Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Qyzen Fess sucks!

Gihl
01.01.2012 , 12:11 AM | #1
1) No decent Techblades unless you, or someone you know does Armstech crafting!
2) No Orange, moddable Techblades anywhere, whereas ALL other weapon classes are available with Coruscant Commendations!
3) Takes longer than any other companion to actually start attacking a target after giving the 'attack target command!'
4) (As with many other companions), will do nothing if commanded to attack a target through a door or hallway that leads to a different map!
5) Often breaks crowd control even when his AE skill is turned off!
6) Takes too long to get your next companion!

If you are going to drastically change a major gameplay mechanic shortly before release, you better make damn sure you change loot tables and quest rewards to adequately support those changes!

You need to be more forthcoming with what you are working on and what to expect in upcoming patches. You have FAR less classes and skills than any other MMORPG of this calibur in the last 5 years, which means alot less need for class balancing. But since you are forcing players to use this Companion mechanic (with no choice of companions outside what our base class is given), you really need to make sure its damn solid.

-Gihl

P.S. in those guides I've read that include suggestions for what crafting skill to go with, ALL of them recommend NOT taking Armstech.

Conundrum-NSA
01.01.2012 , 12:13 AM | #2
I love Qyzen, though he's less cute than Mako

I will agree that he breaks CC ALL the time if you forget to turn off EMP burst after every single zone boundary (there are more than you think.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."
Ord Mantell Squadron 01
Everyone can use a little FREE HELP when starting out in a new universe. Click HERE to receive items to get you started out right when you join us in The Old Republic.

AERHAE
01.01.2012 , 12:17 AM | #3
Wow,which class gets this companion?,im not messing with it until fixed.
CE VIP

Pyrolight
01.01.2012 , 12:19 AM | #4
Err I mean consular

Conundrum-NSA
01.01.2012 , 12:25 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AERHAE View Post
Wow,which class gets this companion?,im not messing with it until fixed.
Qyzen is fine, especially if you're healer specced.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."
Ord Mantell Squadron 01
Everyone can use a little FREE HELP when starting out in a new universe. Click HERE to receive items to get you started out right when you join us in The Old Republic.

Andryah
01.01.2012 , 12:32 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA View Post
/agree.

Its easy to get techblades for him at any weapon vendor (if you don't get a drop for him).

You are leveling up, so just put fresh green gear on him regularly and he is a fine tank. Orange gear is more trouble then it is worth for a companion while leveling.

As for the control issues identified by OP, I have not found this to be any real problem. Learn to play nicely within the known constraints of our companion, IMO.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

Chaizen
01.01.2012 , 12:47 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA View Post
^^ This.

I love Qyzen and have been using him up through level 31 now with great success. He's even been able to sub in for a tank for a couple flashpoints if we ended up losing a tank temporarily or at the last minute. I can always easily take down gold-level elite mobs up to 1-2 levels higher then me as long as I keep up with upgrading his gear on an equal level with my sage (specced with all points in healing), leaning towards higher endurance and defense stats instead of aim and offense stats (don't even bother looking at the 'color' of an item. My Qyzen is mostly in greens right now and he's doing great.)

That having been said, he does have a couple strange issues like the time it takes for him to respond to some commands, and some strange pathing issues at times. I've seen issues like this with every artificial AI NPC in every game I play though so it's hardly news to me, nor is it something I expect Bioware to fix soon since it appears to be a general limitation with any NPC that can't think and learn for themselves. Just keeping things in context here when I say that's not my issue with Qyzen. That's with all AI in general, from SWTOR companions to Skyrim companions to Yoshi in Super Mario. I think Qyzen is as good as it gets for a healer.
The Zenhiker Legacy of The Harbinger

Mehm
01.01.2012 , 12:57 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Gihl View Post
1) No decent Techblades unless you, or someone you know does Armstech crafting!
2) No Orange, moddable Techblades anywhere, whereas ALL other weapon classes are available with Coruscant Commendations!
3) Takes longer than any other companion to actually start attacking a target after giving the 'attack target command!'
4) (As with many other companions), will do nothing if commanded to attack a target through a door or hallway that leads to a different map!
5) Often breaks crowd control even when his AE skill is turned off!
6) Takes too long to get your next companion!

If you are going to drastically change a major gameplay mechanic shortly before release, you better make damn sure you change loot tables and quest rewards to adequately support those changes!

You need to be more forthcoming with what you are working on and what to expect in upcoming patches. You have FAR less classes and skills than any other MMORPG of this calibur in the last 5 years, which means alot less need for class balancing. But since you are forcing players to use this Companion mechanic (with no choice of companions outside what our base class is given), you really need to make sure its damn solid.

-Gihl

P.S. in those guides I've read that include suggestions for what crafting skill to go with, ALL of them recommend NOT taking Armstech.
Totally unequivocally disagree !!!

Dalam
01.01.2012 , 01:21 AM | #9
Ok here goes qyzen is a melee companion tank type why is his weapon and armor aim and endurance when it should be str and end.I know he was ranged at one time but come on time to change his stuff back.I have been putting str gear on him and he is way better but his weapons ate still aim so i cant do anything about that.

Ardwan
01.01.2012 , 02:58 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Dalam View Post
Ok here goes qyzen is a melee companion tank type why is his weapon and armor aim and endurance when it should be str and end.I know he was ranged at one time but come on time to change his stuff back.I have been putting str gear on him and he is way better but his weapons ate still aim so i cant do anything about that.
I really hope they hurry up and bring back the Search function so I can stop answering this question.

There are only two types of Heavy Armor. Jedi Knight armor with str/end and Trooper armor with Aim/End.
The Devs didn't want Fess running around dressed as a Jedi so his primary stat was left as AIM.
If you stack Str instead of Aim you will gimp his abilities as they all rely on Tech, which is only improved by the Aim stat.

As for the OP, while all true on some level, Fess is not the only companion to have these issues, he is not the only companion to use Techblades, and he is perfectly fine for levelling with. Evidenced by the many, many people who have done so.