Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Theory: Do haters FEAR the potiential influence of SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Theory: Do haters FEAR the potiential influence of SWTOR?

Kwon
01.02.2012 , 12:04 PM | #101
To the original poster:

Yes, people are terrified of the success potential of TOR. Think about it: The VAST majority of MMO players started with or only have ever played WoW. WoW is the first and only MMO to them. TOR is the first real threat to WoW and it scares them, TOR has the potential to take their binky away. For people who have been playing MMO's for years and years (yes, there were MMO's before WoW, GASP!) we see how good TOR really is and accept that its not the same as WoW and that's a good thing. We also know that every MMO that's ever been released needs to be patched and improved after launch, including their coveted WoW.

The WoW generation thinks that WoW created the genre and they are simply wrong, far from it. I started playing an MMO called Asherons Call nearly 12 years ago and was petrified to change to another game after 3 years of playing. But after I gave up my binky I reallized there are other great games out there. And Asherons Call is still one of the best MMO's out there.

I cant say as fact because I don't know, but I am dead certain the vast majority of people trolling TOR are WoW Generation players. They are scared of TOR taking away their binky.

Uben
01.02.2012 , 12:04 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Bollah View Post
Pardo from Blizzard basically said what BioWare is doing with SWTOR is "too much work" and they wouldn't do something like that and take the easy way out. Obviously many don't want SWTOR to succeed because they will have to do so much more work than easily writing quests.
Is it taking an 'easy way out'? or, rather is it that the work they have done for VO has less pay out and fruition? If the VO is more work and more money by a bunch and the gleaned crowd is just not there.. it is wasteful.

If the money can be spent better in other places.. is it the easy way or the more beneficial? That is the real question and one we will not know an answer for until we get about 6 months down the road and see the profit margin.

TOR is a good test. They RELY on mostly the VO factor. To the point of neglecting other industry standard mechanic. It is actually good for an expieriment. It is about the best way we have to see just how much the VO matters in an MMO.

TheGreenAlloy
01.02.2012 , 12:15 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by McAvinue View Post
Theoretical Question: Do haters FEAR the potiential influence of SWTOR?

Insightful Answer:
No, the people "hating" the game want it to be better so they can enjoy the game, and continue to do so in the far future.

Is that what you were looking for master?
No, that's not a hater. You described a sensible individual.

Eshaye
01.02.2012 , 12:18 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by LionRampant View Post
For the love of god do you actually believe people are here complaining because they WANT the game to fail?
No, they want the devs to bend over and cater to THEM and quit with this story nonsense. And that's a problem because it's just not going to happen.

Esaru
01.02.2012 , 12:19 PM | #105
Theory: Do fanboys fear the potential downfall of TOR?

lol see how easy that was? And probably more closer to the truth
|⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮≬[.]███████████████████████████████████████)|

Grammarye
01.02.2012 , 12:21 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by LionRampant View Post
For the love of god do you actually believe people are here complaining because they WANT the game to fail?
Er, some people have actually said this. It is inappropriate for people to tar everyone with that brush, but nevertheless you can anticipate a certain defensive reaction to people actively coming in and trying to ruin the game you're enjoying. Hopefully it will quiet down... eventually...
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

MasterOfEnts
01.02.2012 , 12:23 PM | #107
I'd be surprised if there are any haters that fear the game. What an odd theory.

MasterOfEnts
01.02.2012 , 12:25 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Uben View Post
Is it taking an 'easy way out'? or, rather is it that the work they have done for VO has less pay out and fruition? If the VO is more work and more money by a bunch and the gleaned crowd is just not there.. it is wasteful.

If the money can be spent better in other places.. is it the easy way or the more beneficial? That is the real question and one we will not know an answer for until we get about 6 months down the road and see the profit margin.

TOR is a good test. They RELY on mostly the VO factor. To the point of neglecting other industry standard mechanic. It is actually good for an expieriment. It is about the best way we have to see just how much the VO matters in an MMO.
This is a great point. All that money spent on making the in-game movies and tools required to create them might be quite wasteful. Imagine what other innovative features they could have implemented with that cash!

Ah, well, at least they let us skip the movies if we want to.

MrTijger
01.02.2012 , 12:26 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Esaru View Post
Theory: Do fanboys fear the potential downfall of TOR?

lol see how easy that was? And probably more closer to the truth
Not really. Besides it not really being a realistic scenario, I also woulndt be bothered, games come and go and I play new ones every year.

Kashley
01.02.2012 , 12:29 PM | #110
OP,

People are complaining and hating because they expected more. So much has been dumped in story that major flaws have been over looked, such as the ability delay and optimization issues. They don't want to pay for an semi-redundant interactive story book. They want a challenge.

That is all.
Insert witty signature here.