Jedi Descendants?

TheZii

So as you all know Satele Shan is a descendant of Bastila Shan, who was alive more than a hundred years or so before TOR. So if Jedi can't have relationships or marry, how do they have descendants..

(Inb4 one night stand responses.)

So as you all know Satele Shan is a descendant of Bastila Shan, who was alive more than a hundred years or so before TOR. So if Jedi can't have relationships or marry, how do they have descendants..

There is a good explanation for it.

*Swtor Revan spoilers*

First off it is around 300 years when bastilla shan was alive.

Jedi around that time werent allowed to have relationships aswell.

but the jedi council at the time made an agreement with revan and Bastilla since it was revans love that brought here back from the darkside cause by malak.

So the council allowed for them to get married and have all the things you are allowed to do as husband and wife obviously. But under the agreement they both remain a jedi but they keep out of jedi affairs and dont try to influence other members of the order with revan and bastilla's new age jedi thinking or something dont remember details. so they were allowed at that time

Bastila was definetly in love with Revan. Its no doubt that after they killed Malak that they had relations.

The Old Jedi Order may have forbidden relationships*, but that doesn't mean they can actually keep people from falling in love. That's going to happen no matter what, and some of those people are going to pursue relationships even if the Order doesn't approve. Some of those relationships may become known, while others may successfully remain secret. There are other examples of Jedi after this timeframe who had children and were even married.

In the X-Wing novels, for example, Rogue Squadron pilot Corran Horn discovers that his father Valin Horn had once been a Jedi. Valin was born Valin Halcyon, the secret son of Jedi Knight Nejaa Halcyon, and was a survivor of the Great Jedi Purge.

For additional prominent EU examples, see Kam Solusar, whose father Jedi Master Ranik Solusar was killed by Darth Vader, and Kyle Katarn, whose father Morgan had once been a Jedi.

(* This had to have changed at some point during the periods of time covered by the Tales of the Jedi series, because there was at least one Jedi in that series who was married and had a child. Granted, this was published before the Prequel Trilogy was released, so no one at the time would've known Jedi were forbidden from having relationships.)

...whose father Morgan had once been a Jedi.

To quote the man in question, "I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Jedi Knight." Yes, Force-sensitive. Yes, best friend was a Jedi. Yes, had a kid who went on to become a fairly powerful Jedi. But Morgan himself was never a Jedi.

actually before the modern jedi era(meaning right before the movies) jedi were aloud relationships and they were trained alot older in life because the jedi order wasnt strict at that time in kotor2 the handimadien talks about her mother who was a jedi and that was completely normal it wasnt until more recently that the jedi chasity rule toke affect

To quote the man in question, "I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Jedi Knight." Yes, Force-sensitive. Yes, best friend was a Jedi. Yes, had a kid who went on to become a fairly powerful Jedi. But Morgan himself was never a Jedi.

Ah, thanks for the correction. It's been such a long time since I read the X-Wing novels that I'm not surprised I messed that up.

It seems that the Jedi Order was undergoing some changes during the time of KOTOR. Still in the process of changing from the 'Tales of the Jedi' Order - in which marriage and love are fine and Jedi are decentralised wanderers - to something closer to the Prequels Jedi Order.

The person most responsible for pushing this change? Atris. Yes, Jedi archivist Atris of KOTOR2. That's how she was elected to the Council. Considering her frustration at not being a male Exile's girlfriend, this really does make sense...

One of the JK companions that you can romance gives a few clues about this one...

From my recollection (there is a Youtube video somewhere with the conversation in it), in the time of SWTOR, Jedi who have been born and raised within the order are allowed to have relationships under certain restrictions. The two people in the relationship are separately interviewed by the Jedi Council to ensure they remain emotionally detatched. However, the relationship and the production of children is perfectly possible.