Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Do you want to allow this program to make changes?"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
"Do you want to allow this program to make changes?"

Drasilo
12.13.2011 , 07:31 AM | #1
Okay, so I'm sure it's not a pressing issue like everyone else has, but every time I start up the SWTOR launcher, I get windows trying to tell me HOLY **** HEY THIS PROGRAM IS TRYING TO DO STUFF. I have to hit Yes on a dialog box before I can get the launcher running. It's the same dialog box you get when you try to install stuff? Does anyone know a work around this, or better yet, a way to tell Windows that a AAA MMO made by a reputable company isn't a virus?

NefariousJedi
12.13.2011 , 07:34 AM | #2
I don't trust the UAC in Windows.

I have seen a desktop computer where the UAC was going crazy and was hitting NO each time and then the virus "anti-virus" program installed anyway.

Drasilo
12.13.2011 , 07:37 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by NefariousJedi View Post
I don't trust the UAC in Windows.

I have seen a desktop computer where the UAC was going crazy and was hitting NO each time and then the virus "anti-virus" program installed anyway.
This is very nice. It doesn't help me solve the issue though.

Swuge
12.13.2011 , 07:38 AM | #4
having the same thing occur to me, just a minor inconvenience though
~Let them hate, so long as they fear~
The Gray Order- The Shadowlands

Gazzzenn
12.13.2011 , 07:39 AM | #5
no, thats a core feature of windows vista or 7, part of the user account control.

the game requires admin rights to do certain things so you will always be asked even when logged in as an admin user, the security feature is to prevent unwanted applications on to your machine without you knowing about it.

it allows you the user to decide what can and can't run and should not under any circumstances be disabled, yes there is a work around to disabling it but it requires a bit more knowledge of the windows system to work and the results aren't always pleasent when it comes back to bite you in the ***.

basicly if you do it, do it from an account you will never browse the internet from, disable any form of web browsing as well on that account and just run the game, i won't tell you how to do it as the easiest way is to edit some registry settings, suffice to say it opens up your machine to every form of malicious software, on top of that no security system in the world will help you when it all goes pear shaped.

Drasilo
12.13.2011 , 07:45 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Gazzzenn View Post
no, thats a core feature of windows vista or 7, part of the user account control.

the game requires admin rights to do certain things so you will always be asked even when logged in as an admin user, the security feature is to prevent unwanted applications on to your machine without you knowing about it.

it allows you the user to decide what can and can't run and should not under any circumstances be disabled, yes there is a work around to disabling it but it requires a bit more knowledge of the windows system to work and the results aren't always pleasent when it comes back to bite you in the ***.

basicly if you do it, do it from an account you will never browse the internet from, disable any form of web browsing as well on that account and just run the game, i won't tell you how to do it as the easiest way is to edit some registry settings, suffice to say it opens up your machine to every form of malicious software, on top of that no security system in the world will help you when it all goes pear shaped.
Do you mean to tell me that every player in the Us is getting this issue? I have a hard time believing that.

There has to be some 'Allowed' list other than just DISABLE EVERYTHING.

Gazzzenn
12.13.2011 , 08:28 AM | #7
it's not an issue.....windows user account control does it by default.

it's not every user in the US it's every owner of windows vista/7 in the entire world.

your thinking there is something wrong when their isn't.

Drasilo
12.13.2011 , 08:57 AM | #8
Double post with refresh. >.>

Sorry, I said US when that wasn't what I meant. My bad.

Every windows user gets this? Nobody's figured out a workaround?

I don't think there's something wrong. If there was, I wouldn't be able to get into the two weekend betas I participated, I THINK that it's annoying I have to hit 'Yes' every time I open up the Patcher.

Katchii
12.13.2011 , 09:06 AM | #9
I get the same pop up on my Windows Vista PC. It's just annoying, but it takes like 2 seconds to get rid of it and have the launcher pop up.

There isn't a default way to disable this feature without completely disabling the UAC using registry edits or other such "extreme" measures, which is a bad idea because it leaves your computer vulnerable to ever malicious software on the web.

Everyone with Vista and 7 is going through this (if they have their UAC enabled, which they should) it's an annoyance, and a minor one, considering the alternative.

Lanfo
12.13.2011 , 09:14 AM | #10
the same thing happens to me too... i have windows 7. this is a small issue no need going around tweaking and possibly messing ur system.