Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy Names. How are you handling them RP-wise

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Legacy Names. How are you handling them RP-wise

Zavia
01.02.2012 , 09:36 AM | #1
for your characters? I'm having a problem with how to integrate a legacy name for my characters. They will vary so much that having them related doesn't make sense so it took me a while to come up with something I could live with. I settled on using a name that connects them through a shared experience, so now they're more oathbound together rather than related.

So how are you all dealing with your Legacy name, or are you even taking one?

bartmoss
01.02.2012 , 09:44 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Zavia View Post
for your characters? I'm having a problem with how to integrate a legacy name for my characters. They will vary so much that having them related doesn't make sense so it took me a while to come up with something I could live with. I settled on using a name that connects them through a shared experience, so now they're more oathbound together rather than related.

So how are you all dealing with your Legacy name, or are you even taking one?
I only play humans as I severely dislike the other choices we get, and so it's an extended family clan. Simple. Effective.

The Oathbound thing works though.

Or they could all be part of a military unit, or originate from the same planet, or somesuch.
Die Outer Rim Brigade sucht Mitglieder! (The Jedi Order - PvE - German)

Hrisskar
01.02.2012 , 10:06 AM | #3
I am activating my Legacy name on my main character, and hiding it for the rest.

Guildrum
01.02.2012 , 11:56 AM | #4
I am thinking that I could somehow link all of my planned RP characters, except for maybe Jedi and Sith, but I plan to RP blaster-users anyhow.

I have yet to come up with a legacy surname, but I plan on making it something sounding like a Squad name, ie, the Orion Legacy, and I can say that they were all once of the (example, not actual) Orion Squad before becoming a Trooper/Smuggler/Agent/Bounty Hunter
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Mnemnosyne
01.02.2012 , 02:43 PM | #5
I hate the system, but my plan is to either turn them off for other characters, or simply shrug and call it a coincidence.

There's millions of inhabited planets in the galaxy and quadrillions of sentients out there. The fact that more than one person (even from different species) happen to share a name but be completely unrelated is unsurprising.
-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

CyberCommando
01.02.2012 , 03:50 PM | #6
I was planning on using my handle, but I guess alot of people would look funny at me in RP if I was Garick of the Doombunny Legacy. :P

Traykoff
01.02.2012 , 05:46 PM | #7
I ended up using my real family name. So far though, I think only suitable workaround is to hide it for your alts as suggested above.

In addition, excuse me if totally wrong on the matter, but aren't Humans and Cyborgs quite easy to mix. For example, my character is a cyborg (as in-game choice); however, RP wise it is human that has his head burned on the left side, so medics patch him up with some metal plates. You can always twist the background story a bit if you ask me
Skirmisher Kagotta Traykoff
<Low Red Moon>

Rubat Crystal, RP Server, US East time zone

Zavia
01.02.2012 , 07:55 PM | #8
Great answers, thanks! Turning it off is definitely a solution that solves many problems.

Only humans can be cyborgs right?

ScwortzForce
01.02.2012 , 08:15 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Zavia View Post
Great answers, thanks! Turning it off is definitely a solution that solves many problems.

Only humans can be cyborgs right?
Yes unfortunately. Would have been nice if cyborg was more of a general apperance option then a race chose.
"What a fine mess you've gotten us into."
-C3P0

Gratulor
01.02.2012 , 11:44 PM | #10
My Legacy name won't be shared across my characters. By that I mean it will be turned off on other characters I create. There is a reason for this, and a reason I am perfectly happy with it. My surname, Fergo, is my character's clan name.

The other character I have is a Sith Lord, and it makes no sense for him to bear a Mandalorian clan name, even if he was somehow related to my main. And as a Sith, Lord Avidan suits him much better than if it was Lord Avidan Fergo. Most Sith don't even bear a last name when they get promoted to Lord or Darth.
"If you only look after your own hide, then you're not a man."