Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Aim/Cunning And Snipers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Aim/Cunning And Snipers

Mackuss
12.13.2011 , 07:31 PM | #1
So absolutely everything I got over the Thanksgiving weekend had frickin cunning on it, and not Aim. It was so beyond annoying.

Why do you ask?

Because I actually did the math - I crafted a weapon with 10 Cunning on it and found another weapon with 10 Aim on it. Both had exact same base weapon damage, and both had exact same tech power. Between changing back and forth of the two, I found a couple of very interesting things:

1. I benefited almost triple from Aim to my ranged critical chance.
2. I benefited double from Aim to my ranged damage bonus.

Not to mention, it says in the UI itself, "Aim increases your aptitude with ranged weapons".

So the math doesn't lie, and the logic makes sense - you're using ranged weapons, Aim would help you.

I'm trying to correlate this to WoW, but seeing how this game is so awesome, it's hard. I will try nonetheless for people who are unknowing of exactly what I'm talking about but played WoW:

Remember how in WoW as a rogue Agility gave you more attack power than strength did? I don't remember/care about the real number, but let's just say for every one point of Agility you got 2.5 points of attack power. Well think of Cunning as Agility for Imperial Agents, and then there's Aim. Aim is like a super Agility for us because of our choice of weapon - ranged weapons. It's like if WoW had Agility for hunters, but then a second skill that affected your damage even further and better for the mere fact you were a hunter using ranged weapons.

So my question is this: is there some big reason why they deny Snipers of so much Aim? Is the reason because we would be pretty over powered if we got nothing but Aim gear?

P.S. Maybe you get more later on but it's still not fair I got to level 19 with 10 Aim added from all my gear combined.

Now that the game's "out" can someone try this for me at later levels?
while(horse.State == dead)
{
horse.beat();
}

TacoStorm
12.13.2011 , 07:40 PM | #2
No IA gear will have Aim because Cunning is the main stat. It gives tech damage, shot damage, and crit i believe. If you saw Aim contributing more it was only to specific shots and may have been level/stat number dependent. If you are continuing to see Aim being better than I'm sure its a miscalculation that will be soon fixed.

On a more game breaker/cynic note, if anyone wants to try that out i'm really curious to see. But then i already played an enh shaman who had to swap from strength for agi one xpac, then used spell power weapons the next...

Btw any ops want to see how strength helps shivs?

Tegs
12.13.2011 , 07:49 PM | #3
All the knife attacks are classified as tech. So that means strength doesn't have an effect, I believe.

mynameisharry
12.13.2011 , 07:56 PM | #4
Official statements say agents use cunning.
Before you go all out collecting Aim mods and gear I would double check your aim over cunning math in game, from what I have seen in game during the recent open betas cunning is the main stat aim only adds a small amount to agents, bounty hunters however use aim as there main stat. I don't mean to sound rude but did you do the test on a BH?

Daross
12.13.2011 , 08:18 PM | #5
AIM - increase ranged damage FOR ALL
+some bonus stuff for Trooper/BG

CUNNING - increase potency of abilities for all non-jedi (BH&Trooper too)
+increase ranged damage for Smuggler/IA.

AIM = CUNNING in terms of ranged damage for IA/Smuggler
But AIM gives you NOTHING to complex abilities like healing, grenades.. not sure about 'power shots".

I dont have early access, so cant check stuff exacly.. But dont look at tooltips since there is just "general" info, without class specific buffs.

Mackuss
12.13.2011 , 08:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by mynameisharry View Post
Official statements say agents use cunning.
Before you go all out collecting Aim mods and gear I would double check your aim over cunning math in game, from what I have seen in game during the recent open betas cunning is the main stat aim only adds a small amount to agents, bounty hunters however use aim as there main stat. I don't mean to sound rude but did you do the test on a BH?
Yeah last I heard (had posted this thread before the wipe), and someone said they actually tried it in the last weekend test and that it was actually happening still.

Quote: Originally Posted by Daross View Post
AIM - increase ranged damage FOR ALL
+some bonus stuff for Trooper/BG

CUNNING - increase potency of abilities for all non-jedi (BH&Trooper too)
+increase ranged damage for Smuggler/IA.

AIM = CUNNING in terms of ranged damage for IA/Smuggler
But AIM gives you NOTHING to complex abilities like healing, grenades.. not sure about 'power shots".

I dont have early access, so cant check stuff exacly.. But dont look at tooltips since there is just "general" info, without class specific buffs.
I understand all that - which is why it was so surprising to me.

However, as soon as I get in I am planning to be an Armormech while my girlfriend will be Cybertech. I am planning (JUST FOR EXPERIMENTAL PURPOSES) to make two complete sets of nothing but moddable armor and have her make 2 entire collections of +Aim and +Cunning mods - and will experiment in game.

I will post my results in this thread.
while(horse.State == dead)
{
horse.beat();
}

_Nyth
12.13.2011 , 09:07 PM | #7
Please do post some results. Because it seems highly unlikely; especially since this has long been checked and stuff in beta.

So unless you got some solid proof that Aim indeed does increase ranged more than Cunning; ill be stacking the latter.
CE Holder

spyk
12.13.2011 , 10:00 PM | #8
Cunning improves shooting damage and tech damage. Shooting damage is in white while the tech damage is in yellow, which includes gernade attacks.

Quick question. Does increasing your Cunning also increase your DOT damage?

TacoStorm
12.13.2011 , 10:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mackuss View Post

However, as soon as I get in I am planning to be an Armormech while my girlfriend will be Cybertech. I am planning (JUST FOR EXPERIMENTAL PURPOSES) to make two complete sets of nothing but moddable armor and have her make 2 entire collections of +Aim and +Cunning mods - and will experiment in game.

I will post my results in this thread.
That would be great to find out for sure. I hope Aim is not better but would really like to know ASAP if anyone does this.

Wynn
12.14.2011 , 01:43 AM | #10
Mouse over aim and then cunning you want cunning over aim always and there are also better secondary stats over aim.

This has come up every build in closed beta I've seen it come up over and over you do not want aim.

Every base class has 1 main stat
Crazy old dyslexic Healer that loves cakecheese
Operative: Wynn, Mercenary: Fenrich, Sorcerer: Nall
Also old Droid Engineer from Starsider