Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Girl with the Jawa Tattoo

Darth_Slaine
01.17.2012 , 05:17 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Gestahlt View Post
I honestly didn't expect the story to start out this serious or well. Not that you don't write well, but I expect a certain degree of whimsicality that is absent the prose here, and I must admit you did a good job with it. Having read these stories I can see why the name is similar to the originals, but it doesn't read like a "parody", so much as a retelling with a personalized, Star Wars touch.

That's interesting to me because just yesterday someone was telling a "joke" in the OOC Channel that went like this: "What did the twi'lek [dancer] say to her client?" The answer was something lewd, but dealt nothing at all with Twi'leks. It was just adding the word "Twi'lek" to an existing joke and saying "heh, now it's Star Wars!" That's cheesy and dated; it lacks any real attempt to dig into the esoteric mess that is Star Wars lore and personalize it. My statement was "What did the twi'lek dancer say to her friend? Break a lek." This is that, it takes what we know "break a leg" and then makes it fit into Star Wars' terminology.

Very smart, very provocative.

The discourse on the roles of women also fits the trend of Steig Larsson's informative take on female roles in society. It certainly helps the reader (at least, me) begin to form my take on the characters in question. The investigator and the investigated. Switching the age roles between Hlemmur and the Sith (hurr) and Blomkvist and Salader is a
Thanks. I wanted to approach this one in a more serious way than some of my other stories. I thought Larsson was making some really strong points about society and its treatment of women. I haven't seen the movies, but I read some of the discussion about whether the message about violence against women had been lost and replaced with a sensationalist treatment of the issue.
Because of the way our culture bundles sex, violence and gender identity it is a difficult subject to approach. How do you portray a depraved crime that is a manifestation of all that is wrong with how we reproduce gender "norms" by sexualizing violence without re-sexualizing it in this new context? If the imagery of violence against women has become sexualized, is it possible to examine that imagery without compounding the problem?

As you mention, I was particularly concerned with how these things appear in fiction generally but in Star Wars specifically. I started writing the story before I saw the Vette/Sith Warrior relationship but I think there was already enough material in the canon to work with.

I've stolen several big things from Larsson, but the biggest is the theme of the work. Some of the other dynamics I have used or e-interpreted but I wanted to stay true to the idea of a study of men who hate women.

The project looks like it is going to run longer than any of my other stories. I'd have to guess I am halfway through it. What keeps me interested is the difficulty of dealing with the topics in a way that I hope deconstructs, rather than reconstructs, some of the mess that we have created in our lives. I have said before that I have tried to stop writing for an audience -- and even to be at war with the audience's expectations. This time, I am at war with the idea of writing what I would like to see rather than what I feel to be true.

But you had better get writing... otherwise the Swedes will have made a film of this story before you start.

That goes for you too, Kharnis.