Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightning or Madness?

MikeFL
01.02.2012 , 12:08 AM | #1
I can't decide which spec to go with...I know lightning is more direct damage whereas madness is geared more for DoT. I've heard several people going back and forth on which is "better".

My question is, for PvE leveling, which has greater flexibility/utility and is overall "better" for leveling?

A bonus question: would you recommend Corruption for leveling? Whenever I do a Heroic quest or Flashpoint I always volunteer to heal. Ultimately I will probably respec for endgame healing when I hit 50, but I really like ranged damage (and lightning!) for leveling. Do corruption sorcs still utilize lightning spells between heals, or is it pretty much chain healing Khem Val?

<if you answered the bonus question, you can receive extra EXP by returning the mission to the drop box>
Nylost - 50 Sniper Sythion - 50 Marauder Zeraya - 50 Assassin Rexxel - 40 Mercenary Praxys - 50 Sorcerer
Kilaeon - 50 Guardian Fordan - 52 Vanguard Alaesa - 30 Sage

Skeloss
01.02.2012 , 01:34 AM | #2
Hello I am leveling as corruption and I have no problems....I can solo two elite mobs without any problems.

Podrik
01.02.2012 , 01:36 AM | #3
I'm leveling as Madness and loving it. I went for Lightning first but there are more options for Kiting if you go Madness, and it's better for PvP

Corruption is the easiest way to level a sorc by far tho.

tehehe
01.02.2012 , 07:44 AM | #4

MikeFL
01.02.2012 , 09:19 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by tehehe View Post
I like those builds, but it bears asking...don't hybrid builds, like the 13/12/16 you posted above, tend to suffer at later levels and lack potency due to not specializing?
Nylost - 50 Sniper Sythion - 50 Marauder Zeraya - 50 Assassin Rexxel - 40 Mercenary Praxys - 50 Sorcerer
Kilaeon - 50 Guardian Fordan - 52 Vanguard Alaesa - 30 Sage

Daellia
01.02.2012 , 09:24 AM | #6
Quote:
I like those builds, but it bears asking...don't hybrid builds, like the 13/12/16 you posted above, tend to suffer at later levels and lack potency due to not specializing?
Yes and no. Low-level Lightning particularly lends itself to subspecing, as does low-level Madness. I myself am fond of 21/2/18 for soloing/PvP and 0/13/28 for instance dps, as the trees in question synergize so well together. In fact, that latter build is generally considered to be noticeably superior to the more archetypal 3/7/31 build for Madness DPS.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

oursacrifice
01.02.2012 , 11:06 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Podrik View Post
I'm leveling as Madness and loving it. I went for Lightning first but there are more options for Kiting if you go Madness, and it's better for PvP

Corruption is the easiest way to level a sorc by far tho.
You don't need to kite as lightning spec.

Shanther
01.02.2012 , 02:48 PM | #8
I leveled to 50 using a Madness hybrid build.
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...d0MZcMfRsMkR.1

Right now I just wreck everything and it is more or less impossible for me to run out of force.

Affliction > Death Field > Crushing Darkness (Wrath proc) > Chain Lightning (Wrath proc) > Force Lightning > Shock

Shock only gets cast if I have to move or if all of my Dots are up AND if both Chain Lighting and Crushing Darkness are on CD. If the latter happens by the time Force Lightning finishes and I cast normally Chain Lightning will just be coming off CD and I can use a Wrath proc.

MCerberus
01.02.2012 , 03:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Skeloss View Post
Hello I am leveling as corruption and I have no problems....I can solo two elite mobs without any problems.
We're talking Sorcerers here. There is no soloing two elites. You solo one elite at a time, twice.
Self-referential metasig #524789

Varnithis
01.02.2012 , 09:29 PM | #10
As has been said before, Hybrid outpreforms specilizing in either damage tree.

Lightning tree is especially garbage.

Chain Lightnign and Wrath together out dps 31 in either tree, and is much easier to play too.