Scheduled Maintenance: January 4th, 2012

Wintersunset

again during the day time. i work at night shifts..yes i know about EULA but everything is not about what's written on papers. companies should care more about their customers imo. loosing 4 days a month is not cool. ofc can survive without it but just wanted to mention it's something makes me uncomfortable. i mean bioware not caring what happened last week tuesday at these forums..

At this point i want a 4-day refound at the end of the month since i cannot play those four days of maintenance. I don't care you say it's off peak hours for europeans it isn't true since it's in the middle of the blasting day.

You agreed to the downtime when you signed the user agreement.

You should have said no if you weren't okay with it.

It's a matter of annoy 'few' over 'many' I suspect.

No company places downtime where it annoys the 'many'.

That brings little support to the statement: 'they do not care about customers'

Edited by xandax

I think they really took a good time slot for all players, even us europeans. Sure it affects you if you play during the night(US) or morning(EU), but seriously how many people play during those times anyway?

My EU server has about 20-30 people online at the fleet during the morning in EU. The same applies for the US server during the same time(which is night for you guys). Normally theres well over 100 at other times.

Edited by hulduet

How about European customers, huh? Even those that live in Russia perhaps? This maintance is from 12 to 8 pm, WHOLE DAY and it is holiday season in Russia, and even in Europe maintance will take place from 10 am to 6 pm CET. To be honest I am fed up with poor customer support Bioware has offered recently, and already regret buying the game.

And once more Europe is punished with a daytime maintenance. In my zone this BS is between 10:00 and 18:00, which of course it'll last till around 20:00-21:00.

So there again i'll be charged for a day i won't be able to use.

Good Job Bioware! Keep filling the glass drop by drop until it'll spill all over your face.

At this point i want a 4-day refound at the end of the month since i cannot play those four days of maintenance. I don't care you say it's off peak hours for europeans it isn't true since it's in the middle of the blasting day.

have a cable bill? internet bill? do you demand a % of your bill back when service goes out for whatever reason? NOPE, to demand/expect such would be ridiculous, as it is in this instance... in fact, service for those things probably goes out without notice with no word except "our technicians are working to solve the problem"...whereas for SWTOR they tell you way ahead of time and do the best they can to give you a time frame. This allows you to plan something for the day, plan to put your toons in a rest zone, etc....it is part of the territory of technological devices, they have maintenance necessity

Edited by drealmer

Middle of the day isn't peak time, most games have peak concurrent users (PCU) around 7-10 PM in a given region. PCU is what they schedule maintenance times by.

Well here we are again, same maintenance times and same arguments back and forth.

Here is my two pence on the matter:

First all mmos need maintenance and ofc it is always long so soon after the launch.

Now the main problem people are having is the fact that the times are reasonable for the US but not so good for the EU customers. It is rediculously simplistic to say that people are at work or school dureing that time in the EU. It is not that simple in this day and age.

Now BW has said they used stats from the servers to determine when the least number of ppl would be playing and ACCROSS BOTH EU AND US I do not doubt this is true. BUT lets be real the servers havent been live for long enough yet to have any real stats at all about useage. They are probably right about the least number TOTAL, but not the least number in EACH REGION SEPERATELY.

So why not do it at seperate times in EU and US? Because they want ppl to have access to both regions at the same time. That was one of their design goals from the begining, or so we have been told.

Now what I am asking is: Is that really worth the problems and upset it has been causeing for the EU customers?

For me I would rather sacrifice the access to US servers in order to have the optimal downtimes for EU. But I'm not sure they will do that.

Why not move the server region option to the launcher, allowing the two areas to be updated seperately while still allowing the choice of where to play?

This could not be done quickly but at least I think would be a good medium term goal.

No matter if you agree with people complaining about the down times or not the fact remains that it MATTERS TO THEM. Surely that is a good enough reason to have a look into a matter that seems to be causeing contention.

A good solution to this problem would benefit everybody I think.

Middle of the day isn't peak time, most games have peak concurrent users (PCU) around 7-10 PM in a given region. PCU is what they schedule maintenance times by.

the point is it doesnt end up with just mid day. when you add extended maint. time and long queue when servers come up it takes almost all evening too.

Right Im going to call it right now: It will go to over time, again. And my timezones peak time starts one hour after the maintanence ends (1700->) so thank you very much for telling me again my playtime during peaktime is a calculated casualty and you dont want my money. I apreciate the very clear message EA. Edited by Sohtaraz

An entire "work day" for the EU. :')

Please keep the "someones always going to be unhappy" comments to yourself because they are dogmatic and nonsense.

How about you do it at those hours in the usa hmm bioware? :')

We both know why you wouldnt do that.

In the EU this is supposed to be the "off peak" hours.

In the USA its not? they dont work there? :')

Fact is you dont care bout pissing EU customers off.

Fact is.. its painfully clear its some automated process.

Since the nighttime start in the USA just happens to be the same start time here but just with timezone difference.

Which is just ridiculous considering they're supposed to be 2 seperate clusters.

You hear that sound bioware?

Thats the sound of a 1000 terribly annoyed EU customers cancelling their subscribtions.

have a cable bill? internet bill? do you demand a % of your bill back when service goes out for whatever reason? NOPE, to demand/expect such would be ridiculous, as it is in this instance... it is part of the territory of technological devices

Actually we do. It depends on reason, but some ISPs in Moscow (Russia) provide refund for interruptions, caused by ISP.

Good mmo operators setup weekly maintenance depending on region. Lowest server load is always at 4:00 AM local time (+.- 1 hour). Some companies don't have WEEKLY maintenance at all, they do it when needed. In this case time frame doesn't really matter.

So saying "maintenance is needed, deal with it" is incorrect - some games have short maintenance, some have it once a month (in average), some have it weekly and they are long - in that case they usually have different time frames.

BW should significantly reduce maintenance duration or make it not weekly, but monthly or setup different time frames. All this is possible, no matter what some IT guys here have said in different topics - other games do it right.

Current situation is just a slap in a face of EU customers.

again during the day time. i work at night shifts..yes i know about EULA but everything is not about what's written on papers. companies should care more about their customers imo. loosing 4 days a month is not cool. ofc can survive without it but just wanted to mention it's something makes me uncomfortable. i mean bioware not caring what happened last week tuesday at these forums..

Just think about when the majority of the customers play, and then think about your post.

Actually we do. It depends on reason, but some ISPs in Moscow (Russia) provide refund for interruptions, caused by ISP.

Good mmo operators setup weekly maintenance depending on region. Lowest server load is always at 4:00 AM local time (+.- 1 hour). Some companies don't have WEEKLY maintenance at all, they do it when needed. In this case time frame doesn't really matter.

So saying "maintenance is needed, deal with it" is incorrect - some games have short maintenance, some have it once a month (in average), some have it weekly and they are long - in that case they usually have different time frames.

BW should significantly reduce maintenance duration or make it not weekly, but monthly or setup different time frames. All this is possible, no matter what some IT guys here have said in different topics - other games do it right.

Current situation is just a slap in a face of EU customers.

well things make more sense over there in the EU...BW is here in the US where it's all about greed and money and political correctness and getting away with what you can (and then some). I'm sure BW/EA could learn a few things from a russian ISP, but I don't think they want to. I feel you, it sucks, they kick me in the face all the time with their BS too, overall it's a crap company and doesn't deserve our support...too bad it's STAR WARS. I suggest trying to find something to do for the day though, make the most of it, stretch the legs and eat a real meal (not suggesting you don't do those things, just throwing out ideas.) Hope that the game will be improved when you come back...and don't forget to put your toon in a rest area.

well things make more sense over there in the EU...BW is here in the US where it's all about greed and money and political correctness and getting away with what you can (and then some). I'm sure BW/EA could learn a few things from a russian ISP, but I don't think they want to. I feel you, it sucks, they kick me in the face all the time with their BS too, overall it's a crap company and doesn't deserve our support...too bad it's STAR WARS. I suggest trying to find something to do for the day though, make the most of it, stretch the legs and eat a real meal (not suggesting you don't do those things, just throwing out ideas.) Hope that the game will be improved when you come back...and don't forget to put your toon in a rest area.

thanks a lot for writing something that means. would appreciate if ppl would be in such behavior...thanks a lot really

They do care about their customers. That's why they are maintaining the servers so your play time is enjoyable.

Not guy

They only care about US Customers. The 10AM CST is 5PM CET.

And talking about wars we've learnt about our past errors, however you still solve all your problems with weapons, in senseless invasions and wars.

But don't worry fanboy,keed doing that way and soon you will not any swtor to play, if BW doesn't listen to they customers this game is going to ****.

read whole posts at this thread, remember last tuesday how the forum went down. if you can find last weeks threads (cause some of them deleted) then think and then write pls.

I did read the post. His post is titled about scheduled maintenance, the majority of his post covers that, and one cryptic sentence at the end about the horror of the forums on Tuesday doesn't change much.

The fact remains that the best customer friendly time to schedule maintenance is when the fewest customers play. Now if you want to explain further about your traumatic experience on the forums Tuesday, feel free.