Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Expanded Universe ???? LOL ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Expanded Universe ???? LOL ?

Vazorath
01.02.2012 , 10:39 PM | #31
Spoilers much?

madjiuce
01.03.2012 , 03:39 PM | #32
History always repeats its self.

Dabih
01.03.2012 , 07:11 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by WerniesSturm View Post

With only these three superpowered individuals left, the future of the Galaxy seems bleak.

Not so fast...

One thing the good guys have to do to deal with the post-Death Star Empire is enlist the help of Jedi. Lots of them. In "sequel" comics like Dark Forces, much of the plot involves enlisting the help of these guys that are just hanging around in remote parts of the galaxy.

As it turns out, contrary to popular belief (a term which here means "what the films specifically told us in no uncertain terms"), the Jedi were not entirely wiped out but merely went into hiding. Again, we understand it's not Star Wars without Jedi and you can't wait for an army to be rebuilt from Luke and Leia's inbred children. The writers only had so many options.

But are we really to believe that these characters just sat on their fat asses, doing nothing to help while their Jedi brethren were getting thrown in the dumpster? That seems just a little out of character for the Galaxy's "Protectors of Freedom."
Don't shoot me, but I believe you're missing a point that Palpatine had clouded the future using the dark side - I beileve Yoda says something to young Obi along the lines that he no longer can see in the future or something.

The second KOTOR explains this perfectly and logically.

***SPOILERS INCOMING***

Spoiler

Sure, why don't the other Jedi help? Well, in KOTOR they sort of do, and I doubt "Force Hide" or whatever it is called is just a Dark Side skill so technically the hidden Jedi might have been secretly assisting Luke without his knowledge - smuggling vital supplies/medical equipment, spying, infiltration/assassination, all in absolute secrecy. I haven't read anything after the movies/games apart from bits and pieces I find interesting on some characters so I don't know if that's ever covered in the EU or maybe the storywriters did have these powerful individuals with amazing abilities just kind of kick back with a beer and watch - if they did, then DERP A HERP :P

Darthdscrilla
01.04.2012 , 03:47 PM | #34
Thanks OP, thanks for the Hilarity!

That was pretty much my reaction when my friend told me all about the EU novels years ago. At-least the TOR setting makes some decent produce from the fertilizer heaped out over the years. I have a love/hate relationship with wookiepedia.

To quote a guildmate Re: Dengar

Quote:
That's exactly how awesome Star Wars was and why George Lucas is so ... rich. Even the most obscure ... of an afterthought placeholder in a scence that lasted maybe fifteen seconds gets like 5,000 words on wiki
Kids: just say NO to Licensed Novels/comics. For my money only the robot chicken parodies are worth the time

DarylMusashi
01.04.2012 , 04:20 PM | #35
The way I go about handling it is to have two distinct universes for Star Wars.

In the first Star Wars Universe there is only the events of the original trilogy.

In the second Star Wars Universe there are the events of the 1997 redone original trilogy. There are also the events of all books, short stories, comics, cartoons, cgi's, games, popular fan fictions, TV specials, the new trilogy of movies, and any other Star Wars related product or performance.

All I know is that this helps me deal with all the plot induced stupidity, continuity errors, and other things I personally don't like about various Star Wars properties of the so called "Expanded Universe".

OutOfSight
01.04.2012 , 06:29 PM | #36
I think most EU content is pretty decent.
"It says that the effect of drinking a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

bigmanjokk
01.04.2012 , 06:32 PM | #37
the EU brought Darth Talon with it so its all good

Rayvonuk
01.04.2012 , 07:31 PM | #38
I do not think it is that bad, afterall, history does have a tendancy to repeat itself.

Darth_Cliche
01.04.2012 , 10:29 PM | #39
I ignore much of the EU.

Mariasha
01.04.2012 , 11:15 PM | #40
I enjoyed most of the EU, though I've only read post-RotJ so far. I could make the original movies sound as bad as the OPs post does for EU.
Ysana Organa, Level 50 Sage
<Sorry 'Bout the Mess>
of the Space Slug server