Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Obi-Wan .VS. Anakin


BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
12.31.2011 , 02:46 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Gordknight View Post
Bottom line:

Because George Lucas wrote the script.

Since when did he do anything that even resembles a rational human thought let alone an engaging plot line.

Did you know he originally wanted to make the second indiana jones movie take place in a haunted house until speilberg told him it was a dumb as **** idea? Not trolling... look it up.
There was no point, at all in this post.


Read the ROTS novelization, Anakin came moments before killing Obi until Obi jumped and got the high-ground.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Lokiliesmith's Avatar


Lokiliesmith
12.31.2011 , 03:08 PM | #12
It takes more than just raw skill to beat someone or to save their life. Specifically Anakin, while superior against other foes, is inferior against Obi-wan because Obi-wan is the one who taught him.

He has fought Anakin every day for a decade. It's reasonable to assume he taught him how to wield a lightsaber in the first place. Anakin can be an extremely accomplished duelist, but if he has a couple of glaring weaknesses in his form/stance that Obi-wan can continually exploit, lessons he just hasn't learned yet, etc? That's a win for the more experienced fighter every time. Douku/etc. don't know the weaknesses the same way Obi-wan would.

LordMerrick's Avatar


LordMerrick
12.31.2011 , 03:32 PM | #13
Lot of good answers in here......I hope this thread sparks more talk bcuz its a very interesting subject for me.


and wolfninjajedi I really hope you change your mind and decide to post you thoughts on the mustafar battle. So what if there are differing viewpoints, that just makes it more interesting.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
12.31.2011 , 03:37 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMerrick View Post
Lot of good answers in here......I hope this thread sparks more talk bcuz its a very interesting subject for me.


and wolfninjajedi I really hope you change your mind and decide to post you thoughts on the mustafar battle. So what if there are differing viewpoints, that just makes it more interesting.
I'd rather not, because then someone will say "no such and such this happened" then another guy will say "no this is what actually happened" but then someone else will come along and say. "No this happened here, then it went in reverse and then it jumped up to here but it went in a completely different direction before stopping at a point and then going into another direction."
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

DarkMorlin's Avatar


DarkMorlin
12.31.2011 , 05:34 PM | #15
Anakin had more raw power than Obi-wan, no one disputes that. Still, it should be remembered that Obi-wan taught Anakin almost everything he knew. Obi-wan knew Anakin better than he knew himself, he could anticipate Anakin's decisions before he made them. Most importantly don't forget Anakin has been idolizing Obi-wan and calling him master for what 10, 15 years? "He (Obi-wan) is as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu". That is a huge, almost insurmountable psychological disadvantage.

Most importantly, Anakin was in conflict, caught between the light and dark. Obi-wan was at peace, and the force was with him.

Jake_the_Snake's Avatar


Jake_the_Snake
12.31.2011 , 05:52 PM | #16
Its more to me in the tactics obi wan mastured soresu and ataru which was perfect for fighting maul and when anakin fell to the dark side it is said that he though he was now all powerfull and when his battle with obi wan started to drag out for a long time (which is good for obi wans style) anakin started getting mad and didnt understand why he wasnt winning causing him to do stupid things like get cut up.

LordMerrick's Avatar


LordMerrick
12.31.2011 , 06:24 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkMorlin View Post
Anakin had more raw power than Obi-wan, no one disputes that. Still, it should be remembered that Obi-wan taught Anakin almost everything he knew. Obi-wan knew Anakin better than he knew himself, he could anticipate Anakin's decisions before he made them. Most importantly don't forget Anakin has been idolizing Obi-wan and calling him master for what 10, 15 years? "He (Obi-wan) is as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu". That is a huge, almost insurmountable psychological disadvantage.

Most importantly, Anakin was in conflict, caught between the light and dark. Obi-wan was at peace, and the force was with him.

you make some great points, and very insightful assessment of anakin's state of mind although I don't know if i would say that obi-wan was at peace. He too, was facing the prospect of killing his best friend and brother. "Send me to fight the chancellor. I will not fight anakin. I cannot kill him"

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
12.31.2011 , 06:31 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkMorlin View Post
Anakin had more raw power than Obi-wan, no one disputes that. Still, it should be remembered that Obi-wan taught Anakin almost everything he knew. Obi-wan knew Anakin better than he knew himself, he could anticipate Anakin's decisions before he made them. Most importantly don't forget Anakin has been idolizing Obi-wan and calling him master for what 10, 15 years? "He (Obi-wan) is as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu". That is a huge, almost insurmountable psychological disadvantage.

Most importantly, Anakin was in conflict, caught between the light and dark. Obi-wan was at peace, and the force was with him.

No, Anakin was not conflicted until the end of the fight when Obi-Wan began to talk to him. Anakin was in a rage mode, highly unstoppable force. And Obi-Wan couldn't switch to the offense because of Anakin being too Quick ObI could barely keep up.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

IsolatedPurity's Avatar


IsolatedPurity
12.31.2011 , 06:38 PM | #19
Skill vs Raw Talent.

A more skilled fighter will win against a stronger opponent that has less skill.
"You will be the man your grandfather couldn't."
―Lumiya to Jacen Solo
Quote: Originally Posted by WillMaddock View Post
P.S What would we even do with an extra kidney? Besides make yet another Frankenstein monster that is?

ObiWanBaikonur's Avatar


ObiWanBaikonur
12.31.2011 , 08:37 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake View Post
Its more to me in the tactics obi wan mastured soresu and ataru which was perfect for fighting maul and when anakin fell to the dark side it is said that he though he was now all powerfull and when his battle with obi wan started to drag out for a long time (which is good for obi wans style) anakin started getting mad and didnt understand why he wasnt winning causing him to do stupid things like get cut up.
Excellent point here, about Anakin's arrogance and then lack of instant victory leading him into a more blind rage while Obi-Wan, conflicted and upset though he may have been remained much more calm, cool, and collected throughout the fight.

Also, the other quote from above, "Obi-Wan knew Anakin better than Anakin knew himself." I think these two factors really tip the balance in Obi-Wan's favor.