Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Weekly server maintenance EU times?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Kaarina
01.04.2012 , 07:48 AM | #521
There seems to be some confusion by some. maybe the post are too long and hard to read to get the facts or maybe the ban wagon is easier to hop on and not really know what ride you are taking.

EU players are NOT asking for anything to change in USA Maintenance we are only asking that the EU maintenance be changed to a time that is our off time as well.

No change to USA (does not effect them in anyway )

Only change would be to EU servers and player
Does anyone even read these?

Kalantris
01.04.2012 , 07:48 AM | #522
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
Really? It's your duty to complain? Sorry, but it's not going to help. You're going to be waiting a really long time for a change, my friend.
Yep, it is. How else do you expect the companies to improve their service if they don't get feedback from you. The only way to actually make people do something is either make them beg their colleagues to do it to get you off their backs or take your money away from them. In all other situations people tend to be lazy as hell.

That's why we have to complain. Not only for our own sake, but also for the sake of other customers, who will benefit from our complains.

Regards,
Kalantris
Voluntas Vincit Omnia

WrecklessMEDIC
01.04.2012 , 07:51 AM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalantris View Post
Yep, it is. How else do you expect the companies to improve their service if they don't get feedback from you. The only way to actually make people do something is either make them beg their colleagues to do it to get you off their backs or take your money away from them. In all other situations people tend to be lazy as hell.

That's why we have to complain. Not only for our own sake, but also for the sake of other customers, who will benefit from our complains.

Regards,
Kalantris
Well, good luck with that... I guess.

TheHauntingBard
01.04.2012 , 07:58 AM | #524
When people stop voicing their concern about these issues in games they usually stopped caring.
Customer loyalty goes a long way, ask Blizzard they got an amazing amount of dedicated fans.

If you want the exact opposite, well look at EA, Warhammer and Europe.
Stephen Reid - 9:02a.m. - January 11th 2012 - because in reality, there was never supposed to be a 'Medium' choice - that was a bug.

Kalantris
01.04.2012 , 08:10 AM | #525
Well, good luck with that... I guess.
Thanks. I guess .

Quote: Originally Posted by TheHauntingBard View Post
When people stop voicing their concern about these issues in games they usually stopped caring.
Customer loyalty goes a long way, ask Blizzard they got an amazing amount of dedicated fans.

Exactly that.

Regards,
Kalantris
Voluntas Vincit Omnia

jihn
01.04.2012 , 08:10 AM | #526
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHauntingBard View Post

This.

Sadly its EA/BW and they dont care about anything else than a quick buck. I mean, who would want a solid longtime income?
CE and ... who the frack cares. Hope we all get a good game.

Keadin
01.04.2012 , 08:39 AM | #527
I'd also like to point out that as of 15:30 CET every single European server is at standard or heavy (Tomb of Freedon Nadd at very heavy), so it's hardly off-peak, otherwise everything would be at "light".
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
We don't have friendly fire in The Old Republic for a simple reason: a lot of players are, well... idiots.

Jagax
01.04.2012 , 10:35 AM | #528
Really? It's your duty to complain? Sorry, but it's not going to help. You're going to be waiting a really long time for a change, my friend.
I bet these guys claiming to be from the US are actually from North Korea in order to cement the stereotype of the arrogant and ignorant American.

First they can't read the thread, they keep bringing up things like:
Oh well if we do it when it's night in EU it will be peak time in the US, as if it hasn't been said again and again that a separate down time is wanted.

Then you have the people who try bringing up that separate down times can't work and no one else does it.

Others that obviously must be people pretending to be from the US (because you can't be that ignorant naturally I'm sure) feel obligated to comment, saying that since there are no servers located in Europe, the Europeans will have to cope with US hours.

Then you have those trying to say well what about the players from Australia/NZ/pacific area ?
Yeah, when they localize servers to those areas that will be an issue.

Only decent argument so far was that the client might not be able to handle the switch between a patched server and non-patched one but that can easily be overcome.
Either as it was said before with the patch windows, that the US servers go down before the Eu ones come up or that you simply can't play on a US server with the EU patch until the US servers have been patched.

Patching the login server, well if they really need a long down time there to patch then there's something seriously wrong with the system.

Tarka
01.04.2012 , 10:43 AM | #529
I'm glad to see that today's downtime didn't take as long as they predicted. Perhaps that's a sign of things to come.

Nevertheless, it still wouldn't hurt them to strive to provide the best possible service to the majority of their customers. And that involves ensuring that the servers are up for the times when people are most likely to be partaking in the service. That includes daylight times as well as "peak" time.

Bioware, do yourselves a favour, you are really not helping your image by being stubborn and not following the examples laid by other MMO's. Greg Zeschuk recently said in regards to WoW:

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2011/...-warcraft.html

Quote:
"It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb. If you have established standards, WoW established them."
And yet WoW has region specific downtimes, as do other major MMO's.
So in this sense, Bioware is contradicting Greg's own philosophy.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

Tarka
01.04.2012 , 10:55 AM | #530
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagax View Post
Only decent argument so far was that the client might not be able to handle the switch between a patched server and non-patched one but that can easily be overcome.
Either as it was said before with the patch windows, that the US servers go down before the Eu ones come up or that you simply can't play on a US server with the EU patch until the US servers have been patched.

Patching the login server, well if they really need a long down time there to patch then there's something seriously wrong with the system.
Agreed, at the moment all clients recieve an update after the servers have been patched. This is regardless as to where they are in the world.

Now, to me, what is needed is:
  1. Give the player the opportunity to "delay" patching their client if they want to. Thus, just put a "Run Patch" button on the launcher and warn people that certain servers may be "locked out" until they are updated.
  2. Now, once a patch is complete and the player clicks the "Play" button, the system could get a list of the servers and the versions they are running. This just has to happen once per login.
  3. If a server is found to be running on an earlier version than the client version (e.g. EU servers patched, client was updated because the player accessed those servers, but US servers not patched yet, or vice versa), then client access to that particular server is denied until the server has been patched. And really, the only time this should occur is between the time interval between the EU servers and the US servers are brought back online.

So, this means that no matter where a player is in the world, IF they only play on servers specific to their region, then they could enjoy region specific downtimes AND client updates that are patched in specific relation to when the servers in their region are brought back online.

Of course, I'm sure this has already occurred to the devs.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours