Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

Blackk

Players are being banned from the game for going to Ilum. Apparently: The planet states that you are required to be level 40+ before traveling there according to the customer service mail. And as such, he is getting banned!

Constructively speaking, I find it hard to believe that customer service would BAN players over this.

1) If a zone is supposed to be restricted to a certain level, why not LEVEL LOCK it? Prevent people going to the planet instead of banning them without warning! Is there a disclaimer that going to Ilum too early will get you banned? NO! It's not in the EULA either.

2) If you level up your slicing and that's the best/only place to get slicing XP, what should you do? Stop slicing until your level catches up?

3) INFORM your customer base! Let them know that traveling to this planet is considered a bannable offense! The game is almost A WEEK OLD and players are already being banned without warning!

4) Stop closing the forums posts about it. LEARN from the mistakes, get the players feedback, and grow from it. SILENCING community pain points will not solve the problem, it will only aggravate the community (and ultimately, make the topic spill into private forums)

Ultimately, please stop punishing players for playing the game. Own the mistakes of CHOOSING not to level lock the zone, and CHOOSING not to inform your players that these activities will result in banning, and CHANGE IT. TELL your paying customers that THIS WILL GET YOU BANNED!

Edits: Players requested screenshot

Edits: Things learned through the posts:

1) These players received a temporary ban, but no verbal warning.

2) The grammar of the email provided by Bioware is poorly written, and very vague as to the infraction.

a) Bioware's customer service emails do not have a color background. They are black text documents with no art regardless of if you are being warned about your forum posts, or banned from playing.

3) Beyond these screenshots, there is no further proof. You are welcome to google search for results, and see deleted posts, but aside from a public post from Bioware (who will not discuss the events of peoples accounts, it's considered private) So please do not ask for any more proof. There's none to be had.

4) Even if you choose not to believe it because it's unbelievable; that's fine by me! That's why I created this topic. I felt that how this was handled was ridiculous.

Edited by Blackk

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true, then whoever made the decision to ban people over it needs to be fired immediately, and in a very public manner.

It's like being a special forces operative behind enemy lines -- if you are caught, you are disavowed by your own government. Unless you are banning people who are hacking and/or gold selling, then pick a scapegoat and point the finger, Bioware.

Edited by AJediKnight

Players are being banned from the game for going to Ilum. Apparently: The planet states that you are required to be level 40+ before traveling there according to the customer service mail. And as such, he is getting banned!

Constructively speaking, I find it hard to believe that customer service would BAN players over this.

1) If a zone is supposed to be restricted to a certain level, why not LEVEL LOCK it? Prevent people going to the planet instead of banning them without warning! Is there a disclaimer that going to Ilum too early will get you banned? NO! It's not in the EULA either.

2) If you level up your slicing and that's the best/only place to get slicing XP, what should you do? Stop slicing until your level catches up?

3) INFORM your customer base! Let them know that traveling to this planet is considered a bannable offense! The game is almost A WEEK OLD and players are already being banned without warning!

4) Stop closing the forums posts about it. LEARN from the mistakes, get the players feedback, and grow from it. SILENCING community pain points will not solve the problem, it will only aggravate the community (and ultimately, make the topic spill into private forums)

Ultimately, please stop punishing players for playing the game. Own the mistakes of CHOOSING not to level lock the zone, and CHOOSING not to inform your players that these activities will result in banning, and CHANGE IT. TELL your paying customers that THIS WILL GET YOU BANNED!

I wish I could say I am surprised, but ladies and gentlemen, this is Bioware.

It's exploitation to go into an open pvp zone to harvest materials? If you are low level, and risking getting killed (and suffering death penalty) in a higher level zone, that is the risk you take.

How many people have done this in other MMO's? Perhaps they should take World of Warcrafts approach and level lock trade skills?

1) Level locking trade skills to cap at certain player levels will prevent them from even wanting to get to higher level zones to skill up. Because they will be locked into the brackets that mean anything for them.

2) At this point, crafting level is different from player level. You can skill up to level 300 at relatively early in your gaming experience. At which point: Yes, you have to go to higher level zones to continue! Is it a bannable offense to continue to progress your crafting beyond your level?

It's exploitation to go into an open pvp zone to harvest materials? If you are low level, and risking getting killed (and suffering death penalty) in a higher level zone, that is the risk you take.

... Is it a bannable offense to continue to progress your crafting beyond your level?

That is something you will have to personally contact Customer Service and find out what their reason is that caused the ban.

Whenever you do get an update on it though, please post it, as I am very curious about this and I'm sure many others are as well.

Edited by Bob-ombaFett

Geez people, were you born last night? Ever consider that the OP is only giving you part of the whole story maybe? Perhaps there was some foul play going on with said players; thus, leading to their being banned. Remember kids, take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Citation needed. Sounds like some sort of misunderstanding at best, lie at worst.

How do you know this before you throw assumption. Maybe they are doing it and maybe they are not. Not right for you to call someone a liar. If they are deleting posts regarding this issue, apparently it holds water.

Citation needed. Sounds like some sort of misunderstanding at best, lie at worst.

I apologize that I cannot offer citation. Providing information on players personal accounts and account issues will result in closure of the topic. I have specifically posted this without any specific players account information or the particular events of their banning to prevent it from being closed and to grow awareness to the issue.

This is too vague to be considered credible. Who was banned? When? Where's the ban email? Who did it come from? Or where's the screenshot?

You need some proof to back this up. If you have it, I'm sure there will be a riot. Without it, we can't believe you. Sorry, but that's too crazy to believe without proof.

Personally, I just hope there is more to this. Sneaking into high-level zones to explore and do a little harvesting has been a part of MMOs since the early days. To attempt to nip such behavior in the bud, and in such an unnecessarily dramatic way, has PR disaster written all over it.

I apologize that I cannot offer citation. Providing information on players personal accounts and account issues will result in closure of the topic. I have specifically posted this without any specific players account information or the particular events of their banning to prevent it from being closed and to grow awareness to the issue.

So you have no evidence. I am not saying you are lying. It is a very real possibility that the person who told you this story was lying to you. That makes a lot more sense than banning people for going to a planet.

Then I call BS. Post it on another website if you have to. But without confirmation, I'm afraid I believe your claims to be a lie.