Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lucas and star wars

lordsmeagol
01.01.2012 , 10:39 PM | #1
ok i cant take it what is peoples deal with lucas and the star wars flims i keep logging on and hearing(from the same people who claim everyone agrees with them) that lucas sucks and the only time star wars is good is when lucas isnt doing it have you guys forgot he is the fing reason for the genre so plz why is he sooo bad yes the prequells were differnet but they werent bad so plz tell me

Wolfninjajedi
01.01.2012 , 10:58 PM | #2
People's expectations were set way too high for the PT, which was for a completely different generation which is where most of the hate comes from. Expectations were set too high, and from there thats where it all went downhill for some people. But remember....those are just opinions, not fact its not Lucas's fault that people's expectations were set too high its their own fault but they don't wanna admit it.

The OT was made for the generation of the 70's/80's, the PT was made for the generation in the early 2000's its that simple. Blaming someone for ruining something, that isn't ruined is just really dumb if it was ruined there wouldn't be Star Wars anymore and people wouldn't be talking about it anymore. NOTHING is ruined, Star Wars is still going on and you know what?

Lucas worked his *** off to bring us this franchise, he had heart problems when he was filming the OT. There was problems with sets, models, things needed to be changed, money was going in all directions. In fact Star Wars was almost non-existent because of all those things, so saying that Luacs is "dumb" or "selfish" or what have you in my book is wrong.

Instead of complaining and whining people, go make your own franchise that changes the world(literally) and makes billions of dollars from nothing and then come back and tell me. Because at the start, Lucas only had a story and a dream.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

bfishback
01.01.2012 , 11:09 PM | #3
The reason I hate lucas is not because of the prequels or anything like that. It's the total disrespect his has for what his series has become and the fans.

Like that one quote saying that anything that happened after ROTJ didn't happen, or that it happened it a different reality. That's just completely retarded, he can't accept that people have built upon his story and made it better. It's a spit in the face of everyone who likes the post-ROTJ stories.

Now with the rise of the old republic fans, I'm sure he'll end up saying "lol that stuff back there didn't really happen eitehr guis".

lordsmeagol
01.01.2012 , 11:16 PM | #4
i agree he really rbought this up from nothign and its just differnet now not bad

lordsmeagol
01.01.2012 , 11:18 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by bfishback View Post
The reason I hate lucas is not because of the prequels or anything like that. It's the total disrespect his has for what his series has become and the fans.

Like that one quote saying that anything that happened after ROTJ didn't happen, or that it happened it a different reality. That's just completely retarded, he can't accept that people have built upon his story and made it better. It's a spit in the face of everyone who likes the post-ROTJ stories.

Now with the rise of the old republic fans, I'm sure he'll end up saying "lol that stuff back there didn't really happen eitehr guis".
ok now that a actual reason that makes sense i didnt realize he did that and i dont agree with taht cuz some of my favorite stories arent form the movies at all(thrawn,bane ,x-wing to name a few)

BrandonSM
01.01.2012 , 11:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by bfishback View Post

He said that quote about post-ROTJ before 90% of all the EU came out.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Guildrum
01.02.2012 , 12:21 AM | #7
It's just that I think, that Lucas had strengths that were not in directing the movies themselves. He had excellent ways for bringing characters, places, things to life, but directing isn't his strong suit, but because he made it, he was too stubborn to let someone else on the director's seat for the OT, which I agree has some, at best, cheesy, at worst, laughable dialog.

Rikalonius
01.02.2012 , 12:25 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
People's expectations were set way too high for the PT, which was for a completely different generation which is where most of the hate comes from. Expectations were set too high, and from there thats where it all went downhill for some people. But remember....those are just opinions, not fact its not Lucas's fault that people's expectations were set too high its their own fault but they don't wanna admit it.

The OT was made for the generation of the 70's/80's, the PT was made for the generation in the early 2000's its that simple. Blaming someone for ruining something, that isn't ruined is just really dumb if it was ruined there wouldn't be Star Wars anymore and people wouldn't be talking about it anymore. NOTHING is ruined, Star Wars is still going on and you know what?

Lucas worked his *** off to bring us this franchise, he had heart problems when he was filming the OT. There was problems with sets, models, things needed to be changed, money was going in all directions. In fact Star Wars was almost non-existent because of all those things, so saying that Luacs is "dumb" or "selfish" or what have you in my book is wrong.

Instead of complaining and whining people, go make your own franchise that changes the world(literally) and makes billions of dollars from nothing and then come back and tell me. Because at the start, Lucas only had a story and a dream.

Wow, now that we've heard from the official representative of the Church of Lucas, letís move on to the truth. Lucas made the prequels because his wife sacked him for most of his dough in the divorce. Lucas started going after the merchandising dollar in ROTJ when he basically fired Kurtz for not getting on board with the changes Lucas wanted to suddenly make, i.e. Ewoks, not killing off Han Solo, because he didn't want it to affect toy sales.

Lucas got really lucky with Star Wars. Star Wars was a decent film, but it was an amalgamation of better films told from a Flash Gordon-esque pop sci-fi perspective. Even the opening crawl is directly plagiarized from Flash Gordon serials. There is only ONE reason Star Wars went on to international glory, Darth Vader. And, if Darth Vader hadn't been voiced by James Earl Jones, he would probably have been a big joke and not the character we know today. Lucas sure seems bent on correcting that though, going out of his way to render everything about Darth Vader into a giant joke. From Jake Lloyds ulta-annoying portral of him as a child, to Hayden Christensen's angsty teen year, to the addition of a cringe inducing "noooo" into probably the best scene in the whole franchise, Lucas is hell bent on running Darth Vader's image aground.

Lucas wasn't all that involved in Empire, and thank goodness for it. That was the film that solidified the Star Wars franchise. Had Lucas kept his hands off of ROTJ it probably would have been even more memorable, but Lucas was more concerned about merchandising. The die was cast as somone once set. Do you want to see what Star Wars would have been without more creative people than himself pushing it in the right direction, watch Willow. Look at the list of things that Lucas had invisioned for Star Wars, and thank the heavens they were never realized. Han Solo as a dwarf? C'mon man! Lucas caught a good break, and he layed out a potential universe with lots of room for storytelling. I don't begrudge him. He was a fine cinematographer. As a writer, not so much. Now, if he'd just get out of the way and let the creative people work, Star Wars will last for a thousand years.

Rikalonius
01.02.2012 , 12:27 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
He said that quote about post-ROTJ before 90% of all the EU came out.
Sorry, that quote about everything after ROTJ not happening was in 2008.

lordsmeagol
01.02.2012 , 12:35 AM | #10
give the man credit u say hes not creative let he gave us this whole universe and ok i do agree the nooo addition to the vader scene is stuip but think of it this way lucas was changing vader yes but he was trying to remaster him for the newer generation(which lets be honest there villians arent really theaterning and are reallly just corny cartoony *******) now to us that like him before we hate hes new dierction but thats no reason to rip him up *** a selfish untalented idiot