Artifice: Too many Enhancements!

jonexe

TL;DR Version - There are 48 Enhancement recipes excluding found/RE'd recipes. Get rid of the useless ones!

Simply put, there are far too many types of enhancements available to a max level Artifice. Let me give you a simple number:

There are 48 Enhancement recipes that are usable at level 49. This does not include any learned from recipes found with missions skills, nor the Blue and Purple quality versions.

Frankly, that is entirely too many. There's no reason for this many different stat spreads on enhancements. Made even worse, every one of these enhancements has an "opposite." Same stats, but spread differently. Here's an example:

Ward Enhancement - 22 End, 10 Absorb Rate, 20 Surge

End and Absorb; great for tanking! Additional crit damage... what?

Safeguard Enhancement - 13 End, 19 Absorb, 28 Surge

Same as above, but more leaning towards the secondary stats.

Why do we need enhancements like this? DPS doesn't want shield absorb, and tanks typically don't care about additional crit damage. It just doesn't make sense.

There's quite a number of these recipes. Hilts, on the other hand, do not have this issue. There's only four! I suspect Mods deal with this, but not Armorings (I don't have a Cybertech to look).

Here's what I suggest:

Cut the entirely useless Enhancements, like the ones above. They're not useful for any role, so why have them? Keep the alternating stat spreads, but keep it to a minimum.

Edited by jonexe

Why does it bother you?

If you don't like them - then just don't learn/RE it.

If someone wants to try different builds that are different from the "approved ones" - he/she can try.

For instance - I like to have my companions a bit beefier at times so they can survive longer, therefore I sometimes choose endurance + their main attribute (and not the other, proper, way around).

You won't obviously (at least not now) RE everything to get purple recipes, so there will be a lot of people that can craft different items - and that's a good thing :)

And about the level difference - do you really want to have 10 level difference? Make a set for lvl 30 and wait 10 levels for the next set at 40?

I'm still leveling and when I see that I'm too weak I'll just replace two or three of the weakest parts and fortunatelly there will be replacements for my level (or one level lower). It makes it more fluid IMHO.

Edited by FoxNemhauser

i literally can't keep up in crafting useful armorings for all my gear everytime i get two levels.

Who says you HAVE TO?

In other MMOs where the difference was big - yes, you had to replace your whole set, but now there is no need for it. However now it's possible to do so, if someone wishes.

There's color crystals and enhancements - and I've been selling enough purples of those to get me up to 300 artifice and I just hit level 30. And then there's also critted sabers and critted wieldables.

There's enough here to keep a smart artificer rolling in the credits.

Why does it bother you?

If you don't like them - then just don't learn/RE it.

If someone wants to try different builds that are different from the "approved ones" - he/she can try.

For instance - I like to have my companions a bit beefier at times so they can survive longer, therefore I sometimes choose endurance + their main attribute (and not the other, proper, way around).

You won't obviously (at least not now) RE everything to get purple recipes, so there will be a lot of people that can craft different items - and that's a good thing :)

And about the level difference - do you really want to have 10 level difference? Make a set for lvl 30 and wait 10 levels for the next set at 40?

I'm still leveling and when I see that I'm too weak I'll just replace two or three of the weakest parts and fortunatelly there will be replacements for my level (or one level lower). It makes it more fluid IMHO.

There's several problems with the sheer number of them.

Sure, you might be one of the 10,000 people out there that wants +Crit Damage and +Shield Absorb... but is the enhancement really going to make a different? Is 28 Surge Rating really going to change anything? I severely doubt it. You'd need half a set or more filled with said enhancements to make any noticeable difference.

One could choose not to learn some of the recipes; but that doesn't really help the issue at all. Some of us who do crafting want to be able to provide to anyone and everyone that needs our services-- including the rare person like you who wants something off the wall! If everyone took your advice, you'd never get a purple version of that weird stat spread you want.

Let's not even begin to talk about the massive money sink it is to purchase all these recipes; and then again to start crafting and REing them. It's bad enough that there's multiple spreads of the same stats to learn and use (which is fine, it allows for some variety).

It also makes it difficult for less experienced players to figure out what stats they need; especially when they're leveling their first character and picked Artificing. It's bad enough the stats are not explained in the character pane like primary stats are; but then you make weird spreads and have people scratching their heads going "Well... I can equip a shield... do I need absorb to level? Do I need surge? What does that even do?"

Lastly, it makes the crafting window a nightmare to scroll through and find items you want. 48 enhancements makes looking for the one you want to make take forever-- especially since you can't search for particular stats or even prefixes.

Edited by jonexe

Aside from the point about it cluttering up the recipe window, there is no reason to get rid of them. If anything, it encourages diversity.

To whoever said Artificing is useless at 50, you have no clue what you're talking about, sorry. It's worthwhile at all levels.

what makes your opinion the opinion of everyone else?

There's no need for this kind of reply in a discussion. For those who disagree with me, I'd like to see some actual counter arguments. There may be something that I'm frankly missing. I've provided what I feel are problems and solutions-- I'd encourage you to do the same. It's the only way to get developer attention in either direction.

Anyhow... I disagree that it encourages diversity; as some stats are quite literally useless for some classes. Absorb is only usable by Guardians, Shadows, and Vanguards, for instance. Why would you pair it up with an obvious DPS stat like Surge. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. The only value I see in it is for companions; and even then it's seemed through my entire leveling experience that focusing their stats instead of trying to do everything worked out much nice.

There's no need for this kind of reply in a discussion. For those who disagree with me, I'd like to see some actual counter arguments. There may be something that I'm frankly missing. I've provided what I feel are problems and solutions-- I'd encourage you to do the same. It's the only way to get developer attention in either direction.

Anyhow... I disagree that it encourages diversity; as some stats are quite literally useless for some classes. Absorb is only usable by Guardians, Shadows, and Vanguards, for instance. Why would you pair it up with an obvious DPS stat like Surge. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. The only value I see in it is for companions; and even then it's seemed through my entire leveling experience that focusing their stats instead of trying to do everything worked out much nice.

Surge = Threat.

Surge = Threat.

Agreed; but with the low low crit chance levels and general need for defensive statistics; wouldn't something like Power be more useful? Why rely on a chance for some additional threat when you could have additional threat across the board?

A better UI might solve the problem with the need to remove the off-the-wall enhancements. It's extremely daunting when you hit 400 and all of a sudden has this massive array of recipes to learn. It's only going to get worse when you've gotten a fair supply of the blue and purple versions.

Perhaps the best solution would be to make enhancements customizable. Have one enhancement at every interval as it does now. When you choose to craft it, you have to select a Primarily, Secondary, and Tertiary stat. Depending on which position you plug the stat into, determines the amount of that stat you get. They could even still force you to have End on it. With a solution like this, or something similar, you could make everyone happy.

TL;DR Version - There are 48 Enhancement recipes excluding found/RE'd recipes. Get rid of the useless ones!

Simply put, there are far too many types of enhancements available to a max level Artifice. Let me give you a simple number:

There are 48 Enhancement recipes that are usable at level 49. This does not include any learned from recipes found with missions skills, nor the Blue and Purple quality versions.

Frankly, that is entirely too many. There's no reason for this many different stat spreads on enhancements. Made even worse, every one of these enhancements has an "opposite." Same stats, but spread differently. Here's an example:

Ward Enhancement - 22 End, 10 Absorb Rate, 20 Surge

End and Absorb; great for tanking! Additional crit damage... what?

Safeguard Enhancement - 13 End, 19 Absorb, 28 Surge

Same as above, but more leaning towards the secondary stats.

Why do we need enhancements like this? DPS doesn't want shield absorb, and tanks typically don't care about additional crit damage. It just doesn't make sense.

There's quite a number of these recipes. Hilts, on the other hand, do not have this issue. There's only four! I suspect Mods deal with this, but not Armorings (I don't have a Cybertech to look).

Here's what I suggest:

Cut the entirely useless Enhancements, like the ones above. They're not useful for any role, so why have them? Keep the alternating stat spreads, but keep it to a minimum.

Sure, you might be one of the 10,000 people out there that wants +Crit Damage and +Shield Absorb... but is the enhancement really going to make a different? Is 28 Surge Rating really going to change anything? I severely doubt it. You'd need half a set or more filled with said enhancements to make any noticeable difference.

One could choose not to learn some of the recipes; but that doesn't really help the issue at all. Some of us who do crafting want to be able to provide to anyone and everyone that needs our services-- including the rare person like you who wants something off the wall! If everyone took your advice, you'd never get a purple version of that weird stat spread you want.

Let's not even begin to talk about the massive money sink it is to purchase all these recipes; and then again to start crafting and REing them. It's bad enough that there's multiple spreads of the same stats to learn and use (which is fine, it allows for some variety).

It also makes it difficult for less experienced players to figure out what stats they need; especially when they're leveling their first character and picked Artificing. It's bad enough the stats are not explained in the character pane like primary stats are; but then you make weird spreads and have people scratching their heads going "Well... I can equip a shield... do I need absorb to level? Do I need surge? What does that even do?"

Lastly, it makes the crafting window a nightmare to scroll through and find items you want. 48 enhancements makes looking for the one you want to make take forever-- especially since you can't search for particular stats or even prefixes.

I can't respond with anything but an "LOLWUT" to this. Many people can and WILL use setups other than "THE ONE" build and still raid at peak efficiency + optimized gear for their role. For PVP virtually any stat setup is viable if you spec for it and optimize your gear together for it. Why on Earth would you be asking to have already-itemized, already-implemented, already-balanced recipes removed outright? Your argument of "but there's so many!" is silly, just don't train for them if you don't want them. The later post about how "I want to serve everyone's needs!!!!111oneone" is equally absurd, get the recipes and train them or you're not going to serve their needs anyway even if the recipe somehow magically no longer exists.

Thread rating: 0.1 out of 10. Quoted for posterity.

Sincerely, 50 Sentinel w/ 400 artifice/treasure/arch and tons of purple recipes.

Edited by Ancen

I can't respond with anything but an "LOLWUT" to this. Many people can and WILL use setups other than "THE ONE" build and still raid at peak efficiency + optimized gear for their role. For PVP virtually any stat setup is viable if you spec for it and optimize your gear together for it. Why on Earth would you be asking to have already-itemized, already-implemented, already-balanced recipes removed outright? Your argument of "but there's so many!" is silly, just don't train for them if you don't want them. The later post about how "I want to serve everyone's needs!!!!111oneone" is equally absurd, get the recipes and train them or you're not going to serve their needs anyway even if the recipe somehow magically no longer exists.

Sincerely, 50 Sentinel w/ 400 artifice/treasure/arch and tons of purple recipes.

Hostile much? Seriously? Good to know you know how to have an adult discussion.

I agree with the OP, at least in that there are a few enhancements that have the same stats as each other. For instance:

Bastion Enhancement 22 http://www.torhead.com/item/4oyFHhe

+22 Endurance

+28 Shield Rating

+10 Defense Rating

Steadfast Enhancement 22 http://www.torhead.com/item/7pC6jGt

+22 Endurance

+28 Shield Rating

+10 Defense Rating

(fyi, torhead labels Shield Rating as "Glance Rating")

There are at least 2 other enhancements that duplicate stats, but I dont feel like looking them up.

I agree with the OP, at least in that there are a few enhancements that have the same stats as each other. For instance:

Bastion Enhancement 22 http://www.torhead.com/item/4oyFHhe

+22 Endurance

+28 Shield Rating

+10 Defense Rating

Steadfast Enhancement 22 http://www.torhead.com/item/7pC6jGt

+22 Endurance

+28 Shield Rating

+10 Defense Rating

(fyi, torhead labels Shield Rating as "Glance Rating")

There are at least 2 other enhancements that duplicate stats, but I dont feel like looking them up.

Get rid of those at least. With so many different enhancements we really don't need differently named ones with exactly the same stats.

• 1 month later...
It's about the same as your suggestion... and I wasn't being hostile in any case, I'm sorry you feel that way.

You weren't being hostile, you were being a sarcastic smartarse and it was immature and unnecessary, think about what you post before posting it next time.

As for the OP, I agree with you somewhat. I'm at 400 Artificing and there are WAY to many enhancements at the end level. Sure I don't have to learn them all, but that's not a solution. It's like saying "I broke my showerhead and now I can't shower" and someone responds with "quit whining, theres an easy solution, just don't shower". Avoiding an issue doesn't make it go away. The fact is some of the schematics are basically redundant recipes with a slight difference in the value of the stats. Artificing needs work, it needs to be cleaned up and streamlined as far as the different types go. 48 types is WAY to many.

As usual peole get sensitive and derail the thread.

Any who...

I find that the overall crafting schems is just sloppy and cluttered with schems.

It's like the devs over thought the process rather than simplify it.

I kind of wish crafting was similar to SWG. In there, you basically had a shell, the mod, and you add those to the the recipe. I know we have that outside of crafting such as armor and mods but there shoudl be something similar in the actual crafting schems.

So instead of this.

Enhancment 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11...........100 :mad:

you would have this. :D

Enhancment Shell

Crit insert a b c...

End insert a b c...

Def insert a b c...

ect.

This would also allow players to crit the stats via Companion, level, and chance making unique player items that are different from whats on npc vendors and what drops in low level fields. It may seem more complex but it's actually simple because instead of creating 4x 22 sets of enhancments to cover all playstyle of every class, this way you can just retro fit the stats in the shell and create what the server/customer wants instead of hoping and praying someone will buy your stuff one day. Cleaner schematics list and much more user friendly. Of course the higher the stats the higher the level but Bioware can do the math for that, im sure its' already done.

imo artifice needs a massive overhaul anyway. Its a money pit. No one buys hardly any of it. By 50 itll all be useless.

you must be doing it wrong. i Re'd lvl 19-21 artifice items to make epic versions. 1. it kept me ahead of any loot I found from taris-landing on alderan,. and 2. Just by selling those epics I make enough money to fund my main and 2 alts!!

on topic: if you dont like 48 enhancements dont make any obviously. focus only on the ones you want. diversity isnt affecting you and f someone else wants to spec in a very particular way they can do so

IF it is too much clutter for you, dont learn the recipies you are complaining about.

If you feel overwhelmed about HAVING to Re each of them so you can say youve done so,you can start by not expecting to master every possible schematic. right away. Start with ones you want and work from there. Eventually you will know how to make the best "useless" enhancements you hate and will never sell.

Someone else will undoubtedly master the ones you dont feel like.

But its childish to ask bioware to remove the enhancements you dont like,or YOU feel to be useless, to reduce your workload so you can feel like the big kahuna

Edited by supafreak

Any that want to do a different setup such as surge and absorb clearly doesn't know what he is doing and should be helped by not being allowed to have that option. and please come with some grown arguments instead, such lame what you are writing.

At the current stage I see Artifice as completely useless, the only thing it is good for is to help gearing up for hard mode fp fast and be outplaced 1 day after with something better.

I did earn a lot of credits with Artifice, the problem is just other crew skills can do credit farm much better. Artifice became so useless too me that I gave it up, even I had tons of purple schematics. Now I have biochem which totally outscale Artifice both in usefulness credit making. and still will even after the next nerf.

I dont think there is a problem with having a wide variety of recipes, however you have correctly identified several usability problems that come with that.

Lots of recipes are fine if and only if

• its easy to find the one you want in your list. Good grouping, sorting, filtering etc
  • Above options are saved, so you dont have to re-order the list on opening the crafting window.
  • more explanation on some of the game mechanics, a good codex entriy on absorbtion and other attribute types.

Being a money sink learning all the recipes is sort of the point of that game mechanic, and having lots means being chosy at first. I like that.

Improve ability to quickly get the recipe you want and adding more info to the game would remove the need to remove recipes IMO.

Edited by LongGui

I'm 100% satisfied with the state of Artificing as it is. As many have responded before me, it is simply a matter of ignoring what you. It is better to have and not need, then to need and not have. I applaud Bioware's time into putting such diversity into the different enhancements we get. How, can you as a customer and a gamer, disagree with getting more? It's baffling.

If you don't like how many you get, then please un-click the enhancement tab when you don't need it, and try and take it with a grain of salt when you do; In the end, with all this nonsensical bickering about "Useless" enhancements, you're simply going to further handicap the game by putting further stipulations in place. Good day.