Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

catabuca
12.14.2011 , 10:14 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Hotaruchan View Post
You mind looking at your Catalyst drivers + in game setting and taking a screenshot and posting it here? I'm not sure what's wrong, my Macbook Pro should be the same as yours.

Thanks, I'll try those too.
As I said in my first post, I'm new to bootcamp, and I haven't done anything at all to my drivers, I haven't even downloaded or installed CCC (although I'm looking into it). Everything is as it was out of the box. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know, but I've had no issues so far.

I'm not currently in game, haven't got access again yet, so I can't post screenshots of my in-game settings either, but when I get in I'll make sure to come back with my settings.

daemian
12.15.2011 , 05:49 AM | #12
For anyone installing Windows on a 2009 iMac, there are some specific issues you should be aware of:

Firmware update:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3561

Fix for black screen issue when installing Windows with Boot Camp:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Ghosthawks
12.17.2011 , 01:08 PM | #13
can anyone help me with sound issue i can't hear any sound on my comp in windows mode i have tried abunch of things to fix no luck so far? im using vista and leopard

thekrazo
12.17.2011 , 01:25 PM | #14
I had been running SWTOR on my 2010 macbook pro (quad core i7 2.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, Geforce 330M video card) inside of windows 7 64 bit.

It ran pretty well in beta but was pretty terrible in the live client. Some areas, I got 60 FPS on medium at 1440. Some areas I got 20 FPS on low at 1280. I couldn't find any series of settings to make it solid.

The game breaking part was that I got 3-5 second freezes every minute or so. They were pervasive. They even happened on character creation (though not on the queue screen.) The longer I played or the worse the environment, the more frequent they were.

PvE questing was manageable though frustrating. PvP was impossible. I'm playing a scoundrel so I would be on somebody, lock up, now they're out of range. Lag was really bad too. I'd have someone stunned, be right on top of them and it would say out of range.

These problems may have been isolated to my computer. I used it for work, so my bootcamp install was also my vmware image when I'm in mac os x. Maybe there's some incompatibility.

However, I ran 3Dmark and got above average scores for my hardware and didn't notice any stuttering or freezing during its progress. Also, I never had the problem in beta. So, it seemed to either have been introduced after beta or by some software that i installed during that time.

Has anyone else had similar issues on a macbook pro running windows 7 both in bootcamp and vmware fusion?

I decided I needed a personal (non-work) laptop capable of gaming and picked one up, so hopefully once I get this installed, it's not a problem for me any more, but maybe I'll help someone with the same issues avoid the hours of debugging (and subsequent queue time) that I went through.

daemian
12.17.2011 , 01:37 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghosthawks View Post
can anyone help me with sound issue i can't hear any sound on my comp in windows mode i have tried abunch of things to fix no luck so far? im using vista and leopard
Can you post the specs of your Mac? That might help with troubleshooting.

daemian
12.17.2011 , 01:53 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by thekrazo View Post
I had been running SWTOR on my 2010 macbook pro (quad core i7 2.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, Geforce 330M video card) inside of windows 7 64 bit.

It ran pretty well in beta but was pretty terrible in the live client. Some areas, I got 60 FPS on medium at 1440. Some areas I got 20 FPS on low at 1280. I couldn't find any series of settings to make it solid.

The game breaking part was that I got 3-5 second freezes every minute or so. They were pervasive. They even happened on character creation (though not on the queue screen.) The longer I played or the worse the environment, the more frequent they were.
I'd expect you'd have to keep the settings fairly low to get steady performance with that GPU. I had a similar issue with my FPS dropping in the latest build, then I discovered I had some things set too high in Catalyst Control Centre that were seriously impacting performance. Dropping AA from 8x to 4x gave me a huge boost.

You may want to check your settings in the Nvidia control panel and tweak things like shadows and view distance to get back to a stable FPS. If it was working in beta and nothing else has changed it's probably just one of these settings.

Ghosthawks
12.17.2011 , 02:02 PM | #17
I have the imac from best buy bought it in january everything runs fine accept sound im getting an error message from audio file the cirrus one its a yellow exclamtion point

oMGitsree
12.17.2011 , 02:19 PM | #18
I think the real problem is that on a MACBOOK it recognizes HALF of your processing power on Bootcamp.

Both my Brother and my husband have mac laptops and they aren't really able to play. The processing power is just too limited.

I have A Mac Pro and I have no problems... BUT I have an 8 CORE machine with 22 gigs of RAM (I do heavy 3d modeling so the RAM is for rendering). I also dedicated one of my 4 HDs just to Bootcamp. The PC side has a dedicated HD and that helps out a lot.

I think in order to really play this game on a mac, you need a really powerful mac to do so.

My other suggestion would be making sure everything is up to speed update wise. I had a lot of updates to do.

VaneshiSnowCrash
12.17.2011 , 02:39 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghosthawks View Post
Make sure you let BootCamp burn the disk with the drivers on it. Beyond that poke around in device manager (in Windows via Control Panel) see if anything is 'unknown' or marked as not working.

If the drivers are in... you might need to turn up the volume (assuming Vista has 7's version of PulseAudio/CoreAudio and individual volume controls per app).

If normal sound is working and TOR's sound isn't hmm... not sure but I'd raise it with EA/Bioware support. as you are running Windows and should be under support.

VaneshiSnowCrash
12.17.2011 , 02:44 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by oMGitsree View Post
I think the real problem is that on a MACBOOK it recognizes HALF of your processing power on Bootcamp.
MacBook Pro's don't suffer from this however. It's very odd that BootCamp'd it'd not pick up on the proper processor/cores as it is, essentialy at that point, a WinTel box (complete with BIOS as far as Windows is aware). Are you sure Windows isn't displaying a combined graph for all cores in Task Manager?

XP sees 2 cores, 7 sees 2 cores, Vbox sees 2 cores and so on and so forth; which is correct as being a 2009 vintage MBP it's got a Core 2 Duo.

Curiously though I get double the RAM assigned to the 9400M in Windows than OS X allocates (512v256).