Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dungeon Finder Needed Badly.

Arkhias
01.01.2012 , 10:34 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by carnac_fett View Post
I don't see what a dungeon finder has to do with the destruction of community. Can you elaborate on your strange comment?
He, among others others, is under the delusion that a tool/queue to assemble people into a group somehow erodes a sense of community while shouting in general for two hours builds it.

In either scenario, no more than a few sentences are generally passed among group members.

Guess which scenario will eventually hemorrhage the most subscribers (AKA the community), though?

carnac_fett
01.01.2012 , 10:34 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
When you can just click a button and enter a dungeon queue, you no longer need to socialize with your server.

This means the server slowly degrades into a bunch of people waiting in a queue, never joining guilds, never creating a proper community.

Guilds are the foundation of an MMO. Any function that makes success possible without a guild degrades the community.

The community grows when you have no choice but to socialize with people to get into raids/dungeons.
I don't see how spamming in general chat builds the game's community but pressing a button to enter a queue for a dungeon destroys it.

There is no mystical voodoo that prevents people from socializing and building friendships in a dungeon-finder group.

Bad communities kill bad communities.

A lot of people use WoW as some sort of grand example that an LFD tool destroys a game.

WoW's community was awful LONG BEFORE the LFD tool came out.
Safeguard - Jedi Guardian - Harbinger (US)

Gohlar
01.01.2012 , 10:35 AM | #23
Some people always argue but we will see a LFD tool.

Wait and see.

Kaphik
01.01.2012 , 10:35 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Gohlar View Post
DCUO, there are more too. I think it would be easier to name games that don't have a lfg tool.

It's a game man, sometimes people just want to play. Besides here's a scenario:

General: Need Tank for X
Me: I'll go
/invite gohlar

What are we friends now? Have we forged a bond? lol no.
Exactly, this works! When people clamor for a grouping tool, they want to be automatically put into groups. It's the epitome of laziness, in my opinion. WoW only added a cross-server LFD because DPS players were complaining.

Gohlar
01.01.2012 , 10:36 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaphik View Post
Exactly, this works! When people clamor for a grouping tool, they want to be automatically put into groups. It's the epitome of laziness, in my opinion. WoW only added a cross-server LFD because DPS players were complaining.
Lazy while playing a video game has always been an amusing argument imo.

Chat spam does work. It's just slow and tedious. If someone isn't staring at the chat, they can miss it. That's why we will be seeing a LFD tool here soon hopefully.

carnac_fett
01.01.2012 , 10:37 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by flankster View Post
think he is on about Panda Land
I'm actually on about every MMO worth two poodoos released in the last seven years.
Safeguard - Jedi Guardian - Harbinger (US)

Yfelsung
01.01.2012 , 10:37 AM | #27
I don't see how spamming in general chat builds the game's community but pressing a button to enter a queue for a dungeon destroys it.

There is no mystical voodoo that prevents people from socializing and building friendships in a dungeon-finder group.
That's an argument against general chat, not one for the LFG tool.

A game with a good community would forsake world/zone spanning channels all together.

This would mean you MUST socialize and befriend people.

A lot of today's MMO players didn't play in the golden age of MMOs, where people made long term friendships and sometimes even met their future wives/husbands.

Two of my best gaming friends met online, moved in together and have now been married for 5+ years.

That kind of stuff doesn't happen in modern MMOs because of the push for LFD tools, world spanning LFG channels and other such community destroying mechanics.

There was a time when people used /say to talk to each other in MMOs, and it was a beautiful time.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

WarTornPanda
01.01.2012 , 10:37 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Zmidponk View Post
Copy paste from my own post in another thread:
Or... they could just... improve upon the current system? It's total garbage right now.
"I like assassinating assassins. They always look so surprised."
Imperial Agent

Kaphik
01.01.2012 , 10:38 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Gohlar View Post
Lazy while playing a video game has always been an amusing argument imo.

Chat spam does work. It's just slow and tedious. That's why we will be seeing a LFD tool here soon hopefully.
It takes just as much time as a LFD tool does. What you may be failing to understand is right now people are all over the level range, and even if there were a LFD in this game it would take time to get people for a group. You just want to click a button then do nothing. Funny thing is going to be if they do add a LFD we suddenly get a thousands posts crying about wait times for dps.

SnaggleFox
01.01.2012 , 10:38 AM | #30
World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, RIFT, and Aion.
Aion's LFG system is one I would love to see in this game because it's not an auto group thing. I think it's one people would like no matter what side their on of the whole argument.