Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Framerate Issues - General help and INI tweaks explained.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Framerate Issues - General help and INI tweaks explained.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Duaragon
12.30.2011 , 06:45 AM | #1
First of all, as some of you might remeber i have quite power-house rig.
GTX 590, i7 oced to 4.47, 8 gigs of ddr3 ram 1600mhz, not much to improve here, not like i even should have.
I suffer fps issues like most if not all of the TOR players, it can crawl down to 19-21 in warzones, it can go down to 18-20 in imperial fleet, the game tends to start stuttering and lose performance after 2-3 hours of playing, yes i suffer from all this stuff.
Tested the game on 4 difrent pcs for now [my old one e8400, gtx 260, 2gb of ram, and two rigs of my brother + my laptopt byt my laptop never was a gaming one so it could run crappy even if the game optimisation would be fine]
Any person that will try to convience me this is my hardware or drivers fault - is either dumb or pure ea fanboy, reasuming i wont even consider answering such people [its obvious this is the engine issue]

And now the core of this topic.
First of all - low settings cant help any bit.
The game runs WORSE on low than it do on high.

Second thing - as i dont own a amd card i cant help much for amd users, so if you have radeon card, sadly the graphic card tweaks wont help you much probably.

For nvidia settings - for crist sake do not overclock your cards, do not mess with the settings, just use this tweaks :

Force tripple buffering, set multitasking to enabled.

In game settings - set everything to high [except shadows if you have mediocore rig that is above minimum but not above recomended] except - set character models to low.
Character models option is not what it seems to be, this is the distand lod quality factor, setting it to low makes the game not render distant object details [and you dont need those to be rendered you cant see those after all, belive me you wont notice any visual impact here]
Set the v-sync in game options to be on [dont force it in graphic card options it will make game stutter more, have no idea why - ask this question to incompetent BW that released this crappy untested engine]
Another thing to do INI tweaks :

AntiAliasingLevel = 2

Ensure you have this line setted that way.
Yes it seems od but 2x AA setted from game ini gives FPS boost [for me its around 10-12 fps + comparing to the game with no AA, why - again ask the BW failbrigade]

Then after starting the game - alt+tab it, and go to the task manager.
Find two swtor.exe process, set affinity of the smaller one to core 1 [uncheck core 0, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 depends on how much cores you have] and set it priority to low.
Then set priority of the bigger process to high [but not real time since this may cause crash].
This tweak makes game stutter after 4-5 hours instead of 2-3.

And last but not least - do not mess around more with your pcs, nothing from the rest placebo fixes have any impact on the game, the only thing you may gain is breaking up your machine settings wich will cuase overall system to be unstable.

Hope this will help you all and clear out this game have optimisation issues and all your pcs that are above recomended and can teoretically handle this crap are fine.
Its BW that failed here not users and i do hope people will unsubscribe if they dont fix it till the end of the month [their denyial that there is a problem is already plain stupid, they treat us - players and customers like crap]
Dura Lex Sed Lex

SloatHunter
12.30.2011 , 07:39 AM | #2
So you have found the true holy grail and suggest everyone else stop looking?

Chirality
12.30.2011 , 07:50 AM | #3
Yup, using settings that decrease performance should help increasing performance.

iain_b
12.30.2011 , 07:50 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Duaragon View Post
I suffer fps issues like most if not all of the TOR players
Most, if not all, TOR players do NOT experience FPS issues.
My Little Pwny
Kulok Dunar, Powertech and GM of MLP. Want to join? Click here for info.

Squadron 1020 & 367

Carousel_t
12.30.2011 , 08:16 AM | #5
agree with the settings, they are not what they seems to be, and textures may just as well be designed for LOD distance. there is, however, a major boost if you push your CPU clocks, becuse this game mainly depand on you processor and it can't handle multicore CPUs that well, increasing core frequency gives bigger bonuses than processor's architecture itself (which explains low-frequency high-end processors like i7 2,5GHz). i am also having difficulties with AA, i can force it in my drivers but it slows down my game, and when i try and set it in my ini file, the game wont start - didnt happen to me before i deleted my settings folder.

yes to all people who are asking me if i think this engine is very poorly tested and unfinished. i do think, however, it has amazing potential as it offers great visual effects, nice character movement and scaling plus great environments and lightning.

Conveeyor
12.30.2011 , 08:23 AM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
We recommend strongly not to change the client_settings.ini. Adding a line with functions not supported in game at the moment can cause severe problems with our game. Also please never change the 'client_defaults.ini' - doing so may prevent the game from starting properly.

Thank you.

Conveeyor | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Jeskimo
12.30.2011 , 09:07 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by iain_b View Post
So everyone on the forums is lying.

ItsToof
12.30.2011 , 09:11 AM | #8
Hah! That's a good one....you almost fooled me there!

MEdiKLEZ
12.30.2011 , 09:14 AM | #9
lol, yeah like there isnt this thread which breaks all records in postings and views...

Guaza
12.30.2011 , 09:21 AM | #10
There ARE fps issues. Others hardly notice it, but issue is there.