Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Differences between Jedi Knight and Consular

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Differences between Jedi Knight and Consular

Black_Rabbit
12.31.2011 , 06:32 PM | #1
Hi guys, I am not the biggest Star Wars fan, I yet have to watch the first 3 episodes while I have watched the original episode 4, 5, and 6.

I wanted to ask in relation to the movies, is there a real difference between Jedi types? I though you either are a Jedi or are not, is it ever made clear the difference between knight and consular, or is just for the sake of game mechanics?

Cheers

krisslanza
12.31.2011 , 07:18 PM | #2
The knight is more about lightsaber techniques, where as the Consular is more about using the Force.

Think like Obi-wan is a Knight, Yoda is a Consular.

Black_Rabbit
12.31.2011 , 07:24 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
The knight is more about lightsaber techniques, where as the Consular is more about using the Force.

Think like Obi-wan is a Knight, Yoda is a Consular.
See, I see Obi-wan being consular because of his clothing, while Luke the Knight.

So I guess there is no actual reference in the movie, it is something they did for SWTOR I guess?

AlucardZ
12.31.2011 , 07:27 PM | #4
To the above poster, answer is yes.

Adapterr
12.31.2011 , 07:36 PM | #5
NO. There is not specific type of jedi.
-You are a jedi, then you you are a jedi. There is no title as councilor in the wars lore
-You are a sith, Nothing more except your title.

They said palpatine was a inquisitor but hes the only sith lord in the saga that uses lighting, who else are they going to relate that class to for the people who dont read lore.

Obi-Wan is most definitely not a councilor in my opinion since he rarely uses his force powers in combat.

I remember reading some lore that a few jedi masters found lightsabers barbaric, and would only use the force to defeat foes.
/‾⊥‾⊥‾⊥● █⋮{|▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

bobmcbo
12.31.2011 , 07:38 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Adapterr View Post
-You are a jedi, then you you are a jedi. There is no title as councilor the the wars lore

They said palpatine was a inquisitor but hes the only sith lord in the saga that uses lighting, who else are they going to relate that class to for the people who dont read lore.

Obi-Wan is most definitely not a councilor in my opinion since he rarely uses his force powers in combat.

I remember reading some lore that a few jedi masters found lightsabers barbaric, and would only use the force to defeat foes.
didn't dooku use lightning?
OMG! Imperial ships can get a .00008% power increase! Nerf the empire!

Black_Rabbit
12.31.2011 , 07:38 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Adapterr View Post
-You are a jedi, then you you are a jedi. There is no title as councilor the the wars lore

So in a way a Knight are the more modern versions of Jedi?

I was only assuming that about obiwan because he only wears robes, while Luke wears pretty much anything with pants, even soldier's armour.

Adapterr
12.31.2011 , 07:58 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by bobmcbo View Post
didn't dooku use lightning?
Lol, pwnd me. yah i forgot about that. He was also considered a top duelist in the order, they said he could only be defeated by a select few jedi in a dual, including master yoda and mace windu, it made me so sad to watch anakin just swipe him down.
/‾⊥‾⊥‾⊥● █⋮{|▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

tFiction
12.31.2011 , 08:15 PM | #9
Jedi Knights are more fighters than the Consular. Consular are scholars, and tend to try to solve situations diplomatically, while Jedi Knights would tend to use physical force to solve problems. At least in-game. As far as movies are concerned, I think all Jedi are taught to really use restraint when dealing with intense situations.

Deathforged
12.31.2011 , 08:19 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by tFiction View Post
Jedi Knights are more fighters than the Consular. Consular are scholars, and tend to try to solve situations diplomatically, while Jedi Knights would tend to use physical force to solve problems. At least in-game. As far as movies are concerned, I think all Jedi are taught to really use restraint when dealing with intense situations.
Ya I think they are supposed to tune their emotions out. Would be funny to see Jedi charging into battle frothing at the mouth screaming curses though.