Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shadow: A good tank or no?

Rashne
01.01.2012 , 02:23 PM | #11
Shadow tanks are fantastic.

1. Great self heals, especially after you get Harnessed Shadows. Make sure you have Kinetic Ward up before you use it.

2. AoE threat is a bit troublesome until you get Whirling Blow and Slow Time, as Force Breach has such a long cooldown. But once you do, its easy peazy. As long as the people in group don't vastly outlevel you, you should be ok. You also have mass mind control for those oh **** moments.

3. Stealth in, Mind Maze, stealth out, Force Pull. Great way to handle packs.

As an aside, you should be using all the CC available in your group. If you're having problems with a pack, or a boss, and you know your gear and level are appropriate, you're doing something wrong.

Someone mentioned the last boss in Taral V. Make sure you use console before the fight to kill two of the four turrets. And make sure the dps burns the droids most asaply. And finally, interrupt everything he has. The deadlest thing is that Hail of Bolts, that just wipes people out.

Rashne
01.01.2012 , 02:24 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Soulbliz View Post
I just finished story line and hit level 50 shadow balance.

Shadow is not a tank. We wear light armor and can not take heavy damage from heroic 2 or 4 boss or flash point's boss. However, we can be off tank. While main tank is at main boss, we shadow tank adds or secondary boss. Shadow is dps class. I prefer you re-spec to infiltration or balance to get full damage for pve. I think def spec is for hybrid build for pvp. You will not get full potential power until you hit level 42.

We are the only class can pass all the mobs and go straight through to final boss. They don't know who's coming and assassinate the boss. We are a shadow like ninja.

My main companion is Theran Cedrex. He will heal you good. One more thing his hologram holiday is a big help. She will distract other mob with her sexy dance :P.

p.s When you heard "help" from him, don't forget to save him :P.
Balance and infl are not tanks, no. But kinetic combat is. And its a very good spec.

Soulbliz
01.01.2012 , 02:29 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Rashne View Post
Balance and infl are not tanks, no. But kinetic combat is. And its a very good spec.
I said we are off tank. We take care of adds. Kinetic combat can not take out main flash point or operation boss. It's very useful in pvp.

Rashne
01.01.2012 , 02:33 PM | #14
I said we are off tank. We take care of adds. Kinetic combat can not take out main flash point or operation boss. It's very useful in pvp.
Then you're mistaken my friend. Whomever told you kinetic combat can't "main tank" is wrong. And btw, "main tank" and "off tank" were obsolete terms a few years ago. Get that nomenclature out of your head.

Soulbliz
01.01.2012 , 02:42 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Rashne View Post
Then you're mistaken my friend. Whomever told you kinetic combat can't "main tank" is wrong. And btw, "main tank" and "off tank" were obsolete terms a few years ago. Get that nomenclature out of your head.
If you have proof that shadow class tank main operation boss, I will take back what I said.
Have you ever tank level 50 flash points or operation boss?

Kitru
01.01.2012 , 03:05 PM | #16
Yo. Tanked Hardmode and level 50 FPs with no problem.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Nastar
01.01.2012 , 05:11 PM | #17
Haven't done any FP's lately because there's not so many people in the 40's yet and i don't wanna screw up on my first run in a Flashpoint.

But in solo PvE i've come out of most battles with 90%+ of my health remaining when i have Theran Cedrax with me (elites also)
All hail .

Arbegla
01.01.2012 , 05:34 PM | #18
From a pure numbers standpoint, the other tanks have literally 2 - 3% more base 'kinetic/energy' damage resistance, and we have about 5-9% more internal/elemental damage resistance. We have have 5% higher defense (dodge/parry chance if you will) then other tanks, and we have the highest shield chance out of any of the other tanks (when we have kinetic ward active)

We also have a 10% heal on a 2 minute timer (that also increases our self healing by 300%) we have a 12% heal every 3rd time we cast project (via TK Thrust) and our tank stance gives us about .25% healing every GCD (or there abouts) We're basically a class designed to main tank, like the rest, but we do it much differently then the other tanks. We either flat out dodge/parry attacks, or shield them, and the attacks that do get through are quickly self healed back up via our various self healing powers and talents.

A healer should have a much easier time keeping a Shadow time up then any other tank, due to the fact that the shadow tank can self heal for so much so often (the TK Thrust proc happens about every 30 seconds on average and it could happen even sooner then that, allowing for some very nice healing numbers while tanking)

dronepilot
01.01.2012 , 06:44 PM | #19
I'm a level 36 Shadow, I respecced my advanced skills, from kinetic to balance. I find at the moment balance works better for me. I tried Kinectic at lower levels, I do still have the bottom tier of kinetic fully upgraded maxed out, while the rest of the points are now on balance. I can still make it to the top of the skill tree on balance too.

Bangard
01.01.2012 , 08:39 PM | #20
Allow me to quote a paragraph from the FAQ section of "The Jedi Shadow's Handbook" - Located at the top of the Jedi Shadow page.

Quote:
Q: Is the Jedi Shadow a main tank or an off-tank?
A: The Jedi Shadow is a main tank; it can off-tank, but there are no skill specializations devoted towards becoming an off-tank among any class. Fully developed, it has roughly the same standard survivability as a Jedi Guardian or Vanguard who was specialized to tank. The only guild in the general beta to test endgame operations used a Jedi Shadow main tank, however, and are quite happy with the Jedi Shadow's performance there.
Now, to follow up: You also replied with:

Quote:
If you have proof that shadow class tank main operation boss, I will take back what I said.
^Now take it back! *Smirks*