Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Legacy Names. How are you handling them RP-wise

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Legacy Names. How are you handling them RP-wise

Jeia's Avatar


Jeia
01.03.2012 , 04:24 AM | #11
I think Legacy is a poorly thought out system and displays a disregard for what RP actually is.

As my characters are of different races and factions, there is no way that they would have any connection across the 'divide'. So a Legacy name is both out of character and hidden for my characters.
Corellian Sea The Progenitor EU RP
The Ideal Guild Quiz

Dalnar's Avatar


Dalnar
01.03.2012 , 04:43 AM | #12
I made it like surname, shared amongst my 3 human toons (brothers).

Gratulor's Avatar


Gratulor
01.03.2012 , 04:54 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeia View Post
I think Legacy is a poorly thought out system and displays a disregard for what RP actually is.

As my characters are of different races and factions, there is no way that they would have any connection across the 'divide'. So a Legacy name is both out of character and hidden for my characters.
I too would have preferred another way of implementing surnames, but... it's the next best thing. Another way to have a legacy system is possible, although I have no idea what that would be, but at least we have a surname for a single character or related ones... for most RPers, that is.

Would have preferred a surname that could be shared with other players, but was a part of the character creation process. If you marry or adopt (IC) another player character you could then transfer your name to them, and they could in the future opt out of that. Kind of like the titles, but more RP friendly. That is my dream.

We must get used to being the third most important customers.
"If you only look after your own hide, then you're not a man."

acheros's Avatar


acheros
01.03.2012 , 05:01 AM | #14
By keeping them turned off on all my characters.

Jeia's Avatar


Jeia
01.03.2012 , 05:41 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Gratulor View Post
I too would have preferred another way of implementing surnames, but... it's the next best thing. Another way to have a legacy system is possible, although I have no idea what that would be, but at least we have a surname for a single character or related ones... for most RPers, that is.

Would have preferred a surname that could be shared with other players, but was a part of the character creation process. If you marry or adopt (IC) another player character you could then transfer your name to them, and they could in the future opt out of that. Kind of like the titles, but more RP friendly. That is my dream.

We must get used to being the third most important customers.
LotRO has a similar system, where Destiny points are collected across all the characters on a server. But there is no enforced single name. Each character is able to have a different surname and I would like to see an explanation from BW as to why they have taken the stance they have.

As I play the game more, there are more and more things that make me feel uncomfortable and have me wondering how long I will actually play this game for. I suspect it's not going to match the 7.5 years I played SWG.
Corellian Sea The Progenitor EU RP
The Ideal Guild Quiz

rasyna's Avatar


rasyna
01.03.2012 , 06:08 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeia View Post
I think Legacy is a poorly thought out system and displays a disregard for what RP actually is.

As my characters are of different races and factions, there is no way that they would have any connection across the 'divide'. So a Legacy name is both out of character and hidden for my characters.

I couldn't agree more. I actually found this thread because I was curious after seeing players with surnames. I had heard a tiny bit about Legacy being the reason but I would never have thought it worked like it does...
I too have a variety of characters for which this ridiculous system just ruins. I don't even play on a RP server, just play around with it on a pve server with friends, but I take naming very very seriously, and this really upset me. I wanted my Twi'lek's to be obscure members of an already existing house and my humans to be unrelated and... it just ruined it. Now, if I'm lucky, one character will get a last name and the rest will be bastards. Great.

I wish Bioware had thought this out a bit more before implementing it.
“Look, Your Worshipfulness, let's get one thing straight. I take orders from just one person: me.” ~Han Solo

Mischief [Twi'lek] Scoundrel

Elloa's Avatar


Elloa
01.03.2012 , 07:55 AM | #17
I'm not using my Legacy title as anything roleplay. It's hidden on my main character because I've choosen to have my Legacy name as my main character (and usual web name) : Elloa.

I'll use the title for my alts, so they will be easily recognised by the community as beeing my characters. But this will not be used for RP either. Don't specialy want my character to be related.
Master Liy Elloa * Whìtestar *
Lord Calypho Eu

Vidéo Serie : Imperial Agent Elloa

emerssso's Avatar


emerssso
01.03.2012 , 09:38 AM | #18
When I heard about the Legacy system, I started racking my brains for a solution that would work RP-wise. Here's what I have:

The Kildares are a loose affiliation of orphans from planets across Hutt space. The 'family' as it is called, was founded on Nar Shaddaa about a generation ago, by a gang of orphans living in the slums of the moon. Not long after being founded, several members were captured and enslaved. However, they maintained the family, bringing other orphans they met elsewhere into the fold. Though many of the Kildares have now grown up and moved on, they still remember their humble beginnings. Some have escaped Hutt space, and now work for themselves, for the Republic, or for the Empire. Most maintain the surname 'Kildare', for one reason or another.

Basically, the story of the Kildares lets me have characters with my Legacy name of different races and factions. The family isn't one of blood, but of choice. When it doesn't fit with a particular character as I create him/her, I'll just turn the name off.
The Kildare Clan of the Rubat Crystal
Antark, Scoundrel
Erral, Jedi Knight

Pandasonthemoon's Avatar


Pandasonthemoon
01.03.2012 , 02:54 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Hrisskar View Post
I am activating my Legacy name on my main character, and hiding it for the rest.
This is my plan as well!
Amerine Eltani the Pure - Mirialan Jedi Sage - Ajunta Pall (US-West)

KiraHalcyon's Avatar


KiraHalcyon
01.03.2012 , 07:43 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Hrisskar View Post
I am activating my Legacy name on my main character, and hiding it for the rest.
Ditto.
Takeshi Yamato- 24-Year-Old Human Male Jedi Sentinel
Hitomi- 21-Year-Old Human Female Sith Marauder
Sayane- 27-Year-Old Human Female Imperial Sniper
Zark- 300-Year-Old Feeorin Male Sith Juggernaut