Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

daemian
12.17.2011 , 02:46 PM | #21
@ oMGitsree, most 2008 or newer Macs will be able to play the game, but if you have an integrated card you will most likely have to stick to low settings. Also at least 4 GB of RAM is recommended based on the reports I've seen. In the old thread (90+ pages) we had lots of people posting their results... apart from the usual driver issues, most people were getting really decent performance once they found the best settings for their GPU.

A Mac Pro will certainly have no trouble at all with the game, though. I'm on a 2008 MP, it rocks.

@ Ghosthawks, as I (and others) have said it's most likely a driver issue. If you can post your machine's specs we might be able to help you further. We'll need more info than where you bought it - CPU, GPU, RAM, year and model would be great.

Ghosthawks
12.17.2011 , 02:47 PM | #22
if im in mac mode sound is fine when i switch two windows no sound on comp at all and its says no recorded driver and next two dcirrus sound file yellow exclamation point

daemian
12.17.2011 , 02:49 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghosthawks View Post
if im in mac mode sound is fine when i switch two windows no sound on comp at all and its says no recorded driver and next two dcirrus sound file yellow exclamation point
Have you tried burning a disk with the Boot Camp drivers?

Kandel
12.17.2011 , 02:52 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by daemian View Post
@ oMGitsree, most 2008 or newer Macs will be able to play the game, but if you have an integrated card you will most likely have to stick to low settings. Also at least 4 GB of RAM is recommended based on the reports I've seen. In the old thread (90+ pages) we had lots of people posting their results... apart from the usual driver issues, most people were getting really decent performance once they found the best settings for their GPU.

A Mac Pro will certainly have no trouble at all with the game, though. I'm on a 2008 MP, it rocks.

@ ghosthawks, as I (and others) have said it's most likely a driver issue. If you can post your machine's specs we might be able to help you further. We'll need more info than where you bought it - CPU, GPU, RAM, year and model would be great.
I am running on an early 2008 mp as well. I am having a difficult time getting my fps to a good place. Would you mind sharing your nvidea settings? I have tampered with them and it is better than it was but still very difficult to play, fps ranging from 20 standing still to 5-10 running around.

daemian
12.17.2011 , 03:00 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kandel View Post
I am running on an early 2008 mp as well. I am having a difficult time getting my fps to a good place. Would you mind sharing your nvidea settings? I have tampered with them and it is better than it was but still very difficult to play, fps ranging from 20 standing still to 5-10 running around.
I haven't tried playing TOR with the stock 8800 GT. I use an HD6970 (2GB) when I'm in Windows, so I can't tell you what the settings would be right now for Nvidia. If I get a chance I'll boot up the game with the 8800 and see what kind of performance I'm getting.

If you haven't done this already, I would make sure you're not forcing AA or AF and keep all enhancements off in Nvidia control panel. Also check to see if you have the latest driver (a generic driver may give you better performance in Windows than the Apple version). Set everything to medium, reduce shadows, bloom and draw distance in TOR and see if that shows any improvement.

Ghosthawks
12.17.2011 , 03:26 PM | #26
how do u burn the disk with bootcamp drivers

daemian
12.17.2011 , 03:36 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghosthawks View Post
how do u burn the disk with bootcamp drivers
Here's a link to the Boot Camp guide for OS X 10.6 (it's also listed in the 'useful links' section of the OP):
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...Setup_10.6.pdf

Starting on page 11, follow the instructions for installing drivers. You don't need to burn a separate disk for the drivers, but some people find this makes it simpler.

Once you have the sound driver installed and working, take a look at the section on 'updating drivers'.

Apple has released Boot Camp 3.3 fairly recently, so software update should ask you to upgrade to that version. Just be aware I've read some people are having issues with keyboard shortcuts not working under 3.3.

If you eventually upgrade to Lion, then follow the instructions in the OP for Boot Camp 4.0.

quantumsheep
12.17.2011 , 08:36 PM | #28
Hello!

In case no-one's mentioned it, I've found this runs just fine on the latest MacBookPro 2011 15" Base Model under 32bit Windows 7.

All graphics settings on high, no problems.

Yay!

QS

DevilsAeon
12.18.2011 , 02:05 AM | #29
Can anyone give me some advice? My Windows 7 is crashing non stop, and isn't repairing itself when I try to download or run SWTOR.

I'm running:
Late 2007, imac 2.4 ghz core 2 duo (7,1)
4 gigs of ram
ATI hd2600 vid card with 256mb

I'm running bootcamp 3.3 with Windows 7 at 32 bit setting. It shows the ram as running at 2.98 in Bootcamp on the Windows side.

I'm frustrated and discouraged after waiting 2 years for this game. Here's the scoop: I used the snow leopard disc to install Bootcamp and the drivers after making a 100gig partition. I also fully updated Windows 7. Everything runs very smoothly, until I tried to download SWTOR for the pre-release. The first time I did, it crashed 4 times while installing, but I was able to get the game running. After an hour I had a horrible crash-- the screen had squiggly colorful lines on it and everything stopped. Windows was unable to repair from safe mode or the install disc, and unable to restore to an earlier point! After hours of re-installing everything, I had the same issue again-- after downloading and running the game, same crash. I WAS able to do a system restore and try playing again, but the game crashed several more times as I tried to play.

I decided to do a complete wipe of the partition with Bootcamp. I erased the partition with 0's, restored the partition on the mac side, and then REMADE the partition a second time. I again installed windows 7 and the snow leopard drivers. I updated everything. This time, I was unable to even get the game to fully download. It won't finish installation, it halts at 78% and crashes. At times while installing, I get a screen freeze and an alert that says my windows essentials security has turned off, and my system crashes and takes a long time to repair/restore. The Geek Squad guys at Best Buy suggested turning off security for the install, thinking perhaps that there was a conflict. This didn't help get the game installed. I can't get the download to finish insalling. To make matters WORSE, I actually received my hard copy of the game in the mail today from Amazon.com, but I can't get the discs to load past the second disc. It crashes every time an hour into the install.

Guys, I really want this game to work. Does anyone have any advice for me? I've never experienced so many crashes. I just bought a backup hard drive to make a system image so I don't have to restart this again. I don't understand how I don't have enough power to run this game on low graphics, or even to finish a complete install of the game. I've ordered two ramjet sticks (a 4 gig and 2 gig) specifically designed for my computer, which at the (7,1) version can evidently run 6 gigs of ram. My reason for purchasing new ram is that I fear my kingston ram from 4 years ago may be a problem. Can anyone please help me figure out why the online download AND the disc won't finish a complete install?

Thank you.

Hotaruchan
12.18.2011 , 02:07 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by quantumsheep View Post
Hello!

In case no-one's mentioned it, I've found this runs just fine on the latest MacBookPro 2011 15" Base Model under 32bit Windows 7.

All graphics settings on high, no problems.

Yay!

QS
Can you post your driver settings and your in game settings?

I'm running on a 64 bit Windows 7 and I'm at around 30-40 FPS with all graphics on LOW