized correctly. In my case O’Zarthan is stuck being O’zarthan kinda bites. Since they are “not allowed at this time to fix names not in violation” and when I point out that if you can change ones that’s wrong then the tools are in place to change them so fixing a name is possible just not something CSR’s are willing to do you get the “Rules are Rules” tossed at you. Ohh and the best was being told “it is not my name it is just the legacy”.

DarthSojourn
01.08.2012 , 11:06 PM | #29
The thing that annoys me is that it is the same from character to character. I wish we could just unlock it again whenever we hit the correct level on another toon so that we could name them what we wanted.
"Power is its own purpose. To share it is to dilute it." - Darth Bane

Cassiecat
01.09.2012 , 12:08 AM | #30
For once, I'm actually RPing characters that are going to be related (across both factions), so I had to choose a Legacy Name that suited all their first names. If I create any characters that aren't related, I'll just turn the thing off.
Ebon Hawk
Brydence - Counselor / Cathlean - Inquisitor
Destrie - Smuggler / Ambrielle - Bounty Hunter
Unsanctioned