Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just cancelled my WoW Annual Pass.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Just cancelled my WoW Annual Pass.

Wrevan
12.30.2011 , 06:46 PM | #1
That's right, the supposedly-irrevocable contract for continuing to pay for one whole year of World of Warcraft (it's almost as if Blizzard knew they were going to lose players to SWTOR huh) by removing all forms of payment from my Battle.net account.

Why did I ever get into it to begin with? Diablo 3 of course (I was hoping for a secret increase in chances of getting into the beta) but I'll buy that on its own when the time comes.

Having played since the launch of Cataclysm, I was fed up with WoW breaking down into a mind-numbing weekly routine between patches after you hit 85: Cap your Valor & Conquest every Wednesday, run Baradin Hold and the latest raid (FL/DS) by Thursday, and .....that's it.

Between point caps and the raid all you see is LFMs for legacy content just for Achievements or vanity gear.

PvP'ers will argue but I don't believe in playing an MMORPG just for PvP - I have better-balanced and more-competitive games like StarCraft for that.

BEFORE cap, oh hell don't remind me that nightmarish grind for XP with absolutely zero options in the way you do a particular quest or dungeon. I know, at least that's about 100% more options there are in character customization...right? *cough*

In SWTOR, I'm having fun playing just for the sake of playing, although I do miss being able to actually sit in chairs, and that's all for my contribution to TOR love today. Thanks for reading

AJediKnight
12.30.2011 , 06:50 PM | #2
Yeah. WoW really felt more like a job than a game there at the end. I quit last March and never looked back once. I don't begrudge Blizzard over the 6 years I spent with their game, but never once did I see the 'war' in 'warcraft.' The best they ever managed was 'smallscaleskirmishcraft.'
[][]☲☲☲[]ị::ị\(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Kiwimeister
12.30.2011 , 06:51 PM | #3
Good Sir...i Agree fully...an yea...i removed all my payment options as well...when i realized i actually cant get out of it....the hell with that account entirely...if i knew this game was comming out...would sooooooo not have done that..n i only did it for d3...shoulda bought the damn thing...i guess thats what we get for being cheap right? lol

back in the days of the classis WOW....that game was kinda like this one....it wasnt dumbed down as it is now to suit child or childish players...lvling actually takes long in this game...and zomg did i just die from a mob? i love it!
Everything Eventually comes to an end....Not even the Dragon Balls can last forever!

Gerandar
12.30.2011 , 06:53 PM | #4
Sadly I don't forsee endgame in TOR being any different, cap your warzone stuff do your dailies, do the OP's and FP's

MMO's are basicly all the same at heart.

Wrevan
12.30.2011 , 07:00 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Gerandar View Post
Sadly I don't forsee endgame in TOR being any different, cap your warzone stuff do your dailies, do the OP's and FP's

MMO's are basicly all the same at heart.
I haven't seen TOR's endgame but I see what you mean.

However TOR lets you experience the game more differently the 2nd time around with other classes than WoW does, because of its story and path choices.

TOR also has more potential for adding totally new environments in patches (unlike WoW which only introduces new areas in expansions) simply because the setting is based across planets instead of continents.

One thing I'll give WoW, is the different starting regions for each race. I was disappointed in having to go through Dromund Kaas on my Sith Warrior just like I did on my Bounty Hunter.

Dakkongj
12.30.2011 , 07:00 PM | #6
People spend more time in this game talking about wow then people in wow talk about wow.

it's like one big AA group for former wow players who are trying to convince themselves/others that they are over their addiction.

AJediKnight
12.30.2011 , 07:03 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrevan View Post
I haven't seen TOR's endgame but I see what you mean.

However TOR lets you experience the game more differently the 2nd time around with other classes than WoW does, because of its story and path choices.

TOR also has more potential for adding totally new environments in patches (unlike WoW which only introduces new areas in expansions) simply because the setting is based across planets instead of continents.

One thing I'll give WoW, is the different starting regions for each race. I was disappointed in having to go through Dromund Kaas on my Sith Warrior just like I did on my Bounty Hunter.
I feel more motivation to roll alts in TOR. I actually want to see the story from different angles. I need to have at least 4 different classes maxed before I start to question endgame. I figure that gives Bioware about a 6-month cushion to get the endgame squared away for players like me.

If you're playing the game as a 'one account, one main' affair, you're doing it wrong. And I am not trying to be obnoxious; there seriously is more to be had from leveling alts than there is in other titles.
[][]☲☲☲[]ị::ị\(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Wrevan
12.30.2011 , 07:05 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dakkongj View Post
People spend more time in this game talking about wow then people in wow talk about wow.

it's like one big AA group for former wow players who are trying to convince themselves/others that they are over their addiction.
I don't know about your WoW server, but people on mine talk about SWTOR often, and most of the times WoW loyalists don't come up with anything in WoW's defense, other than "den wy ar yu steel playing this" as if you could only play one MMO ever

but yes, TOR draws on WoW's strengths, and adds some things better. It's only natural to compare, AND SCREAM OUR REJOICING TO THE WHOLE WORLD FOR FINALLY, OH LAWD FINALLY BEING FREED FROM THAT TRAP OF MEDIOCRITY, if you're a former Warcrafter

Itose
12.30.2011 , 07:08 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Dakkongj View Post

Lol I agree...as a Guild Wars and former SWG player I find it pretty annoying...WoW this, WoW that...when is it TOR's turn?

roadrunner
12.30.2011 , 07:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrevan View Post
I don't know about your WoW server, but people on mine talk about SWTOR often, and most of the times WoW loyalists don't come up with anything in WoW's defense, other than "den wy ar yu steel playing this" as if you could only play one MMO ever

but yes, TOR draws on WoW's strengths, and adds some things better. It's only natural to compare, AND SCREAM OUR REJOICING TO THE WHOLE WORLD FOR FINALLY, OH LAWD FINALLY BEING FREED FROM THAT TRAP OF MEDIOCRITY, if you're a former Warcrafter
Sweet stuff. I do understand why someone would want to get the annual pass. Diablo 3 is pretty tempting, but I believe you made the right decision in the long run. It's a way for blizzard to 'lock in' subscribers for a year and It's probably a lot cheaper just buying D3.
Come together.