Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Sniper/Gunslinger Issues Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
The Sniper/Gunslinger Issues Thread

TheWulfe
01.02.2012 , 06:40 PM | #21
Yeah I have to agree with a lot of the op's post, there are a myriad of problems with the sniper atm. Granted the game as a whole is by far one of the buggiest mmos I've ever played.
[CENTER]>>>BOOM HEADSHOT>>>

Robula
01.02.2012 , 06:43 PM | #22
Thank you for being the person to voice my concerns. It was only this afternoon I left my Sniper at level 45 to re-roll.

I'd like to return, but frankly I don't see it's worth.

BrianDurex
01.03.2012 , 09:52 AM | #23
Agree with most.

I find cover far too clunky and unresponsive in PvP, a severe hindrance to our classes. If this were fixed i'd be alot happier with being a Gunslinger. I've no problems with losing LoS in PvP, as it's just the way it goes at the end of the day.

I'm fairly happy with my survivability, as I assume we're the biggest glass cannons in the game if specced Marksman/Sharpshooter... It's just that cover thing that gets me heated.

I also get the 'cannot see target' thing often, when using Aimed Shot at least, even though my Charged Bursts can be used with no problems in exactly the same spot.

Formulka
01.03.2012 , 09:39 PM | #24
getting the healing companion earlier would help gunslinger a ton

Even when you are on top of your cooldowns and rotation there is almost no way to solo any 2+ heroic (except when it gets grey) or champion around your level. Basically anything you cant kill in few seconds will kill you no matter what you do. This works with regular stuff or single yellow elite, but anything more than that = death or almost death guaranteed.
 SWTOR for Macintosh 
❝Don't ignore us, and we will not ignore you.❞

SandTrout
01.04.2012 , 03:03 PM | #25
Reporting that I have confirmed that channeled abilities are no longer canceled by hard cover.

I recommend changing the OP to reflect this.
Nerf not, lest ye be nerfed.

Psyrion
01.05.2012 , 07:17 AM | #26
I'm in agreement with the OP. I've been playing a Gunslinger since release day, and I've actually had to step away from the class on multiple occasions out of sheer frustration. The cover system is one of the worst experiences I've had with a ranged class in nearly 8 years, and while it's functional, the fact that I can plant myself down say, 10-15 feet in front of an elite mob, order my companion to attack it or pull it myself, and suddenly be unable to see the target that I intentionally placed in front of me without obstruction is ridiculous. One of our primary nukes, "Aimed Shot" cannot be used in 90% of environmental cover, regardless of the placement of the mob. I roll into a spot, charged blast, and start to cast AS, and "Unable to See Target" (while it's directly on the other side of said cover) causes me to have to deselect my target, plant myself in shielded cover in the open, and start fighting all over again. This is provided that my cover triggers prior to my twitch reselection of the target, otherwise I roll DIRECTLY BACK TO THE SAME BUGGED COVER AS BEFORE.

That and the fact that I get to blow my GCD resetting cover each and every time just makes me not want to play the class; it's one thing to be forced into a group for heroics, it's entirely different to die repeatedly to an unresponsive UI or a core feature of your class and be unable to solo normal quests without extreme workarounds.

Strah
01.05.2012 , 07:29 AM | #27
Never had any issues with entrench.

I won't stress the fact that you can't be pulled while in cover, i'm not speaking about being pulled while entrenched in cover.

FROGJOHN
01.05.2012 , 08:13 AM | #28
Super BUMP, so true. All that I needed to rant about was expressed in your post
Elite + 2 mobs
With no heals
REALLY

Karast
01.05.2012 , 11:44 AM | #29
./bump

Its not that the cover system is a horrible idea or that its useless its just that in both PvE and PvP it is a highly situational mechanic. You cannot always afford to be stationary and at times the system is just not practical.

A good example is a highly mobile game of huttball. If your pushing in with the ball for your team going for a relay you cannot always afford to stay in cover, and while out of cover you lose access to many of your key abilities, notably the bulk of your CC and burst dps abilities. Which the exception of the stealth classes we are the only ones limited in such a manner when it comes to ability use, and when the exact same abilities are mirrored onto other classes who have no restriction on their usage it causes an imbalance.

They can dps and use CC whenever they want. I have to be in cover.

But this is a fairly common issue. Classes that are stuck with situational mechanics will always suffer in the long run compared to those with non-situational mechanics. As long as we have abilities that are restricted by the cover system we will have issues, when we get put into situations in PvE and PvP that require constant movement, and unfortunately those situations are fairly common, especially with boss mechanics, we will suffer.

ducksmyth
01.05.2012 , 03:34 PM | #30
The ground targeted aoes isnt a big deal since you should be leaving cover every 6 seconds to refresh balistic dampners.

Leaving cover everytime you get to fire followthrough (also a 6 second cd, has no cover requirement) will increase your survivability quite a lot.