Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Making it easier to re-specialize?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Making it easier to re-specialize?

Satans_Chosen
01.01.2012 , 04:20 AM | #1
I haven't tried because the warning says it gets more expensive with each re-spec, and I don't want to waste an early cheap re-spec then have the next one cost like 100k. I think re-spec should be free. I should be allowed to be a more dps oriented on my Sith Sorcerer when I am playing my story quests but still easily switch to a healing role for a team FP. The same goes for every class.

I do not see any benefit for restricting re-spec by making it more and more expensive, though the reality may be less punishing; I don't know. Sure, you don't want someone to ruin a game for the team by being in a role he's no good at, but gamers pick these things up fast. Let them try the new role for a few days, and they should be competent enough for most PvE and casual PvP. I am sure hardcore PvP teams have pretty effective screening to weed out less desirables. The up side is that every class will have much greater flexibility and replayability.

I don't know the reason for restricting re-spec. Maybe that's the way another game has done it. There is no reason to copy everything wholesale from another game if that's the case. Guild Wars has managed to keep a good portion of her players coming back years after all possible interest in missions/dungeons/quests/story has disappeared precisely because there is an interest to get one's skill build just a little bit better. And it's fun to play a role you don't normally do when the stake is not particularly high. SWTOR can take the cue on skills only from GW.

If the reason is business. I doubt any appreciable player population will be willing to buy another copy of SWTOR and pay another subscription just so they could try another build on some of the classes. Besides, SWTOR already restricts Advanced Classes. If someone will maintain two accounts, he's gonna do it for that reason.

It's a game, it should be fun and accessible for as many players as possible. Those who really care to be exceptional at one role can do that. Those that want others on their team to be like that too usually play with people they know. No one will be harmed, and it makes the game more enjoyable.
Precise, Complete, Succinct

alpatalik
01.01.2012 , 04:39 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Satans_Chosen View Post
next one after the 96k is back to 1.2k.

Satans_Chosen
01.01.2012 , 04:46 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by alpatalik View Post
next one after the 96k is back to 1.2k.
lol. How interesting! I wonder why that is? Does it then stay at 1.2k or cycle again?
Precise, Complete, Succinct

alpatalik
01.01.2012 , 04:47 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Satans_Chosen View Post
lol. How interesting! I wonder why that is? Does it then stay at 1.2k or cycle again?
I believe the cycle starts again. But I didn't check it since 22th December.