Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Most FUN class to play (Discussion)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Most FUN class to play (Discussion)

Helig
02.19.2012 , 05:16 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Vales View Post
Project, Turbulence and TK Wave >>>>>> than any of the same old purple lightning you see 24/7 from that class.
Animation-wise, perhaps. But pebble=>wave hybrid spec is kind of boring, and PvPing as full TK is pretty masochistic, in my opinion.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Rotm
02.19.2012 , 05:20 AM | #42
I've played all republic classes to at least 20 when I was picking a main. Most fun are the Vanguard and Sage. The Sage takes a leap forward when you can get 11 in balance and again when you get hit enough to split spec PoM and TK Wave. With the Vanguard I played powetech first which is a lot better with its animations but the mechanics convinced me to switch to the Vanguard to help the republic pop imbalance.

If the Commando had a rifle and a skill with the exact mechanics of project from the Sage I'd be playing one of them.

Shadow, doublestrike, doublestrike, doublestrike, doublestrike. Also force potency as tank spec feels like a 2 minute mage, albiet a weak one that has to stack cooldown and proc to blow half a force bar for a laughable 2k crit bolstered from lvl 21 in the 1-49 wz.

Scoundrel animations completely turned me off the class. Gun slap, blaster shots that sounds like bullets, magic left handed shotgun, no opener till lvl 36, bugged stun animation, the punches also look stupid to me especially so on a size 2 female. Overall it seems to lack a unifying theme like we have with the trooper ACs.

Gunslinger would be my 3rd class. It feels powerful from lvl 10 and it has a nice progression in utility.

The Knight classes both seem to be made of paper and are constantly waiting on ability cooldowns. The Guardian especially so given its inability to use its filler attack, slash in this case, due to resource limitations. Why a melee class of all things has a reverse generating resource I'll never understand. If it were neccesary at all it should be on the gunslinger the long range sustained dps class.

Helig
02.19.2012 , 05:23 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Rotm View Post
<.......>

The Knight classes both seem to be made of paper and are constantly waiting on ability cooldowns. The Guardian especially so given its inability to use its filler attack, strike in this case, due to resource limitations. Why a melee class of all things has a reverse generating resource I'll never understand. If it were neccesary at all it should be on the gunslinger the long range sustained dps class.
That's an interesting idea - I'd actually like to see a ranged class with a "rage" mechanic.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Rotm
02.19.2012 , 05:37 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
That's an interesting idea - I'd actually like to see a ranged class with a "rage" mechanic.
Mixed up strike and slash in my OP, strike is useless.

The Vanguard I play takes a long time to run out of ammo to the point where I hardly use the strike equivalent hammer shot unless its for its ranged utility. I would say that the rough equivalent ability to slash is Ion Pulse which does the same damage and deals elemental.

I don't have a 50 knight but in the 20s at least its far easier to play and much less frustrating having a go to anytime attack that hits hard, has no cooldown, is cheap, and has a little range. I could go on about snares, stuns, kb, kiting, etc making knights hard to enjoy since I primarily pvp when I play, but in brief the resource problems are compounded by being melee. For me it puts them in the bottom spot of enjoyment from a mechanics perspective.

Vales
02.19.2012 , 06:13 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Animation-wise, perhaps. But pebble=>wave hybrid spec is kind of boring, and PvPing as full TK is pretty masochistic, in my opinion.
It is weaker, but not that much. You can still get all the nice CC abilities bar Containment for Force Lift.
You have overall more reliable burst and higher burst which is harder to setup. Casting Disturbance is just as turret mode as casting TK Wave. Only difference is instant FiB compared to Turbulence which gives the hybrid an edge in mobile damage.

That's about it.
This game needs more Kel Dor!

Fentz
02.19.2012 , 08:45 AM | #46
scoundrel/operativ heals + stealth = solo, solo, solo, solo all the content (if you want to)

Fentz
02.19.2012 , 08:48 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Rotm View Post
The Vanguard I play takes a long time to run out of ammo to the point where I hardly use the strike equivalent hammer shot unless its for its ranged utility.
what spec?

vanguard assault has to use hammer shot almost every 2nd cast, unless lucky with HIB procs

wops double post.

Tekell
02.21.2012 , 01:03 PM | #48
I like the BH PT it has a fun play style and good story so far I am only lv 20 though but I enjoy it.

pinkfreudHC
02.21.2012 , 01:48 PM | #49
Sorc, so far.

Tons of control, tons of AOE, bubbles, heals...

A lot of the abilities look awesome, it's incredibly easy to level with, works well in PVP and with dual-spec coming you can play DPS or healer depending on what is needed.

Skuldar
02.21.2012 , 02:01 PM | #50
Just a warning to those playing various classes to 10 or 15 or 20 to decide: you get a somewhat limited view of a class because that early you only have your first companion. This biases some because companion roles can make a big difference in how a class plays. For instance, the BH gets a healer first, enhancing their sense of power early on, and the Sorcerer gets a tank which is also highly complementary. The picture changes later when you get a choice of companions and therefore a choice of how to play your class, even beyond the choices provided by how you allocate skill points.

Another misleading aspect of early level perspective is how your attacks do not scale up very well with mob health. An attack that takes a third off the health of an average on-level trash mob at 15 will be lucky to take a sixth off at 40. This tends to inflate your sense of power early on.

That's getting a bit far from the central topic of fun, but I felt compelled to throw that out there after seeing several talking about playing to relatively low levels to get a feel for the classes. So many aspects, from companions to scaling to some trees being late bloomers can affect how classes feel at various stages.