Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars vs WH40K

LoneRebel
02.08.2012 , 07:02 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Khazius View Post
I wish I saw this thread before it got 10 pages long. TL;DR version at end.

My thoughts personally are that Star Wars and Warhammer 40k are on opposite sides of the same timeline. This has nothing to do with Space Marines fighting Jedi.

Star Wars has always said "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away"

In the long time ago history of Warhammer 40K, the earliest known account is the last of the shamans sacrificing themselves to create the Emperor of Mankind. The latest account is Tyranid hive fleets are appearing from outside the known galaxy to devour ours.

Star Wars is simply the history before our modern age. At some point in time between the last recorded years of the EU and the creation of the Emperor of mankind, Tyranids invaded the known Star Wars galaxy and began consuming it. At this point in time, the chaos gods did not yet exist, and the Warp was farely free of malevolent beings, allowing free use of the Warp (known as the Force).

With the Tyranids being unstoppable, and the increasing use of the "Dark Side" eventually creating the first of the Chaos Gods, perhaps the Old Ones flee to our current Galaxy to prepare weapons to fight. (Perhaps eventually creating the Eldar, Orks, Tau, etc)

At the same time, the last Jedi conclave also depart the Galaxy to save the knowledge of the Force and Humanity. Perhaps lacking the same technology as whoever the Old Ones are, they use more conventional travel methods and finally arrive on Earth, dwindling over time, much after the Old Ones have set their plans for new races in motion.

Finding the warp increasingly filled with dark entities from all the Sith influence, and no longer being able to become one with the force, they decide to sacrifice themselves and reincarnate into the "Last Jedi".... the Emperor of Mankind.

Fast forward, and the Old Ones plan with the Eldar has failed, creating Slaanesh, and isolating all human settlements. Fast forward again and the Emperor is now on the Golden Throan, the Tyranid threat once again threatening the entire Galaxy.

Perhaps Lemun Russ will return from the Star Wars galaxy, having found some key to destroying the Tyranids and Chaos, etc. and initiate the Wolf Time. Maybe Cypher will slay the Emperor, allowing his Resurrection, and bring balance to the Force...

TL;DR: Tyranids destroy Star Wars galaxy, last surviving Jedi flee to Earth and create the Emperor.
I'll just leave this here, 'cause I think it's epic. +1
Those who can, do. Those who can't, QQ.

Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge. Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony. Death, yet the Force.

Yfelsung
02.08.2012 , 07:15 AM | #122
I'm going to have to agree with the purple text guy.

A Star Wars blaster is more akin to a WH40k plasma weapon. If Sith armor can stop plasma, that's impressive, but that which stops plasma does not necessarily stop bolter fire.

A bolter round is a rocket. A tiny, self-propelled explosive warhead and explodes slightly after penetration.

It acts like a hollow-point on crack.

This was a weapon made to fight xenos. Alien races capable of taking extreme damage, such as Orks and Tyranids. These weapons are made to shred bodies into pulp.

There has actually been a weapon invented that can show, somewhat, what a bolter is capable of.

The AA-12 with Fragmentation Rounds

This is an automatic shotgun that can fire small ballistically propelled rockets, as you'll see from the video.

Now, a bolter's rounds have their own rockets on them AND explode with a force several orders of magnitude higher than the ones in that video.

A bolter pistol is a smaller weapon, used in one hand, that fires similarly powerful rounds.

A storm bolter is basically two bolters taped together.

And a heavy bolter is one held like a chaingun that fires larger bolter rounds at a higher rate of fire.

Even if the armor could prevent initial penetration of the round, the resulting explosive force would shatter ribs, bruise lungs and rupture organs.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

MightyAl
02.08.2012 , 07:26 AM | #123
Odd. Back in the day, even the most advanced ships in 40k couldn't make the transition to warp space near a planetary body. IIRC, it took several weeks of sublight travel to go from orbitting an earth-sized planet to a safe jump point.
I Sith'd a girl and I liked it...

Yfelsung
02.08.2012 , 07:30 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
Odd. Back in the day, even the most advanced ships in 40k couldn't make the transition to warp space near a planetary body. IIRC, it took several weeks of sublight travel to go from orbitting an earth-sized planet to a safe jump point.
Must have changed at some point, as there are several cases in books and games of ships going into the warp from orbit/within a system.

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

MightyAl
02.08.2012 , 07:36 AM | #125
Well, you'd likely still be in-system after weeks at sublight, since you can't accelerate too fast with all those squishy organics on board.
I Sith'd a girl and I liked it...

TheThiazi
02.08.2012 , 07:50 AM | #126
there is no contest of any form between the two, other than fan base. Its not even a fair comparsion

Technology - 40k wins.

Light sabres cant parry explosions. Bolters fire exploding rounds.
Blasters are at best equilvent to lasguns, hello power armor lets not even talk about terminator or artifictor armor.

Force/Psychic powers
force users shoot lighting and choke people. Libarians suck out your soul, and you cease to exisit.

jedi's wear robes, space marines captins where iron halos. Iron halos can stop the deathstar, robes wont stop a rock.

Rayla_Felana
02.08.2012 , 07:58 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
I'm going to have to agree with the purple text guy.

A Star Wars blaster is more akin to a WH40k plasma weapon. If Sith armor can stop plasma, that's impressive, but that which stops plasma does not necessarily stop bolter fire.

A bolter round is a rocket. A tiny, self-propelled explosive warhead and explodes slightly after penetration.

It acts like a hollow-point on crack.

This was a weapon made to fight xenos. Alien races capable of taking extreme damage, such as Orks and Tyranids. These weapons are made to shred bodies into pulp.

There has actually been a weapon invented that can show, somewhat, what a bolter is capable of.

The AA-12 with Fragmentation Rounds

This is an automatic shotgun that can fire small ballistically propelled rockets, as you'll see from the video.

Now, a bolter's rounds have their own rockets on them AND explode with a force several orders of magnitude higher than the ones in that video.

A bolter pistol is a smaller weapon, used in one hand, that fires similarly powerful rounds.

A storm bolter is basically two bolters taped together.

And a heavy bolter is one held like a chaingun that fires larger bolter rounds at a higher rate of fire.

Even if the armor could prevent initial penetration of the round, the resulting explosive force would shatter ribs, bruise lungs and rupture organs.
Yup, pretty much my thoughts, but just an FYI it's Purple text girl, not guy.

tadro
02.08.2012 , 08:49 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Battle Meditation? even against the Imperial Guard would not work, they have commissars in their army that literally state, go and die or I kill you now, take a pick, they are literally the Soviets, against any other 40K force it would be useless.

And a Primarch would stomp Grand Master Luke, you realise just their swords are like Thor's hammer, the system Luke is in can literally just be obliterated.

Bolter fire is nothing like blaster fire, it's a mini hand grenade in the shape of a bullet, that fires rapidly, Space Marines are 8 foot tall machines with massive weaponry and the best armor you can imagine, Carapace Armor, anything like a laser or plasma is half the time not going to dent the surface, their weaponry would also make it extremely hard to engage them up close, let's take the Space Marines that arrived in Comorragh, the city of the Dark Eldar, supernaturaly fast, agile, graceful and a mind made for spotting weak points, they got butchered by the Space Marines, even though it was an entire city, of ancient deadly beings against around 500 Marines, the regular basic firepower the Space Marines deploy is what Star Wars would consider heavy artillery, for example the Heavy Bolters, Heavy Flamers and Plasma Guns, more than enough to kill your average Sith warrior.

It's already been stated both the force and warp powers are used simultaneously.

And call it silly all you want, that's the setting, it's all out war for 40,000 years, Star Wars is centered around the force, something nowhere near as common as the warp powers are.

I prefer Star Wars personally, but they are absolutely out-matched here.
Battle meditation would not work because of commisars?Invading someone's mind won't work because there are cruel officers???Ok I get it.... nothing from starwars works now because 40K has to win no matter what.....

Thor's hammer?Ok do you have any idea of the completely ridiculus things Luke has done in EU?At the last fight with the Vong he was something like the force incarnate.He did defeat Abeloth if I remember right why have problems against chaos demons?
Yoda could move starfighters with his thoughts.....he would strip the space marine of his weapons with a mere gesture.

And guys like that clown, Starkiller, can actually pull STAR DESTROYERS from the sky!

don't get me wrong,I love the cool things about SW and not ****** ideas like those mentioned above but if you want to talk about silly OP things like Primarchs then we should include the whole SW cheese factory as well.

During the Mandalorian Wars there were some jedi who could prevail against Mandos riding Basilisks.And Basilisks can fly and have missiles.That's how fast and agile some jedi are.

Btw lightsabers can't stop explosions but force barriers can easily block them.And all the armour in the universe can't help you against telekinetic powers

Librarians can strip your soul but sith spirits always try to do that when someone uses their power.And Sith Lords can handle the pressure with ease

Yfelsung
02.08.2012 , 08:53 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by tadro View Post
Battle meditation would not work because of commisars?Invading someone's mind won't work because there are cruel officers???Ok I get it.... nothing from starwars works now because 40K has to win no matter what.....

Thor's hammer?Ok do you have any idea of the completely ridiculus things Luke has done in EU?At the last fight with the Vong he was something like the force incarnate.
Yoda could move starfighters with his thoughts.....he would strip the space marine of his weapons with a mere gesture.

And guys like that clown, Starkiller, can actually pull STAR DESTROYERS from the sky!

don't get me wrong,I love the cool things about SW and not ****** ideas like those mentioned above but if you want to talk about silly OP things like Primarchs then we should include the whole SW cheese factory as well.

During the Mandalorian Wars there were some jedi who could prevail against Mandos riding Basilisks.And Basilisks can fly and have missiles.That's how fast and agile some jedi are.
An Alpha Plus level psyker could destroy the entire Imperial armada with one gentle swipe of his hand. He can open the warp and bring forth millions of demons with a thought. He could, potentially, create life with his will. The fluff has alluded to an Alpha Plus Level Psyker as being, effectively, a god.

Even the most powerful Jedi is only about equivalent to a gamma level psyker.

Space Marines fight and kill psykers all the time.

Then, of course, there are Librarians, who are Space Marine Psykers.

Imagine the most powerful Jedi of all time, wearing a tank. That's a Librarian.

tadro
02.08.2012 , 08:59 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
An Alpha Plus level psyker could destroy the entire Imperial armada with one gentle swipe of his hand. He can open the warp and bring forth millions of demons with a thought. He could, potentially, create life with his will. The fluff has alluded to an Alpha Plus Level Psyker as being, effectively, a god.

Even the most powerful Jedi is only about equivalent to a gamma level psyker.

Space Marines fight and kill psykers all the time.

Then, of course, there are Librarians, who are Space Marine Psykers.

Imagine the most powerful Jedi of all time, wearing a tank. That's a Librarian.
the Sith Emperor of SWTOR is practically an Immortal who strips the life from entire planets

Darth Nihilus can do pretty much the same thing but without rituals.He just thinks about it and it happens

Darth Sion won't die unless he wants to