Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Guardians, robes or armor?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight
Jedi Guardians, robes or armor?

Snugh
12.31.2011 , 09:43 AM | #1
Robes, do Jedi Guardian's ever get them? To be honest I know while shameful, it is the deciding factor in my advanced class of choosing.

The character creation screen shows what appears to be a Guardian in heavy-looking armor, but with a Jedi robe over it. Does the Guardian's armor normally look like this? Armor with a robe?

I'm sure some people (Maurader's) are very sick of having to wear extremely ugly and silly looking robot armor on what is SUPPOSED to be a force user, and I'm worried that the Guardian is the same, considering they are heavy armor users.

Playstyle wise I'd really rather go Guardian, but I refuse to play a class that looks like a Robot Jedi, that ruins the entire RP experience for me, especially if I'll stick with the character and have to look at them for 300+ hours.

TL;DR: Can Jedi Guardians wear robes (Robe over armor look)? Thanks.

wadecounty
12.31.2011 , 09:53 AM | #2
The vast majority of Guardian armor is a reskin of 1 of 2 models, the regular robes or the robes with armor underneath (like in character creator). Many orange versions of both kinds as well.

So if you wanted robes, they did a great job I think. Although I hear the PvP set sucks.

Unfortunately, all Jedi robes have the hood permanently stuck in the up position, so you will never see your character's hair again. There are several long threads on this board about this issue, Stephen Reid has mentioned a hood toggle is complicated so we're hoping they'll at least throw in some hood down variations as alternatives.

Snugh
12.31.2011 , 09:55 AM | #3
Ah, I see. That's great news. Sad about the hair, though, is it at least somewhat visible underneath the hood?

Or has Bioware implemented the god awful "Your character turns bald when putting on a hat" issue? So many games do this.

If I can still somewhat see the hair, I wouldn't really have a problem with my hood being forever up.

wadecounty
12.31.2011 , 10:00 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Snugh View Post
Ah, I see. That's great news. Sad about the hair, though, is it at least somewhat visible underneath the hood?

Or has Bioware implemented the god awful "Your character turns bald when putting on a hat" issue? So many games do this.

If I can still somewhat see the hair, I wouldn't really have a problem with my hood being forever up.
Absolutely no hair.

Snugh
12.31.2011 , 10:02 AM | #5
And the hoods are part of the body piece? Meaning, they can't be turned on/off like a helm?

Do Sentinels suffer this same problem with hoods?

XaeVinci
12.31.2011 , 10:10 AM | #6
I'm betting it was a big **** up them forgetting to put robes in with no hoods/hoods down.
My Ally is the Force, and a powerful Ally, It is.

wadecounty
12.31.2011 , 10:18 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Snugh View Post
And the hoods are part of the body piece? Meaning, they can't be turned on/off like a helm?

Do Sentinels suffer this same problem with hoods?
Yes and yes.

Which is why there are 2 huge threads on this forum right now complaining about the issue. Stephen Reid actually posted a response on this a couple of days ago.

Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
I pass on the information I have, and I'm told it's a considerable task for the art team. I don't give out 'hogwash' as a general rule.

That said, I'll pass on these suggestions to those responsible and see what I get back. Studio's a little light on bodies this week but I will try my best to get some info.
So hopefully he comes through for us and convinces the devs to at least add hood down versions for now.

Snugh
12.31.2011 , 10:18 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by XaeVinci View Post
I'm betting it was a big **** up them forgetting to put robes in with no hoods/hoods down.
While I don't think this is a deal breaker for me, this is extremely saddening news.

It really does make you think what Bioware was thinking...I honestly wouldn't even have a problem with it if it didn't make your character BALD. Is it really so hard to show hair underneath a hat?

Andronicos
12.31.2011 , 11:51 AM | #9
As mentioned already you can get Robes in the game as a guardian that you can keep the whole way, unfortunately though the robe models in the game are really lacking, more like Halloween costumes than movie-like Jedi robes, they even have short sleeves

I would recommend going for some light looking Trooper armor as it makes the Guardian look more in tone with the Clone Wars TV series, not ideal but second best thing after the disappointment the robes are
Darth Vaelren - Dark Lord of the Sith
Captain Galryn Zaris - Just a man making his way on the galaxy
Agent Keldran Reus - "Corellian ale, shaken not stirred"

JohnRoy
12.31.2011 , 12:45 PM | #10
There are classic Jedi robe looks in the game. The Peacekeeper's Chestguard and the ones that look like it re-colored are probably close to what you are looking for.

However, the hoods are stuck in the up position and make your character bald.

But there is a big outcry on this forum to get them changed and I think the Devs will soon come to their senses and give us hood down robes as well.
Watch my recent Conan appearance here:

http://thecomicscomic.com/2012/02/07...-people-songs/