Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Theory: Do haters FEAR the potiential influence of SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Theory: Do haters FEAR the potiential influence of SWTOR?

Majestic_Jazz
01.01.2012 , 08:53 PM | #1
TL;DR I believe these people just want to sabotage the SWTOR popularity because they fear that if SWTOR grows, the future of MMOs would be more like SWTOR such as focusing on story and the leveling process instead of endgame. They fear that MMOs would become single player friendly. In short, they fear that the SWTOR formula would be the baseline formula for future MMOs.

I'll keep this short but hear me out. SWTOR is obviously not for everyone, especially if you are one of those old school MMO traditionalist who believes the real purpose behind MMOs is endgame and etc.....

With that being said, they do not like how SWTOR has a focus on leveling and not endgame. They do not like how SWTOR is bringing in people [such as myself] who are not traditional MMO players but rather single player gamers whos ONLY reason behind playing SWTOR is the promise of story and the ability to literally play it as a single player game if chosen to. The haters fear that if SWTOR grows and becomes really popular, then SWTOR would be used or could be used as the benchmark for future MMOs meaning future AAA MMOs will have emphasis on story.....interactive dialog....cutscenes and everything else that SWTOR does with the 4th Pillar of story.

These haters have already made up their mind that they do not like SWTOR and will either go back to other current MMOs, or just hold out until Guild Wars 2. However, because they fear that SWTOR could grow, they do not want their current MMOs or future MMOs [GW2] to be lacking in population because everyone is playing SWTOR.

So BASICALLY, the people against SWTOR pretty much want to sabatoge the popularity of SWTOR with the hopes that everyone jumps off of the "SWTOR bandwagon" and play other MMOs or hold out for future MMOs. I mean why is it that the people who supposendly have cancelled their subscription still post here? Why is it that the people who have came to the conclusion that they gate SWTOR.....continue to post here? Why is it that the most passionate opinions about SWTOR tend to be the negative ones?

Lethality
01.01.2012 , 08:58 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Majestic_Jazz View Post
TL;DR I believe these people just want to sabotage the SWTOR popularity because they fear that if SWTOR grows, the future of MMOs would be more like SWTOR such as focusing on story and the leveling process instead of endgame. They fear that MMOs would become single player friendly. In short, they fear that the SWTOR formula would be the baseline formula for future MMOs.
Well, not knocking TOR because it's a good game... but it isn't the view (including my own) of what a true MMO should be. People have varying expectations about what makes a game an MMO.

The vision of my future perfect MMO includes one without player levels, abilities that are skill based (the more you use an ability, the better you get at it), true player driven economy, robust crafting/merchant play, robust diplomacy/faction play, and still have a guided storyline (but not necesssarily for the player character, a general overall world story will do fine.)

Call it a themebox or sandpark... there is a happy medium that has not yet been struck.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

LionRampant
01.01.2012 , 09:01 PM | #3
For the love of god do you actually believe people are here complaining because they WANT the game to fail?

Did you ever consider that many are sick of WoW and other MMO's and are completely disappointed and aghast at the horrible flaws in TOR?

The biggest problem for me is that there are simply TO MANY issues that BW will not fix fast enough, and this game will die as even the most patient of players loses patience with one of the very many issues it has right now.

Believe me I've seen it all before, many times.

klinesmoker
01.01.2012 , 09:02 PM | #4
There is severe ignorance on both ends of this discussion. On the one hand, yes, some people want to see SWTOR fail for whatever sullen reason they have. On the other hand you have an equally vocal population of people who are starry-eyed and cannot see issues with the game.

This is common and unsurprising. Opinions are opinions, but the one thing everyone forgets is that an opinion is not simply invalid because you do not agree. A mentality of such is the definition of unreasonable conversation.

Both sides are awful for communities but are a byproduct of gaming.

Klarick
01.01.2012 , 09:02 PM | #5
Your on the right track OP...Sorta. Gaming forums in general are negative. When you give negative people a platform they will use it -- its human nature for complainers to want to be heard.

WoW has been out for 8 years and, as we all know, is very successful; however their forums are filled with vitriol and hatred and doomsayers. Again, give the .01% a chance to be heard, and they will scream.

Sernon
01.01.2012 , 09:05 PM | #6
As long as they subscribe and is diverted in their views, we get our updates. That's my mantra at least. What else they might do, is their own business, some grand plan beyond individual attention is not necessary, although groups behave in patterns governed by meta behavior, which the individual refuse to accept since it would impact their "free will".

Be that as it may. Need moar SWTOR updates.

---
Truth is far too valuable to be left out in the open. Guard it closely. Hide it well.

Mashy
01.01.2012 , 09:11 PM | #7
The problem as I see it OP is the loss of epeen. Swtor is a game that is enjoyable by the masses and does not concentrate on epeen waving thus offending the soapbox hardcore wannabees. You saw them come out on the forums recently after smashIng their way to 50 and claim that there was nothing to do. Problem with that was that nobody cared then or now. These guys are terrified that their snowflakes have melted before they even hit the ground; and for the most part they Indeed have.

Panic ensued and these same people took to the forums in an attempt to destroy the game by way of bad publicity. This is failing also. The rest of us meanwhile are reveling in our new game and just enjoying all that it has to offer. once the free month has passed and these guy head back to WoW you will see this game flourish with content and good times for all. The haters will be back in the Barrens talking about Chuck Norris' school of Panda studies.

Shortcake
01.01.2012 , 09:12 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
Your on the right track OP...Sorta. Gaming forums in general are negative. When you give negative people a platform they will use it -- its human nature for complainers to want to be heard.

WoW has been out for 8 years and, as we all know, is very successful; however their forums are filled with vitriol and hatred and doomsayers. Again, give the .01% a chance to be heard, and they will scream.
.01%, lmao, just wait for the free month to end and u'll be playing alone

Majestic_Jazz
01.01.2012 , 09:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post

Yes, I understand that there are haters on every videogame forum, no matter how good the game might be. However, there is always a faction of people who not only hate on the game, but they literally fear that the game they hate, could become the benchmark for future games of that genre.

Many people talk about how they believe story is getting in their way and how they hate how SWTOR is a game best enjoyed by leveling [experiencing the story] instead of more traditional MMO means. If SWTOR gets really big, developers could take note and future AAA MMOs could be more like SWTOR and less like the traditional MMO formula. So not only do they hate the game, but they fear the game's potential.

flunkorg
01.01.2012 , 09:15 PM | #10
Hard to believe, but there certainly ARE people who want this game to fail. I've met a few myself.

Its really sad when you think about it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Skoobie View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The game isn't broken, some of the playerbase is.