Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So where is the alleged "heroic combat"?

InfiniteShift
01.01.2012 , 03:49 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by SpeckledHen View Post
EDIT: I know my post is long enough as is and that most people probably won't read it. My one suggestion to improve things would be to allow us to respec our skills for group content. In Mandalorian Raiders, I grouped with two Smugglers and a Jedi. At the time my commando hybrid build had 11 points in gunnery and 7 in healing. It became obvious that we did not have enough DPS for the hounds and their hound master. So, it would have been great if one of the smugglers could have respecced as a healer, and if I could have respecced for more dps. However, that option is not available. We had so much trouble with the mission, that we disbanded.

I think the ability to respec would help group content along. Groups disbanding because they do not have the right composition, to me, is a bad thing.
You are able to respec in this game, you need to visit a "Skill Mentor" vendor.
Also, I'm not entirely sure if your group realised this or not, if you drag the dogs away from the boss, especially when the boss has a red circle around him, the dogs deal significantly less damage and you can ignore them, so long as they are away from the boss.

SpeckledHen
01.01.2012 , 03:57 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by InfiniteShift View Post
You are able to respec in this game, you need to visit a "Skill Mentor" vendor.
Also, I'm not entirely sure if your group realised this or not, if you drag the dogs away from the boss, especially when the boss has a red circle around him, the dogs deal significantly less damage and you can ignore them, so long as they are away from the boss.
Yes, I know I can respecc. But it means paying out credits for the privilege. Not something I am willing to do just so I can make the group I am with viable. It is kind of a pain. What I meant was that I really wish we could easily do it on the fly. I'm not sure why the insistence on making it as inconvenient as possible. I'm guessing this is a hold over from other MMOs? Is it convention? Something that can be easily exploitable? Because I don't really see the reason why it has to be so rigid.

edit: oh and thanks for the tip on those hounds. I did not know that.

Erian
01.02.2012 , 04:04 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by InfiniteShift View Post
Firstly, having a lightsaber and the ability to use the force does not make one invincible. So don't expect to be able to conquer massive horde of enemies.
"Massive hordes" on a big open plain while I'm alone? No. But how about four people using all the tricks in their toolbox as well as the environment against a small army? Your example would be over-the-top I agree, and I don't want that.

Quote:
There are some fights where you take on massive enemies, others where you take on an elite squad of veterans. There is the occasional "bunch of scrubby PC weaklings against a single godlike NPC" fight however.
If there are occasional fights roughly like what I hoped for when I heard "heroic combat", that's something at least I just wish there was more of it, in solo and group content.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeckledHen View Post
I am surprised by the reaction you are getting. From reading your post, I know you don't want the ability to one shot enemies.
Exactly. Trolls will be trolls, apparently. I like and want a good challenge both solo and in a group. What I don't like are all those "dogpile on a super-NPC who laughs off most of your special abilities (if your class even has any) while kicking you around like a hapless football" fights when we're told OOC that there will be "heroic combat" and told IC how we're basically the Second Coming. What I don't like is that there are countless elites who don't even have a name and are more than our equal at even level, used as "trash" for a dime a dozen.

It just doesn't add up, and it isn't really fun or interesting either, especially if you've played a MMO before and were hoping for a breath of fresh air.

Quote:
The game, ironically, almost assumes that you have played another Massively Multi-Player Online Game (MMO). Because if you haven't, you will be sorely unprepared for flashpoints. I, myself, did not understand the importance of crowd control and my own crowd control abilities (Concussive Round, Concussion Blast, Cryo Grenade). It wasn't until a Jedi I had grouped with explained it to me, that I realised how important they are.
Yes, that is a good point about new players. It might be interesting if the game itself had a few tutorial missions to show those basic MMO/teamwork staples, but I don't know how it could be done given the variety of potential group compositions.

Quote:
And, then, the switcheroo. These abilities do not work on certain bosses.
And that, in addition to making our supposedly highly gifted and skilled heroes look like hapless grunts, also significantly dumbs down combat because suddenly you lose a good part of your arsenal. More for some classes, less for others; for example low-level Knights get several skills that have a stun side-effect but none of them work even on silvers -- i.e. in any fight that is actually important or challenging. Not fun.

Quote:
Groups disbanding because they do not have the right composition, to me, is a bad thing.
Agreed: if you have a tank, a healer and two DPS you should be able to do anything provided the group understands their classes and teamwork, and isn't noticeably undergeared or underlevelled. Hybrid builds like yours sadly often reach their limits in harder content, though there are exceptions.

I don't know the content and classes well enough in this game to say if group composition is an issue here, but the availability of CC alone can really make or break a group. That is frustrating and, getting back to the topic, doesn't feel "heroic" either.
"Beware of the blindness of those who would follow,
and the damnable lure of those who would lead."
- Tamoko, Baldur's Gate