Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

World PvP in PVE servers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
World PvP in PVE servers?

RGinny
12.13.2011 , 08:45 PM | #1
aside from the set pieces (huttball and the warzones) will there be any open areas for non-timed/ nonrestricted pvp?

The reason I ask this, is because I was hoping to truly enjoy the story aspects of this game without being ganked post 20 by 40+ers. However, I also want to have some time unrestricted place in the world where i can go for pvp without timers or objectives.

I have only played in 2 beta weekends, but was so about the stories I didnt even pvp once.

So I turn to you the community because you have the knowledge readily available that I seek.

I really don't want to be all into my tatooine quests but then find that I cannot effectively finish them solo because tatooine becomes a free for all in PVP servers (Erickson referenced this happening in a video)

So is my only options a PvE server with timed pvp games or a PvP server where I will have trouble questing by being ganked for the tradeoff of a better endgame?

EDIT:
Thank you all! My question is answered and I can roll on a PvE server not being afraid of missing any cool PvP content!!! No ganking for me! (at least till Illium, but by then ill be asking for it!)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jurugar View Post
...really? Wow. I feel like an idiot. I've been trying to reach Ironforge for like 3 days now, man. Thanks for the heads up.
Hey guys, this ISNT actually WoW. Really!... Yeah, I know! This guy over here just told me. I was like whaaa?

Wraistlin
12.13.2011 , 08:52 PM | #2
Bump as I'm also curious about this......

Anyone know if the PvE servers are more like Warhammer with their pvp zones in them?

And with that....is world PvP going to be worth the same as Instanced PvP, or is it a joke like (game that won't be mentioned here) where their is really no reward to it?

Kalfear
12.13.2011 , 08:59 PM | #3
Illum!

that is all
In regards to lessening F2P and Preferred restrictions
In GAMING, as in LIFE,
You get what you pay for
No game restriction is so dire that $15.00/month will not eliminate it

RGinny
12.13.2011 , 09:01 PM | #4
so Ilum is an open PvP planet in PvE servers?
Quote: Originally Posted by Jurugar View Post
...really? Wow. I feel like an idiot. I've been trying to reach Ironforge for like 3 days now, man. Thanks for the heads up.
Hey guys, this ISNT actually WoW. Really!... Yeah, I know! This guy over here just told me. I was like whaaa?

Kadabrax
12.13.2011 , 09:20 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by RGinny View Post
so Ilum is an open PvP planet in PvE servers?
yes indeed

Mavkiel
12.13.2011 , 09:24 PM | #6
crazy question but whats the difference between the pvp servers and pve? Yes, I know its focused on player vs player combat, but do you have to be worried about getting griefed?

It'd be annoying to get camped in a newbie zone by folks 10x your level. It'd bring unpleasant eve memories back :P

Also, are there rewards for killing people outside of the instances? Since I assume on such a server you'd occasionally run into folks from the other side.

Spyde
12.13.2011 , 09:36 PM | #7
Any more info about this Ilum planet ?

TheUnshaven
12.13.2011 , 10:58 PM | #8
One thing I'm wondering is how much PvP will actually occur on a PvE server. I mean, generally speaking, people that flock to PvE do so because they're not crazy about pvp. Sure Illum might be available endgame, and there are warzones, but how many people could one reliably expect to see on Illum at 50 on a PvE server compared to a PvP server?

I'd think Illum would be more populated, and warzones would pop more frequently on a PvP server... I could be wrong tho, might be alot of Daoc/Warhammer fans looking for pvp zones.

Remowiliams
12.14.2011 , 01:04 AM | #9
I love PvP but usually play on PvE servers because I hate getting ganked by 4 people who could not win in a fair fight.(got enough of that in EvE and Darkfall) On that point, a fair fight on a PvP sever rarely occurs and having to wait for a number of friends to play with all the time gets very tiring.

The Outlaw's Den looks like an interesting place to visit for all out PvP and you can even attack your own faction.
http://www.darthhater.com/articles/s...s?cookieTest=1

KianTremayne
12.14.2011 , 01:13 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TheUnshaven View Post
One thing I'm wondering is how much PvP will actually occur on a PvE server. I mean, generally speaking, people that flock to PvE do so because they're not crazy about pvp. Sure Illum might be available endgame, and there are warzones, but how many people could one reliably expect to see on Illum at 50 on a PvE server compared to a PvP server?

I'd think Illum would be more populated, and warzones would pop more frequently on a PvP server... I could be wrong tho, might be alot of Daoc/Warhammer fans looking for pvp zones.
Not quite. People tend to roll on PvE servers because the're not crazy about GANKING. I'm an old school DAoC player and I like the idea of having my fights with other people who're up for a rumble. Cruising around hitting people who are in the middle of playing through a story quest doesn't float my boat, and I don't want to have to deal with the interruption when I'm doing my own story quests.

So yeah, in my case at least I'll be on a PvE server but doing warzones regularly and wandering over to Ilum for some action once I've levelled up. I imagine quite a few others feel likewise.
The original Tremayne, with a blog over here