Why Continue To Play SWTOR?

QDMcGraw

We know you came from WoW, don't deny it. Everyone playing MMO's has had a run through the turnstile of the most popular MMO out there. It was easy, it was fun, and slowly, but surely, it took over your life as you chased the brass ring of endgame. Burned out and disillusioned from your time at hardcore raiding, you became jaded to the WoW experience. It's ok, we know this, we've all been there; you are not alone.

But, here we are with this fancy new game. It's Star Wars! Who doesn't love Star Wars? Well, at least the original trilogy, but those are the movies, and this is a video game. Star Wars has a rich history of quality games going back a generation now. From the halcyon days of X-Wing and TIE Fighter to more recent releases like KOTOR and The Force Unleashed, the Star Wars Franchise goes on strong. There were some bumps in the road, all franchises have them, but, really, a shiny new Star Wars MMO, story driven and built to please, how could it go wrong?

Oh, dang, bugs. Well, let's be honest. Every game, even stand alone games, are released with bugs. You are to blame for this, my friend. yes, you. Prior to release, how hard were you fiending for this game to be released? You got your wish and now it's not good enough? Oh well, them's the breaks. In the last 10 years, game companies realized the hungry purchasing public will pay to beta test games. I'm very confident in the next 10 years, Beta Testing rights will be purchased from companies, in an effort to drum up more revenue to create the game. With over 100 million dollars invested into these games, the influx has to come from somewhere.

But I digress, we all came from WoW or spent some time in Azeroth. It's inevitable, and now here we are, collected at the gates and wondering what we paid for. It's been 2.5 weeks and you're already max level and have nothing to do. You, my friend, are a serious gamer! Those stories are for the Role Playing Nerds, not the gamers! PVP is broken, it's absurd, it's horrendous, and you keep losing at it. This game is obviously broken, because you got skills, my friend. Your Battle Rank in WoW proves this. In fact, you have 2,3 and 5 man Arena Ratings that blow away your SAT scores, because that's just how you roll: hardcore. You have pre-nerf Lich king slayings under your belt, server first on Ruby Sanctum, and let's not even get into the amount of butt kicking you did in Cataclysm! Sure, you may have missed Vanilla, but you were a punk kid that was enamored by Harry Potter, but you've grown up since then and you're starting to grow hair in places you were afraid to wash last month. Azeroth was your playground and everyone knew that anytime you walked through Orgrimmar or Stormwind with all your latest Tier Gear.

And this is where it all comes to a head. You have thousands of hours invested into WoW. You've spent the better part of the last few years in Azeroth conquering anything and everything, doing every little quest you could find and getting all the achievements you could get because you were running out of things to do. PVP? Hell, we already talked about your Arena Rankings, it's balanced, it's good, it's everything it should be, but, it was a long time coming my friend. I was there at the beginning of Azeroth, don't fool yourself that it was always golden and good.

So, my friend, this is the investment you currently have in WoW. You have an addiction, be it great or small, to MMO's. Don't fool yourself, you do. You are looking for reasons to not like Star Wars because deep down you know what it's going to take to be on top again, and with everyone all starting near the same time, everyone has the same chance you do to make a name for themselves and be epic. It's not so much there's nothing to do at 50, it's there's nothing to brag about. Your ePeen remains flacid while you wait for developers to give you a conquest to take on. I know this feeling well, I've been there. At one point I was the one of the top 3 rogues on my PVP server for Gear Score, Boss kills and PVP ratings. I had PVP ranks when they were given in Military Ranks, that's how old school I was, and I kept that rank!

So, what's the point? Well, you don't want to start over, you want to rise above, but you are having trouble finding a way IN GAME to do this. You, my friend, are epic. You are important, you're voice holds weight and others should be lining up to suck at the teet of your gaming wisdom. But, again, Star Wars has no mountain for you to climb into rare air and set yourself apart from the rest. The accomplishments you are achieving are something everyone else in game can do if they dedicate the time you did. Sure, you leveled faster, but, it was a finite climb and the ladder just lead to a platform. The longer you stand there waiting for content, the more people join you on this common ground. There's nothing exceptional about being 50, and with the game being so new, the WarZones are buggy, so you can't set yourself up successfully in there. More and more people show up, and you get lost in the masses of unwashed Casuals. They're turning up everywhere, and there's no way for you to set yourself apart from them in game, it just doesn't exist. You can't sit by idly while your accomplishments, thus far, are made mundane by Casuals, blech! The word Casuals leaves a dirty taste in your mouth. In fact, all this time you are waiting for the bugs to be fixed, and new content to be added you could be in WoW getting more achievements.

And there's the rub. You realize if you are going to stay with this game, there's nothing to do to set yourself apart from the mindless rabble collecting at level 50, no way to swing an ePeen with excitement when all ePeens are the same size. But, in WoW... you still have those Holiday Quests to finish to get this years latest non-combat gift/mount/companion and the latest achievement. You are burning valuable ePeen time in SWTOR that could be used to keep yourself above the rest of the rabble in WoW. But, it's WoW. Gawd, do you really want to go back? Well, if it's means getting adoration from the mindless slags that can visibly see you are superior, then yes! You didn't work hard for all these years just to be like everyone else in the new game. You got your skills down and know what you're doing. Sure, you were a n00b once, but, now, you're the gaming elite. You just wish you could find a way to do this in Star Wars aside from going to the blasted forums and leaving a "I QUIT" thread for everyone, and in there explain, in great detail, how much you know about MMO's. It's really the only way you know how to express your eliteness at this time. Plus, you can go back to WoW for now and wait for some bugs to get fixed. You're already 50 anyway, and that was the hard part, you can just rejoin the game later and with your mad skills, be able to get right back into the game and prove yourself in Star Wars... once the visible ePeen meters are put in the game.

So, good luck, my friend. Elite, hardcore raiders are a young man's game. Mark my words, though. In 20 years, you'll be seeing the games from my perspective, and it's on that sad day when you write yourself one of these open letters on a forum that you will realize the raids have passed you by, and you still gotta get that report to your boss, and the wife wants you to bring home more diapers, the car needs a brake job and the kids Christmas Recital is going to happen the same night as your raid, so you'll have to miss it... you get the point.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good lord do you really think people care that much about what you have to say?

ANYWAYS... I skimmed through some of it. It sounds like you don't like the concept of an MMO, and you enjoy something more along the lines of Skyrim due to the time factor.

That's fine.

EDIT: Just for clarification, not everyone gets married, not everyone has kids, and not everyone that has to get their reports to their bosses use it as an excuse not to be able to handle high end raid content.

Edited by mjblowers

I expected as much, patience is not for today's generation, they want bullet points and brevity. It's the I WANT IT NOW generation, and reading is hard, especially trying to understand a theme that continues on for so long. There were too many side points leading to the main point, I get it. I accept that from ya'll.

From what I skimmed, it seems the poster assumes, everyone playing this game used to play WoW, and that because we all invested time in WoW, we should just stop playing Old Republic now and go back to WoW because there is more to do, or something along those lines.

I love this game, and yes I used to play WoW, I won't deny it. I don't really care about leaving my level 85 to rot for all eternity because I enjoy this game. Now don't get me wrong, there are problems with this game, but what large scale game doesn't have problems upon release. The point of an MMO is that the continued support of subscriptions will allow them to consistantly improve and add upon, so I look forward to the future.

The people who keep comparing this game to WoW, don't seem to understand how long WoW has had to improve it's self. WoW in vanilla was pretty limited. I'd rather compare this game to KOTOR, and then enjoy the fact that there are tons of other people playing with me.

From what I skimmed, it seems the poster assumes, everyone playing this game used to play WoW, and that because we all invested time in WoW, we should just stop playing Old Republic now and go back to WoW because there is more to do, or something along those lines.

I love this game, and yes I used to play WoW, I won't deny it. I don't really care about leaving my level 85 to rot for all eternity because I enjoy this game. Now don't get me wrong, there are problems with this game, but what large scale game doesn't have problems upon release. The point of an MMO is that the continued support of subscriptions will allow them to consistantly improve and add upon, so I look forward to the future.

The people who keep comparing this game to WoW, don't seem to understand how long WoW has had to improve it's self. WoW in vanilla was pretty limited. I'd rather compare this game to KOTOR, and then enjoy the fact that there are tons of other people playing with me.

You got the point, and from skimming, rock on!

Dude. I never made it past level 65 in wow. Boring game is boring. And guess what I DONT rush to endgame because it's pointless to do so especially in a brand new mmo. I don't treat my games like a job. I am enjoying my time immensely and i watch and interact with EVERY conversation I come across because I love them. Don't try and lump me in with your twisted idea of who is playing this game.

I honestly really like this game and have no sense of entitlement that Bioware owes me anything else for my $60. I know the game will be fine tuned over time and I'm ok with that.

I expected as much, patience is not for today's generation, they want bullet points and brevity. It's the I WANT IT NOW generation, and reading is hard, especially trying to understand a theme that continues on for so long. There were too many side points leading to the main point, I get it. I accept that from ya'll.

Insulting people for their choice to not read your wall of text actually says more about you than about them. If you want people to appreciate your opinion, start by appreciating theirs.

Me thinks you don't take feedback very well.

Dude. I never made it past level 65 in wow. Boring game is boring. And guess what I DONT rush to endgame because it's pointless to do so especially in a brand new mmo. I don't treat my games like a job. I am enjoying my time immensely and i watch and interact with EVERY conversation I come across because I love them. Don't try and lump me in with your twisted idea of who is playing this game.

I honestly really like this game and have no sense of entitlement that Bioware owes me anything else for my $60. I know the game will be fine tuned over time and I'm ok with that.

This was not so much about gamers like us, I really think you and I have the same gaming style. I used to be what I wrote about, now I am more like you.

Insulting people for their choice to not read your wall of text actually says more about you than about them. If you want people to appreciate your opinion, start by appreciating theirs.

Me thinks you don't take feedback very well.

I do enjoy feedback, I responded with what I felt. That's a truism of today's generation, not in totality, but en masse, for sure.

I must be some freak of nature because I have not played a single day of WOW. I have played many other MMOs over the last 15 years but not WOW.

I only played the beta, but when the game went public it was way to mainstream for my taste :)

So, good luck, my friend. Elite, hardcore raiders are a young man's game. Mark my words, though. In 20 years, you'll be seeing the games from my perspective, and it's on that sad day when you write yourself one of these open letters on a forum that you will realize the raids have passed you by, and you still gotta get that report to your boss, and the wife wants you to bring home more diapers, the car needs a brake job and the kids Christmas Recital is going to happen the same night as your raid, so you'll have to miss it... you get the point.

--TLDR:

You just play for E-Peen;

If you're raider you don't have a real life;

--Nothing to see here, compile along.

Edited by Granyala