Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Weekly server maintenance EU times?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Weekly server maintenance EU times?

davidlqs's Avatar


davidlqs
01.04.2012 , 07:31 AM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabarok View Post
The reason there is global maintenance instead of separate times is because it hasn't been only "maintenance", but also a patch. When you're dealing with a patch, the only way to have the patch times be different is to completely segregate the regions, so EU players with their freshly patched game can't play on the not-yet-patched US servers. It would become a development nightmare to try and keep global playing while also having different patch times
Your argument only makes any sense if you envisage players with a single client connecting to different servers across the world. Possible, but a really small minority. Even then they could run 2 client installations.

The client must already check the version of the server with the client version in order to automate the patch process so I don't see what the problem is there.

The "we want our patch first" argument is still theoretically valid, but I don't see too many threads on here insisting we retain the same patch times as US servers. Quite a few about having overnight EU maintenance though....

spudbynight's Avatar


spudbynight
01.04.2012 , 07:33 AM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
You're going to get seperate maintenance schedules... eventually. But for right now you have to deal with the way it is. My point is complaining about it isn't going to make it happen any sooner. It'll be ready when it's ready. They have much more important issues to take care of right now.
Well then alternate it and we can take turns? How about them apples?

Snorbuckle's Avatar


Snorbuckle
01.04.2012 , 07:36 AM | #513
Quote: Originally Posted by AKfourtyseven View Post
The simple fact is why bother having EU servers if the maintenance window is not geared towards affecting the least amount of EU based players playing on those Eu servers? Anyone from the US, playing on a US server honestly has no valid input when trying to belittle those highlighting the lack of fairness with the timing, since it is of no consequence to them (since the US servers have an appropriate downtime).

Sadly, its a move that i entirely expected since EU servers are often treated like crap in MMOs.
Why bother? Really?

How about latency?

Kaarina's Avatar


Kaarina
01.04.2012 , 07:37 AM | #514
WrecklessMEDIC can you please post source and quote from BW employee who has stated that? So far all I seen them post regarding this is NOTHING

Ignoring us will not make it better, right or fix it
Does anyone even read these?

Kalantris's Avatar


Kalantris
01.04.2012 , 07:37 AM | #515
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabarok View Post
The reason there is global maintenance instead of separate times is because it hasn't been only "maintenance", but also a patch. When you're dealing with a patch, the only way to have the patch times be different is to completely segregate the regions, so EU players with their freshly patched game can't play on the not-yet-patched US servers. It would become a development nightmare to try and keep global playing while also having different patch times, and it would piss off more players because "they get the patch before we do". Tell me of a MMO that allows cross-region playing without a global patch downtime?
The only way? Wut? Example (GMT times):

02:00 - 09:00 EU maintenance.
08:00 - 15:00 (02:00 - 09:00 west coast time) US maintenance.

Where's the patch problem? Either the US or the EU servers are down. Europeans get their patch, the US servers go down, US players have to wait till their servers come up and can instantly patch their client and even log in to the EU servers without a problem. Where is the problem exactly?

Quote: Originally Posted by Sabarok View Post
As for why EU can't have it during the night, it's not because Bioware thinks US is more important than EU, but because EU is physically located to the east. 3 AM GMT downtime is great for EU, but that puts the downtime at starting at 7 pm PST, and running for the rest of the NA prime time. Having to scheduled for GMT -8 through GMT +2 doesn't make for many timespans that can reasonably accommodate everyone. You might be complaining about mid-day downtimes in EU, but how about GMT +10? They're being hurt more then you are, but you don't care about that. You complain about mid-day patches, but you want to give them mid-day patches. I'm sure Australia would love it if downtime was during their night and during EU's prime time, and NA wouldn't care as much as EU because it would be happening mid-day.
Australia is out of the picture. There are no australian servers. There are EU servers. Simple difference. You assume maintenance has to be done on all servers at the same time, which is obviously wrong.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sabarok View Post
What's worse, EU having downtime during the early part of the day or NA having downtime during the evening? Yes, parts of EU get slightly affected at the start of their prime time, but only if the maintenance lasts the full 8 hours and gets into extended. The alternative is to have NA seriously affected on every single maintenance.
During the last maintenance we had downtime till 19:00 and then an hour in the queue. Some had 3 hours in the queue. That's a whole day off. No difference at all actually. EU gets seriously affected.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sabarok View Post
Having employees come in during the middle of the night is very inconvenient for Bioware, so I'm sure they picked the time span where the fewest number of players globally are logged in. No matter what time they choose, players are affected.
I don't give a sh*t. Really. The EU servers are located in Ireland. The company I signed my deal with is located in the UK. Where's the "middle of the night" problem now? The US team can perform the EU maintenance in normal working hours and same thing works the other way around. No problem.

Regards,
Kalantris
Voluntas Vincet Omnia

WrecklessMEDIC's Avatar


WrecklessMEDIC
01.04.2012 , 07:39 AM | #516
Quote: Originally Posted by davidlqs View Post
Are you thick or just a troll? Why does anyone complain about anything? To express dissatisfaction in the hope of effecting change. I imagine there are a huge number of non-compaining subscribers (like me, for example) for whom this isn't such a big deal. We don't care enough about the service being unavailable to complain about it. Those that do care enough, complain in the hope that EA will change something.

Is that a clear enough answer to your question?

Are you denying these people the right to complain? Complaints are what improves stuff. If no-one complains then nothing will change. I don't feel the need to complain about this issue, but I certainly wouldn't be so bloody arrogant as to deny anyone else the right to do so.
BioWare is already aware of this issue. They will address it when they feel like it. Complaining over and over and over gets you nowhere. Constant whinning only gets you mocked, ridiculed or ignored.

Kalantris's Avatar


Kalantris
01.04.2012 , 07:41 AM | #517
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
BioWare is already aware of this issue. They will address it when they feel like it. Complaining over and over and over gets you nowhere. Constant whinning only gets you mocked, ridiculed or ignored.
Imho you're wrong. It's not only our right but also our duty to complain as customers to make sure the service gets better and better. Every feedback is a good feedback and every company knows that. Furthermore it will show us how Bioware treats their customers. If they fail people will take their money elsewhere. Simple.

Regards,
Kalantris
Voluntas Vincet Omnia

Crenshaw's Avatar


Crenshaw
01.04.2012 , 07:42 AM | #518
Why do you keep posting here WrecklessMEDIC? YOU are actually complaining even more than anyone else in this topic atm? If Bioware dont like us to say when we are unhappy about something THEY will close the thread.... We dont need you "running" around in this thread with your "holier than thou" attitude.

Alot of people are unhappy with this so then we have no right to complain because you dont approve?

WrecklessMEDIC's Avatar


WrecklessMEDIC
01.04.2012 , 07:45 AM | #519
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalantris View Post
Imho you're wrong. It's not only our right but also our duty to complain as customers to make sure the service gets better and better. Every feedback is a good feedback and every company knows that. Furthermore it will show us how Bioware treats their customers. If they fail people will take their money elsewhere. Simple.

Regards,
Kalantris
Really? It's your duty to complain? Sorry, but it's not going to help. You're going to be waiting a really long time for a change, my friend.

Nerk's Avatar


Nerk
01.04.2012 , 07:45 AM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
Why do you keep posting here WrecklessMEDIC? YOU are actually complaining even more than anyone else in this topic atm? If Bioware dont like us to say when we are unhappy about something THEY will close the thread.... We dont need you "running" around in this thread with your "holier than thou" attitude.
it's called trolling. the more we feed him the more he'll do that. just ignore him until he actually says something that makes sense