Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why are people missing the big points on slicing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why are people missing the big points on slicing?

Pansophist's Avatar


Pansophist
12.30.2011 , 06:09 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgonKara View Post
If by fluctuating you mean never ending inflation, then I agree with you.
You should hit 50 before you start bombing everyone's post regarding slicing. Or, read the extremely informative thread that is already open.

I can 'print' MUCH more credits/hour through various other ways (space missions being a primary example) than I ever could with pre-nerf slicing.

The problem was that the level 15-35s were bragging about their excessive amount of credits, and other people got their pride injured over it because they were, essentially, poor.

MorgonKara's Avatar


MorgonKara
12.30.2011 , 06:18 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Pansophist View Post
You should hit 50 before you start bombing everyone's post regarding slicing. Or, read the extremely informative thread that is already open.

I can 'print' MUCH more credits/hour through various other ways (space missions being a primary example) than I ever could with pre-nerf slicing.

The problem was that the level 15-35s were bragging about their excessive amount of credits, and other people got their pride injured over it because they were, essentially, poor.
Yeah except with slicing, or any other crew skill that generates straight credits, you can do both at the same time. You could potentially have 3 companions gathering money while you run your space missions. It doesn't have anything to do with being lvl 50 or not. A crew skill that provides nothing but profit in the form of credits, that can be run in the background continuously, will inflate the economy if it's not brought in line with the rest of the game world economy.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

Pansophist's Avatar


Pansophist
12.30.2011 , 06:20 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgonKara View Post
Yeah except with slicing, or any other crew skill that generates straight credits, you can do both at the same time. You could potentially have 3 companions gathering money while you run your space missions. It doesn't have anything to do with being lvl 50 or not. A crew skill that provides nothing but profit in the form of credits, that can be run continuously, will inflate the economy if it's not brought in line with the rest of the game world economy.
This is the primary reason I suggested reading that thread in the first place.

This was covered many, many times. Please educate yourself further by reading through that thread, I think you will find much of it to your liking, despite our somewhat opposing views on the subject.

Edit: I do not say this to be condescending. I say this because, as stated, it has been covered numerous times and it takes a very small amount of effort to read through it. You can even send your companions off on gathering missions while you do it

MorgonKara's Avatar


MorgonKara
12.30.2011 , 06:25 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Pansophist View Post
This is the primary reason I suggested reading that thread in the first place.

This was covered many, many times. Please educate yourself further by reading through that thread, I think you will find much of it to your liking, despite our somewhat opposing views on the subject.

Edit: I do not say this to be condescending. I say this because, as stated, it has been covered numerous times and it takes a very small amount of effort to read through it. You can even send your companions off on gathering missions while you do it
I doubt I would learn anything I don't already know. Crew Skills that yield credits are a bad idea.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

Pansophist's Avatar


Pansophist
12.30.2011 , 06:32 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgonKara View Post
I doubt I would learn anything I don't already know. Crew Skills that yield credits are a bad idea.
I stand corrected. Somehow I doubt you would learn anything by reading through a thread with some very well written knowledgeable pieces in there.

However, I think the reason is different than your claim to knowledge.

Ignorance truly is bliss.

kyuyu's Avatar


kyuyu
12.30.2011 , 06:36 PM | #86
Shut up already. I am so tired of seeing multiple threads on the same topic. Mods should combine all those slicing threads.

If slicing is not profitable or useless, then unlearn it and try other skills.

Unlike other gathering professions, you haven't lost any credits from leveling up, so just unlearn it! I am sure other people will still keep slicing.

So many whiners. Again, unlearn slicing and take biochem if biochem is so good.

Pansophist's Avatar


Pansophist
12.30.2011 , 06:41 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by kyuyu View Post
Shut up already. I am so tired of seeing multiple threads on the same topic. Mods should combine all those slicing threads.

If slicing is not profitable or useless, then unlearn it and try other skills.

Unlike other gathering professions, you haven't lost any credits from leveling up, so just unlearn it! I am sure other people will still keep slicing.

So many whiners. Again, unlearn slicing and take biochem if biochem is so good.
They've been trying to:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=98429

The first one reached something around 170 pages, the second one is on the way there. Not sure if the community mods gave up or what, as the last two nights it was much more condensed into one thread.

Again, however, I must re-iterate that the nerf to slicing was not the problem. The lack of communication is. The nerf to slicing is just one example - you'll find many more in the BH forums (quest chain broken), the PvP forums (...many threads), etc.

MorgonKara's Avatar


MorgonKara
12.30.2011 , 07:32 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Pansophist View Post
I stand corrected. Somehow I doubt you would learn anything by reading through a thread with some very well written knowledgeable pieces in there.

However, I think the reason is different than your claim to knowledge.

Ignorance truly is bliss.
Doubtful. All I see is either a bunch of people complaining that they cant get easy money from sending companions on missions or people that realize that the entire concept is flawed.
Either way it's a lot of complaining about this one topic, which cannot be a good sign no matter how "knowledgeable". They could easily fix it by removing credits from the gathering skills/missions.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

ZingFreelancer's Avatar


ZingFreelancer
12.30.2011 , 08:01 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post
1) The problem wasn't the amount of credits you can earn, it's that you could be a level 10-20 earning them, creating an artificial disparity where low level players were earning max level profits Based on the reported repair and skill costs at level 50, netting 200-300k in a week is peanuts and probably won't keep you afloat. As it stands post nerf slicing is likely not viable for max level characters in order to prevent the level 10s from being "rich".

2) There are very few people who used nothing but slicing to get to the often referenced 500k+ credits at level 20. I was on vacation without a computer that couldn't actually play (ran about 1.5fps), so I spent my off time doing nothing but slicing missions with 2 companions. I netted just over 280k, plus some missions that I have yet to sell...I maybe would top 500, but I doubt it as my server has a glut of missions and (do to point 4) I now plan to keep them for alts.

3) Slicing mission profits cannot be directly compared to Bioanalysis/Diplomacy/etc... The other professions each have a point, gathering mats to sell or use in crafting. The slicers aren't giving net profit after the expense of leveling a crafting profession, so you can't compare the two. The only way to truly compare would be to take a slicing mission's profit and go buy comparable level goods on the GTN or to gather and sell. In my guild we had a member doing just that with UWT and he earned more credits then I did by a pretty large margin.

4) If a lot of people drop slicing or stop running missions that is bad for everyone - the market on the rare missions will dry up and the lvl 50 augments will be unavailable. Why are the crafters rejoicing at the loss of an inexpensive stream of blue/purple missions?
Everything you wrote is correct and I do not wish for rare missions to dry up on GTN, I love them too much!!!

Jonnio's Avatar


Jonnio
12.31.2011 , 05:36 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by kyuyu View Post
Shut up already. I am so tired of seeing multiple threads on the same topic. Mods should combine all those slicing threads.

If slicing is not profitable or useless, then unlearn it and try other skills.

Unlike other gathering professions, you haven't lost any credits from leveling up, so just unlearn it! I am sure other people will still keep slicing.

So many whiners. Again, unlearn slicing and take biochem if biochem is so good.
If you're sick of multiple threads, then ignore them...As far as this one, I was not complaining about the nerf, but rather discussing the constant misinformation that I see in all of the pre and post nerf slicing threads.