Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Expanded Universe ???? LOL ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Expanded Universe ???? LOL ?

FalcoLombardi
01.07.2012 , 04:14 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
Some of this is uneededly sarcastic.

Saecasm is always needed
......|||
======= God Bless
......|||
......|||

divinedoom
01.07.2012 , 04:45 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamHyden View Post
The post is an article on cracked.com shame on you for basically parading it as your own work

http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5...than-prequels/

Enjoy everyone, they have other Star Wars articles as well.
he did say he stole it from another site in the beginning of his post.
For Mand'alore

WerniesSturm
01.07.2012 , 04:59 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamHyden View Post
The post is an article on cracked.com shame on you for basically parading it as your own work

http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5...than-prequels/

Enjoy everyone, they have other Star Wars articles as well.
Learn to read, I said so in the beginning that I stole this from another site. I´ve been reading all the post ROTJ stuff on wookieepedia and then searched a bit further and this article expresses just what I´m thinking, only that author knows how to write it down perfectly and made me wet my pants laughing.

I´m not taking any credits for this article !

I just wanted to know what other people´opinions are on this matter, though I respect the fact that other do like the EU post ROTJ.

EDIT: You beat me to it , divinedoom

DrManse
01.07.2012 , 05:27 PM | #54
Hah, epic post.
Frankly this is a story about space wizards from the past future in the vein of Flash Gordon. Any point where you aren't laughing out loud is a testiment to excellent writing. The parts where you are laughing out loud should be the norm.
I only giggle sometimes and love the entire thing.

DustyDuneroller
01.07.2012 , 05:49 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by WerniesSturm View Post
Learn to read, I said so in the beginning that I stole this from another site. I´ve been reading all the post ROTJ stuff on wookieepedia and then searched a bit further and this article expresses just what I´m thinking, only that author knows how to write it down perfectly and made me wet my pants laughing.

I´m not taking any credits for this article !

I just wanted to know what other people´opinions are on this matter, though I respect the fact that other do like the EU post ROTJ.

EDIT: You beat me to it , divinedoom

Wookiepedia is not the place to see if you like the stuff in the EU, a bookstore or library is. As has been stated, the original movies can sound just as ridiculous if reduced down that way.

For instance, A New Hope is about a poor farm boy who meets a wizard, a pirate, and a giant dog after is foster parents are killed. The boy goes on to rescues a princess who kisses him and he falls in love with, even though she is secretly his sister. The farm boy then joins the princess's army and winds up destroying a space station the size of a small moon by firing at it once with his eyes closed.

-----------

If you want to know if you'll like it, read it. The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn is always highly recommended. I also recommend the Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin. It gives some background on the character I always loved the most from the OT, from his childhood to the Mos Eisley cantina where he met Obi Wan and Luke.

Intarabus
01.07.2012 , 06:19 PM | #56
No wonder this text is a lot about the Dark Empire/Empires end, which has a lot of ridiculously Over-The-Top-stuff.
It is even so silly that the emperor clones himself twice and builds two times super weapons more deadly than the death star in that story arc. I did not like Dark side Luke either, especially when he already had his dark side temptation moment on the second death star. And not to forget, we have also Super Luke, Super Leia and Super Emperor in it, who burst into huge force balls at the end of the first part.
But there were too good points in it, one of them very important for the EU.
First, I don't see Brand as Master Plot-device. I liked how Luke tried to gather new jedi and only two of them survived the first battles. Which was, to be honest, contradicted soon by "Jedi Outcast", where Yavin already has been swarmed with Jedi.
Second, Empires end paved the way for the whole "Old Republic"-EU, since it etablished a lot of things which were used in the following works from the first real Old Republic-Comics until this very game. For Empires end, they created the planet Balmorra and it heavily influenced the apperance and idea of Korribans sith tombs, which remained unusually unchanged in the later EU-Works until today. Other things were the first jedi academy on Ossus and the first appearance of the old jedi masters (Ood Bnar).

Omnitheo
01.07.2012 , 06:35 PM | #57
Dark Empire and Empires End are really over the top.

To the point that most author's try to ignore it. Aspects do creep in from time to time. Han says to Luke at one point in the FotJ series "This is the worst idea you've had since you agreed to join the emperor". Even Mara Jade doesn't believe Luke about the stuff regarding the resurrected emperor.

The idea with Star Wars, is that everything is legend, it happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, and every author who writes about it is putting their own twist on history. Watch any movie inspired by real events, things have been shifted or adjusted for effect. I would like to think that the DE stuff is real, but as it's represented in comic form, it's embellished quite a bit.

What i would like to see, is a novel (or trilogy even) to take place at this time, and provide a new canon for these events. Something that manages to keep certain aspects of the stories, but without going so crazy. There is some cool stuff that happens, and the World Devastator level was my favorite from Rogue Squadron, so that needs to be canon.

Not just that, but the art from DE is just so terrible, it makes it hard to get into.

Omnitheo
01.07.2012 , 06:37 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by DustyDuneroller View Post

If you want to know if you'll like it, read it. The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn is always highly recommended. I also recommend the Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin. It gives some background on the character I always loved the most from the OT, from his childhood to the Mos Eisley cantina where he met Obi Wan and Luke.
Han Solo trilogy will always be one of my favorites.

even if you don't want to have anything to do with the EU, but you like Han Solo, you will love these books.

DustyDuneroller
01.07.2012 , 09:56 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Omnitheo View Post
Han Solo trilogy will always be one of my favorites.

even if you don't want to have anything to do with the EU, but you like Han Solo, you will love these books.
Agreed completely. In fact, The Paradise Snare was the first full length novel I ever read. I was about 12 years old at the time. I still credit that book for kickstarting my love of reading. Which is funny, because one of my favorite authors, Jim Butcher, credits The Han Solo Adventures as kickstarting his love of reading. Note that The HS Trilogy and The HS Adventures are two completely different sets of books. The Adventures was written first and takes place during a gap in the second book of The HS Trilogy.

Darthmealready
01.07.2012 , 10:58 PM | #60
Before you read any further, read this: I love Star Wars and really enjoy a lot of the EU. Nevertheless, all of the EU stuff is a bit silly, at the very least. None of it is very well written; yes, even the much vaunted Thrawn Trilogy feels as though a community college English major wrote it. But, I guess that's part of the charm.

I read quite a bit. In addition to work related material, I probably read two or three books per week. I like to add a Star Wars novel into the mix at times. I enjoy them without exception, but they are all truly poor works of fiction. Try reading something that has won a Pulitzer, then read one of the New Jedi Order books. All of the EU books are filled with plot holes, half-assed deus ex machinas (looking at you ysalamiri and Thrawn), and, yes, spelling errors. But, for some reason, I can't put it down once I pick one up.

Back to the main point of the thread: yes, they're silly and usually they suffer from some awful writing, but they're also a lot of fun and part of our culture.

What I think is very necessary, but there's really no good way to do it, is for the entire universe to be retconned. Jedi were not invulnerable in the original films, could not move planets, could not cast strange sith spells, etc.... It wasn't really magic, or it would have been called magic. It was the Force -- it had limitations and scientific connotations. The Jedi need to have their powers cut across the board. It wasn't the Force, after all, that saved Luke or Vader (or the Emperor for that matter, since...well...he wasn't saved at all). It was their humanity, faith, etc....

Well, off the pulpit for me. Thanks for reading, and sorry about the length.